PDA

View Full Version : Script font

Rick P
05-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I am trying to get the job of replacing a sign for a local small mansion on the Historical Register. They may want the exact same script font as shown in the attached picture. I have never carved in script...does anyone have advice?

I tried some of my script choices in Centerline and they did not even show up on my board on the screen??

Thanks !!!

Old Salt
05-12-2009, 10:21 PM
center line works great with script.

do you have the software to try it?

Rick P
05-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes - I have centerline and have used it for signs, but not in Script.

I am wondering what bits are best?

Will it carve like it looks on the screen ??

Old Salt
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
The 90 & 60 work best .
I use the 60 on small script and the 90 on larger.
The will give a differant look to any font .
best way to see is run a sample with the font name . you can change look with bit choice and bold settings .

a test board can be grate for futue refeance.

cnsranch
05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I tried some of my script choices in Centerline and they did not even show up on my board on the screen??

Thanks !!!

Rick - If you're placing Centerline in a Carve Region, it won't show up in designer - Centerline is, by default, designed to be carved from the top surface of the board. So, if the Carve Region is deeper than the text, the text won't show or carve.

Rick P
05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I was placing the text on the top surface of the board. I did not have a Carve Region.

Digitalwoodshop
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Did you buy the Centerline Option?

I use it and it is fun to use. Just remember not to change the letter spacing too far.

Use BOLD to make the font deeper.

Here are 2 Script Fonts.

AL

cnsranch
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I was placing the text on the top surface of the board. I did not have a Carve Region.

That's weird - can you post an mpc so we can take a look?

atauer
05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes, please post the mpc for us to look at. Something is not right...

bjbethke
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I am trying to get the job of replacing a sign for a local small mansion on the Historical Register. They may want the exact same script font as shown in the attached picture. I have never carved in script...does anyone have advice?

Thanks !!!
I found two free fonts that are close to the sign. They should carve great.

AskBud
05-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Rick,
In reply to your PM:
I used Edwardian Script, in BOLD, using Centerline and a 60 degree bit. In case you are not aware, Centerline is an added $100.00 cost but well worth the cost. It carves into the very top of your board You may extend the spacing between letters on the same screen where you type your words and select your Font. I usually start with a spacing of 10 or 12. As you can see Centerline is the application with the "Fastest" cutting time.

Your Centerline application has a "Default" depth and takes some testing to see how it will turn out until you get used to it on various fonts. I find it best to do a test carve of several letters (in the size that I intend on the project) prior to doing the actual project. This way I see how the carving will turn out before I put in my good wood. Some lettering will tend to look too bunched up as you can only control the spacing via this method. "Bold" makes the problem more pronounced.

All three pics used the same Font. When carving any Text as raised lettering, it's best to place a "Draft" on the text to keep the narrow portions from chipping.
AskBud