PDA

View Full Version : Miters/bevels

Darthmaul1964
05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I have played around with the miter/bevel functions on my CC and thus far have not been very impressed. I did try one picture frame project where I carved the pieces and then tried to use the CC to miter the ends to assemble the frame. After it cut the first end of the first board I abandoned the idea and but the miters on my miter saw (after remaking the board since the miter was so sloppy that it could not be salvaged). The boards were oak and I have since found that often oak boards "slip" on the brass roller and that could have accounted for the sloppy miter. I have not tried it again with some masking tape on the botton front edge of the board to see if that would prevent slipping. I did cut an edge bevel on a sample board and thought it was pretty cool how the maching actually did it but have not actually incorporated it into a project yet.

Has anyone else had good luck with miters/bevels in their projects?

Wilbur
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Try doing the frame from one peace of stock. I did one and it turned out good, both sides.

Darthmaul1964
05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I have learned how to do a frame from a solid piece eliminating the need to miter. But if working on a larger frame you can't do this since you can only machine 15" wide boards on the CC. So I was just wondering if anyone else has used the miter function with better luck.

chebytrk
05-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Try doing the frame from one peace of stock. I did one and it turned out good, both sides.

Would you mind sharing the .mpc for this frame?

Darthmaul1964
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Would you mind sharing the .mpc for this frame?

The frame I made was actually 3 different files. All pieces were made with square ends and then mitered after carving. Wanted to miter them on the CC thinking it would be very accurate but didnt turn out that way.

HighTechOkie
05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I have not actually used it in a project, just played around with the functions as you have. I have beveled a couple pieces of poplar and some PVC for a couple jigs. The results have all been good.

I have come to the conclusion that oak REQUIRES masking tape for the board tracking sensor to keep contact and maintain position. I now make it SOP to put masking tape on all boards before loading them regardless of species. Tape is just too cheap and easy to not do it and incur the expense of ruined boards or broken bits.

Rob

Digitalwoodshop
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I have not actually used it in a project, just played around with the functions as you have. I have beveled a couple pieces of poplar and some PVC for a couple jigs. The results have all been good.

I have come to the conclusion that oak REQUIRES masking tape for the board tracking sensor to keep contact and maintain position. I now make it SOP to put masking tape on all boards before loading them regardless of species. Tape is just too cheap and easy to not do it and incur the expense of ruined boards or broken bits.

Rob

I like the way you THINK !!!!

Board foot of Masking Tape is cheaper than a board foot of WOOD....

You can buy a lot of masking tape for one bad board project.... Or broken $40.00 Cutting BIT....

AL

unitedcases
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Al is dead on, you will not believe it until you try it. Having masking tape under your project is priceless, your cuts are dead on. Then combine that with a sled and WOW! You will find that when the tape is in contact with that brass roller that your miters are more accurate and the machine wont jump or get "OFFCUT" as much. Plus you will probably save a cutting bit or two.:)

Darthmaul1964
05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
The tape need only be along the top edge (closest to the keypad) correct?

PCW
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Bob

Yes it is just to allow more friction contact with the brass roller.

unitedcases
05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
That is the main area. For my sled that I use I have just about the whole thing lined with masking tape. It doesnt slip at all. It wont hurt to add more just dont double it up.

Wilbur
05-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Chebytrk

For the picture frame you can down load it from here. Works real good. When you turn it over turn over end for end.

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Feb09.pdf

Wilbur

Wilbur
05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Can't get into Carvebuddy. Says it has a virus.

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Wilbur

Vista ?

AL

mtylerfl
05-11-2009, 08:40 PM

Wilbur

Hello Wilber,

There's no virus on our site. What happened that caused you to think that?

TerryT
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Wilbur

I think you better check your virus software. It is probably giving you false reading. I have not had a problem with that site at all.

Wilbur
05-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Could be me I suppose. I was blocked saying there was a virus Trojan Horse. May have not been in Carvebuddy I'm not sure. I just know I could not get in. I am able to get in now with no problem.

Wilbur