PDA

View Full Version : Question

Wilbur
05-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I have not gotten the old QC off of the Z truck yet. I am getting ready to take my 357 and handle the job.

Question:
I have a new QC and see no threads on it any where. How does it screw into the Z truck?
I have not been able to see just how this bugger fits onto the Z truck.

Wilbur

PCW
05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Wilbur

The QC has a female thread on it and the spindle has the male thread.

If you are not going to reuse the QC just remove the plastic cover. It is just press fitted on the QC. Some people use a a puller but just don't try tapping on it with anything or you may damage the spindle. If you are careful you may be able to cut the plastic cover off.

You will be able to see what going on better with the cover off and apply heat more precisely. Be careful not to heat the spindle bearings. You can put a wet rag on the spindle to make a heat dam to protect it from the heat. Just be careful and use a small flame and keep in mind that you do not want to heat the spindle or you will need to replace it as well.

I don't know if you have tried the 3" round stock 1/2" dia. in the chuck and apply the heat to it. This worked pretty well for me.

Good Luck

Wilbur
05-15-2009, 07:47 AM
I am not seeing any threads anywhere on the QC.
The plastic cover, LOL, well It is gone. I have melted it all off trying to get this thing off.
I understand that this QC screws on, LOL I know that I am about crazy but I just can't finds the threads you are talking about.

Using a puller. How would that work and what would it take off.?

Just where do I apply the heat. I have already melted the cover and the Timing belt, Got a new belt coming.

I have tried the round stock 1/2" dia.

The square bit that goes up through the QC. I broke that. Got a new one coming but is that to hold something and you use the flat wrench to loosen the QC or does it matter?

As you can see I am at a total loose. Nothing is going as I though it would.

Wilbur

Wilbur
05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
OK. I am blind. My Wife showed me the threads. I guess I could not see for looking. Everything is so clear for me now. They are down in between the wall and guid of some kind.

How would I know if I have done any damage to the bearings of not.?

Wilbur

Icutone2
05-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Sorry to hear all the trouble you are having removing the QC. What I did was insert the square bit into the top of the spindle through the top hat piece and using the flat wrench hold the chuck and turn the square drive bit counter clockwise. I think that if you insert the square bit up through the QC. That would expand the threaded area and make even more pressure on the threaded shaft and the QC. Gust my way of getting it off it worked 2 times and I did not have to heat it up at all.
Lee

Icutone2
05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
The bearings would have alot of play and even sound like thay are dry and crunchy feeling when turned.

Tom75
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
when Had to replace my QC i put a few 2 small drops of acetone on the threads with an eye dropper let it sit for a bit then with some heat put the square bit with a small extension up from th bottom of the QC and and began to turn ( withe a little bit of effort ) and it came off . the acetone trick i saw some where here on the forum .

PCW
05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
when Had to replace my QC i put a few 2 small drops of acetone on the threads with an eye dropper let it sit for a bit then with some heat put the square bit with a small extension up from th bottom of the QC and and began to turn ( withe a little bit of effort ) and it came off . the acetone trick i saw some where here on the forum .

Tom

I will have to remember this trick. But I think the key is two drops of acetone.

Wilbur

Damage may not even show up till it is running. Turn the spindle by hand and see if you can feel any friction spots. The movement should be absolutely smooth. If you can chuck the square bit with a extension to a drill motor at the top of the top hat and give it a test run prior to installing the replacement chuck and listen for any unusual noise. Also grab a hold of the treads at the bottom of the spindle and feel for any side play. Damage should be noticable if the bearings are bad.

Dan

Digitalwoodshop
05-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I have not gotten the old QC off of the Z truck yet. I am getting ready to take my 357 and handle the job.

Question:
I have a new QC and see no threads on it any where. How does it screw into the Z truck?
I have not been able to see just how this bugger fits onto the Z truck.

Wilbur

Yes, I know the feeline... I bet it is RED Locktite.... Red = Forever...

Acetone.... Good Tip....

AL

Tom75
05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
i found the acetone trick here on the forum when i was having trouble in December but i can not for the life of me remember who posted the tip . i would like to give him credit for the tip . when or if i can find the post i saw it in i will let everyone know .

Kenm810
05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
This is the one I found, posted in April last year by GREG

http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/paperclip.gif (http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=672615#) To Loctite or not to Loctite... (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7212&highlight=acetone) post # 12

Tom75
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
i was searching when you posted the thread . i dint know Howe to post threads yet . thank you Kenm810

Wilbur
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Well I got it off. Using a torch to the square nut on the QC.

Don't know just what the loctite color was . It is all gone now after all the heat.

Thanks to all for the help

Wilbur