PDA

View Full Version : What Steps to Prepare a Refurbished Compucarve

5twenty
05-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to meeting all of you the cyberspace way.

Today I purchased a refurbished CompuCarve, it will be delivered next week. I really wanted to buy a new machine but at this time that was just financially not possible. Anyway, even reconditioned, I am very excited to get my machine.

Instead of unpacking the machine and throwing a piece of wood on it to start carving I think that it would be prudent to do my own refurbishment before I do any cutting.

So my question to the experts (you guys!) is this: I know the first thing I need to do is make certain everything is as clean as it was when new, but what other things should I look for and what other things should I do to give myself the best chance for success with a machine someone else disliked enough to return? Is there a way to reset the onboard computer to make certain everything is at factory defaults?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

hess
05-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to meeting all of you the cyberspace way.

Today I purchased a refurbished CompuCarve, it will be delivered next week. I really wanted to buy a new machine but at this time that was just financially not possible. Anyway, even reconditioned, I am very excited to get my machine.

Instead of unpacking the machine and throwing a piece of wood on it to start carving I think that it would be prudent to do my own refurbishment before I do any cutting.

So my question to the experts (you guys!) is this: I know the first thing I need to do is make certain everything is as clean as it was when new, but what other things should I look for and what other things should I do to give myself the best chance for success with a machine someone else disliked enough to return? Is there a way to reset the onboard computer to make certain everything is at factory defaults?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Dan

Pack your gear and head over to the CarveWright site look for Tips and Tricks and start reading. There is a load of info there. The machine are the same so when you see CW just think CC.
Hess

AskBud
05-13-2009, 11:28 PM
5twenty,
The CW/CC has a ROM and is driven by the memory card on all projects.

The only thing I can think of you may need a manually change is the measurement in "Inches v/s Metrics" but that may be a rare occurrence.

Lube & inspection would be wise. I presume that you have pulled the current manual off the CW site.
AskBud

fwharris
05-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Dan,

Welcome to the CC/CW forum!!

Probably the first thing you will want to do is get your machine registered with CW so you can get the latest version of the software and any future updates. You should be able to register on line but there is an outside chance you will need to call CarveWright. Some have reported that the machine ID is already registered with another user. While you are at the CW site it would be a good idea to down load the latest owners manual and software manual, sign up for the monthly tips and tricks news letter and down load all prior issues. Also view the instructional DVD..

You will not need to "reset" anything on the onboard computer other than making sure that the card is flashed with the latest firmware version.

Beyond that you should make sure you have the lubes for the machine: Gunk chain lube with molly or Crane Cam lube with molly for the flex shaft, White lithium grease and 3-1 oil.

Check the head pressure and head leveling, instructions are in the manual.

That is a quick list and I am sure others will have more to add.
Good luck and looking forward to seeing some pictures real soon..

5twenty
05-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow! You guys are awesome. I didn't expect replies so quickly. Thanks for the advice.

I have read all the tips and trick, great stuff there. I just downloaded the manual and am about to jump into that. Tomorrow I'll go out and get those lubes so I'll have them on hand when my CC arrives.

UPDATE: I've looked at the manual and it appears that it contains the information I am looking for. Thanks to all. What I did notice from the brief look at the manual is that it addresses many of the problems I have read about on this forum and others.

Any other ideas are still appreciated.

Deolman
05-14-2009, 01:49 AM
Head pressure and head leveling is important to check as sometimes they get tweaked a little in shipment. The first post in the troubleshooting section of the forum is a good place to look for troubleshooting PDF documents. Lots of good info there. Next go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/downloads

for some good downloads.

And finally go here:

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

for all of the tips and tricks that have been published by users. All of this info will keep you going for a few days.