PDA

View Full Version : changing a scan with a tapper?

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
ok i read about this problem but the thread didnt have a solution.......ok i have scanned a guitar body.the body has pickup and neck cavities that are 90 deg.(square).i loaded it up and changed the offsets and resized but the pockets came out tapered.i'm racking my brain on how to fix this.if anyone has a suggestion or maybe a link to post with a fix i would appreciate it.
what i'm thinking is if i load the pattern and outline the pockets and tell it to rout them wouldnt it still carve them out first? if so it would still be tapered..

mtylerfl
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
ok i read about this problem but the thread didnt have a solution.......ok i have scanned a guitar body.the body has pickup and neck cavities that are 90 deg.(square).i loaded it up and changed the offsets and resized but the pockets came out tapered.i'm racking my brain on how to fix this.if anyone has a suggestion or maybe a link to post with a fix i would appreciate it.
what i'm thinking is if i load the pattern and outline the pockets and tell it to rout them wouldnt it still carve them out first? if so it would still be tapered..

One way is to draw an outline for the pockets, make it a carve region, copy/paste the outline, assign a straight bit to make a perimeter cut to the same depth and eliminate the taper left behind by the carving bit. (You may have to play with the outline size(s) and /or offset amount to achieve the desired result.)

I take it your scan already has the pockets (which are going to be raster carved just like a carve-region). Draw an outline and resize it/offset it and assign a straight bit to the line (to the same depth of the pocket) to remove the tapered portion.

Another way is to draw the outline and a bunch of appropriately spaced straight lines within the outline and assign a straight bit to them all at the appropriate depth. This will make this area "all vector"cuts, which is much faster than carving a carve region - end result will be the same...nice 90° sides and a pocket at the desired depth.

NOTE: Any interior pocket will have radiused corners (due to the round bit you are using) that you may or may not want - you can use a small chisel to square-off the corners if necessary.

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
it used the 1/16 carve bit and went to the right depth (around .7) but it used the same bit to do the sides.which made my pocket way to large at the top but perfect at the bottom....now i just did the outline using spline cut and then did the rout tool and sized.I'm thinking it will use the 1/16 carve bit still and the 1/8 cutting bit to outline it or take the taper out at the bottom but,it will still be too large.i'm thinking maybe i need to go back to my original scan and resize my pockets a little small then it may turn out close.I'm pretty new to this machine so parden me if i sound like a total noob lol.

mtylerfl
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
it used the 1/16 carve bit and went to the right depth (around .7) but it used the same bit to do the sides.which made my pocket way to large at the top but perfect at the bottom....now i just did the outline using spline cut and then did the rout tool and sized.I'm thinking it will use the 1/16 carve bit still and the 1/8 cutting bit to outline it or take the taper out at the bottom but,it will still be too large.i'm thinking maybe i need to go back to my original scan and resize my pockets a little small then it may turn out close.I'm pretty new to this machine so parden me if i sound like a total noob lol.

You're on the right track - if it were me, I would likely make the outlines manually, using the scanned pattern as a guide for size and position, then edit the scan to make the scanned pockets even with the top and place the outlines onto that one (resave it as a new pattern under another name). Then you would have complete control over the size of the pockets and with 90° sides. Hope that wasn't too confusing!

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
i thinking your probably right.i'll mess with designer alittle more today and see if i can come up with something.

www.go3d.us
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Can you post a snap shot? The only way to carve a straight down pocket is using 1/8" straight bit.

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
well see the problem is when i load a scan up and size it it looks straight.but the machine wants to use the 1/16 carving bit to do the pockets.the bit is tapered.so the deeper it goes the more of a taper you get.now i'm going around .7 deep and it quit a bit off.i wish i could just go into the designer software and outline the pockets and select rout tool and be done but i'm thinking it will still do the 1/16 carve and not have any wood on the side to "clean up" with the 1/8 cutting bit.i dont want waist wood so i'm kinda looking for help or bouncing ideas out there for someone with more experience than i.

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
ok,so i loaded my scan on the board in designer.outline the pockets,chose rout tool and did the 1/8 cutting and the depth.if i'm thinking right i need to somehow copy just the outlined pockets and load it on a "blank" board then go back and do the body top and the sides.but i'm not sure how to copy just the pockets i outlined. if i'm think wrong please feel free

tpruitt
05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
i'll post a scan tomorrow

www.go3d.us
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
well see the problem is when i load a scan up and size it it looks straight.but the machine wants to use the 1/16 carving bit to do the pockets.the bit is tapered.so the deeper it goes the more of a taper you get.now i'm going around .7 deep and it quit a bit off.i wish i could just go into the designer software and outline the pockets and select rout tool and be done but i'm thinking it will still do the 1/16 carve and not have any wood on the side to "clean up" with the 1/8 cutting bit.i dont want waist wood so i'm kinda looking for help or bouncing ideas out there for someone with more experience than i.

You can change the bit to 1/8" by going to edit-->board settings.

tpruitt
05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah go3d,i just tried it.1/8 cutting bit looked like a go in designer then i loaded it to cut on the machine and then it started to cut with the carving bit (it asks for both to home in)....so i just stopped it.....just sat down to look over everything again.

mtylerfl
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
ok i went back and just did the top without the cutout.1/8 under board settings and it still started to cut with the 1/6 carving bit.hope the attachment helps.

Hello,

Because your pattern has all the cavities already on it as raster elements (as opposed to manual vector cavities), yes, the machine will make all of those with your 1/16" carving bit. Using the pattern as it is, you have no choice. I noticed a couple cavities slightly exceed the max. .8" depth of the carving bit, too. Don't know what issues you may/may not run into for that.

tpruitt
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
can i edit my scan to only the pocket and cut those out with the 1/8 cutting bit than go back and use the original scan and take out the pockets and use the 1/16 carving bit.basically a two step,two cut process?

tpruitt
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
yes on the depth i edited it to a max depth of .740 in designer.i figured i could finish them with a hand router.

mtylerfl
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
can i edit my scan to only the pocket and cut those out with the 1/8 cutting bit than go back and use the original scan and take out the pockets and use the 1/16 carving bit.basically a two step,two cut process?

You would need to make the areas where the cavities are, all flat areas even with the top of the guitar body. Then draw the cavities in place manually as I mentioned before in one of the earlier posts.

If you could get your hands on a 1/8" BALLNOSE bit and select that for your carving bit in your project (Edit/Board Settings/Pattern Bit) preferences, that would probably work for your pattern as it is now (and yield straight-sides for the cavities).

www.go3d.us
05-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Find a solution for your problem yet? If not try this. Draw a circle inside the cavity, right click and select bit then pick 1/8" straight bit, set the depth and hit ok. Then copy and paste, you will have another circle, scale the new circle to a bit smaller and place it inside the first circle.

Good luck.

TIMCOSBY
05-20-2009, 02:32 AM
raster carving of the pockets you can edit the scan by painting to the level of the edge of pocket then you wont see it to place the vector paths. try putting a carve region over the pocket after you make a vector outline and set the carve region to 0 then it should not try to raster cut the pocket. cut the pocket with a cutting bit using a series of vector line to hog out the material just like using a router.

tpruitt
05-28-2009, 02:25 PM
well i just drew around the pockets and used a 1/8 bit then went back and made the pockets a little smaller and did a pocket (1/16) cut.worked ok but had to fine tune it in (4 boards later), and then the machine had a z axis fault.took it apart ( damn red loctite) and two bearings were locket up.broke em loose re oiled them and am now waiting to try again......it been a long 10 days.

tmaximus89
06-02-2009, 02:25 AM
I was reading your conversations guys. I maneged to make use of it.
So thanks alot guys.
You guys make my stuffs easy.