PDA

View Full Version : The ROCK

cnc4me
05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
One thing I cant seem to find about this new chuck is how do you control the Z heights of different tools? Is there some sort of stop in the chuck?

Icutone2
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
That was also a question I had. Hope someone can clear this up!

rjustice
05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
One thing I cant seem to find about this new chuck is how do you control the Z heights of different tools? Is there some sort of stop in the chuck?

Good question!

I only have time for a quick answer, but....

The machine retouches the bit before it begins after every tool change. The height doesnt matter so much as long as you have enough tool reach that you dont run out of z travel, and it is stick out far enough for the flutes to cut full depth. I am considering stop rings on all the tools that i sell so that a person wouldnt even have to think about this....

I will give some kind of guideline range... but it is a very large range... you can eyeball it no problem..

Thanks,

Ron

cnc4me
05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I was thinking about putting some stop rings on the tools to help control this, but then I thought that maybe the stop ring could cause the tool to runout a bit. And since we are putting this nice new chuck to prevent this....... you see where I'm going.

rjustice
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I was thinking about putting some stop rings on the tools to help control this, but then I thought that maybe the stop ring could cause the tool to runout a bit. And since we are putting this nice new chuck to prevent this....... you see where I'm going.

Yep... i see right where you are going. There are rings that are a solid plastic, that push on pretty tight, but wont move. Since they are basically a donut, they are balanced by nature...

Ron

bjbethke
05-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Good question!

I only have time for a quick answer, but....

The machine retouches the bit before it begins after every tool change. The height doesnt matter so much as long as you have enough tool reach that you dont run out of z travel, and it is stick out far enough for the flutes to cut full depth. I am considering stop rings on all the tools that i sell so that a person wouldnt even have to think about this....

I will give some kind of guideline range... but it is a very large range... you can eyeball it no problem..

Thanks,

Ron
That may only hold true if you can do a complete carving - with out a power failure. It may be a problem if you need to do a re-carve. That is the reason for the adapters in the QC.

rjustice
05-11-2009, 12:13 PM
That may only hold true if you can do a complete carving - with out a power failure. It may be a problem if you need to do a re-carve. That is the reason for the adapters in the QC.

Perhaps someone else could jump in and confirm, but the machine will not remember the offsets of the tool lenghts. If you have a power failure, it will re touch the bits on the bitplate, and on the top surface of the wood again when you restart anyway, at least that is my experience....

Let me know if i am wrong ??

Ron

jiml
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Why can't you use a short length of shrink tube to mark each bit so you know how far to stick it in?

rjustice
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Why can't you use a short length of shrink tube to mark each bit so you know how far to stick it in?

Great idea!... cutting little 1/8 long slivers and get them right where the need to go... heat it and your done forever! A 6" length would last a looooong time!

:D

Perfect solution!

Ron

chebytrk
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Ron,
Did you get the Paypal link to work yet?

rjustice
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes... Not the way i wanted it, but it is working on Tommy's website. www.compucarvewright.com

There is a pulldown menu to select what you would like.

Thanks,

Ron

TWOATLOW8
05-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Ron
Was it working this morning ?

chebytrk
05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Ron
Was it working this morning ?

Yup....... working now. Just ordered mine. Hope it doesn't take too long to get here! Gettin' my ROCK soon! : )

bdehoyos
05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
can youn use 1/8 shank bits with the Rock ?

Icutone2
05-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Worked for me I used the top link.
Lee

Digitalwoodshop
05-11-2009, 01:41 PM
OK from the Electronic Side of this bit changing and numbers issue.

Lets say you only use one bit.

The machine does it's bit flag and touches the wood and if a cut path touches the right guide plate. Then off it goes cutting with no problem.

Lets say you have a project with 2 bits, carving and cut path.

You would load the cut path bit and it would do the bit flag, touch the board, and touch the right side guide. It would remember the numbers.

You load the carving bit and it does the bit flag and touches the board and Off it goes cutting.

Now it is time to load the Cut Path Bit. It touches the Bit Plate, Board, and Right Side Guide. Somewhere in all that touching it looks at the numbers it got from the initial loading of the bit. It finds the numbers are Different. It asks you? Something to the Effect Bit Length Does NOT MATCH. 1 Continue and 2 Refind the Bit length.

Press 1 and it forgets all about the red headed step child of a first reading and with ALL NEW READINGS, LENGTH, BIT FLAG, BOARD, and RIGHT Side Guide, then OFF it goes cutting your project Forgetting all about the old numbers... DOES NOT MATTER....

Now lets say you have a 4 Bit Project, V60 ad V90 Text.... With the second time you load the bit it will tell you that the bit does NOT match and give you options 1. Continue or 2. Refind..... In every case the fist reading did not matter.

With a 4 bit project I would be tempted to put in the Carving Bit and let it find the bit length, Bit Plate, Board ALL with the Carving Bit not even bothering to put in the V60, V90, or Cut Path Bit. Saving time and just telling the machine to Continue when it found the length different the SECOND and REAL Cutting TIME.

As for a power failure.... If the carving was still in progress at power fail I would do all the bit checks with the carving bit installed to not loose the height.

OR... You could take the Carving Bit out of the machine, throw it up into the air a few times, catch it behind your back, scratch your ear with it.... Then install it back into the machine and let it do all it's bit checks. It will still find the bit length, bit flag, and board face in a uncarved area just like the first time.

IT DOES NOT MATTER..... Only the bit checks right before carving really matter....

A project carved before the power failure will carve the same depth after the power failure.

It is all about 1. The Bit Flag, and 2. Touching the board. If you have a Cut Path then 3. The Right Side Guide. Place a penny on the right side guide and watch your tabs get thicker...

SO bit Depth markers are unnecessary. Getting a short bit like a V60 to stick out enough that while doing deep text you don't run out of Z Down Travel is important.

Common sense.

Great Job Ron !!!!

Great Job Joe !!!!

AL

Jeff_Birt
05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Please direct all questions about other companies business transactions directly to that company/person. This forum is not for other folks to conduct their own business.

Product announcements are OK, doing your business on the forum is not.

Pratyeka
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Digitalwoodshop -> Thanks for this info, very clear and informative.

rjustice
05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
can youn use 1/8 shank bits with the Rock ?

You will need a 1/8 sleeve which i will release in the near future. It will need to be a precision sleeve to maintain runout, and balance.

rjustice
05-11-2009, 08:07 PM
AL,
Thank you for that clear explanation...