PDA

View Full Version : bearing lose?

hess
05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
during a check and clean of both units today I noted the CW z *** was able to be moved and noted the left (looking at the unit) lower bearing or wheel on the Z was lose. The screw seemed lose also attempted to tighten it but it all just turns so I think I may have lost a bearing? Always hear of them freezing must be to hot here in TX for that

Hess

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
The lower left bearing is not eccentric and is drilled in the center. I had that the first time I had a bearing problem. Not knowing what to really do to fix it I did the next best thing... I BROKE IT BETTER..... I used a SCRIBE to hold the nut on back and turned the screw. Soon the scribe delivered the rubber bearing seal like a dentist pulling out last week's Steak from between you back teeth... Nasty....

So here is the deal.... You must remove the Z Truck to get to the nut.

Power OFF unplugged.

Remove the Z Motor by unplugging the cables and removing the top screw and others.

Using a flat thin wrench go for the top right bearing. Using your BEST #2 Philip's Screwdriver to HOLD NOT TURN the screw, Use the Wrench to loosen the Bearing nut by turning the wrench clockwise or down. Turn the bearing so it is in the most open position.

Masking Tape.... Take some masking tape and put it on the left and right rails or rail rods as they will fall out when the Z is removed getting nicks and dents.... BAD....

Now do the same with the bottom Right Bearing opening it all the way.... Remember the Bearing Screws STRIP Very EASY..... I have some NEW SCREWS from a forum member testing them.... ALLEN Head QUALITY SCREWS.... He might be releasing them soon after testing.

So you have the Z off in your hand, it is now time to tighten the left bearing screw. You could remove the screw and use your choice of Lock Tite on it... I use Blue but others like Forever RED.

Now for intallation... Take time at this time to look at the Z Belt and snug the screws holding the belt to the Z Truck. Refurbished Z Trucks have been received with loose Z Belt Screws. I know of 4 including myself.

Watch the cog belt while you install the Z Truck. I mark the bearing flat closest to the screw with nail polish. That is the flat that should be OUT when the Z Truck Bearing is fully closed. Easier to see that way. I put the wrench on the bearing nut with the nail polish facing out. I snug the screw. I do the other bearing to the snug point.

Then I put the wrench back on the nail polish flat facing out and loosen the nut 1/8 of a turn. I then snug up the Philip's Screw then tighten the Wrench back 1/8 of a turn. Never try to turn the screw as it will STRIP then you need to drill them out. Never OVER Tighten the Wrench.... Too loose and the bearing will rotate by itself and too tight and you SNAP the Screw... I have snapped 2 screws.... I do order extra screws when I order bearing.

Install the Z Motor and your back up and runnng.....

If your lower Right Bearing screw does NOT have a Black Washer, I would find one, make one.... The Washer prevents the taper of the screw from splitting the metal of the Z Truck. Early Z Trucks have light metal in that area. The washer fixes that problem.

So that is the TRICKS I have learned....

Here are some pictures....

Good Luck,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Here is a picture with the Nail Polish, it makes it easier to see if the bearings are in the fully closed position. It they are not fully closed you get vibration, poor quality carvings, and something can break.

AL

OK.... since we are on the Z Truck... I came upon this last set of pictures.... After not getting my QC hot enough on a refurbished Z Truck trying to remove the bad QC, I broke all 3 square drives I had gotten from Ron last summer. Must be some of that FOREVER RED that LHR Loves. I like Blue.... I got SO frustrated with trying to remove the QC that I decided to do a Bone Head thing... I drilled the Z Truck and installed the 1/8 inch Drill bit all the way through the hollow shaft and the z Truck.... Heated the QC and tried again.... The Result.... BENT the DRILL BIT..... QC still FOREVER RED Tight to the Truck.

It is in my BONE Yard Drawer.... I would NOT recommend doing that... The cast metal also broke making a BIGGER HOLE.... No... Not my greatest hour.... It serves as a example of what NOT to DO.....

:) AL

unitedcases
05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
WOW Al, I think you are trying to put tech support out of a job. Be careful, someday someone will pick up on your secret. Excellent pictures!:)

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Out of a Job no.... Do I like to fix stuff.... Yes...

Spent 20 years operating and fixing Navy Fire Control Radars and Computers.

The last 4 at a Shore Station and got picked for a Mobile Technician Team known as MOTU-5 or Mobile Technical Unit Five in San Diego. We would be called to the Ships to fix stuff that the Sailors on board could not fix. Since I worked on the system that the Coast Guard used on the Cutters, I got called to Boston in the middle of the winter the week Nancy Karrigan got a little bump on the knee before the Olympics... We fixed a Radar problem days before the Ship went to Alaska for a few months. The Coast Guard was SO happy with us they flew us to Key West during Spring Break that Spring to do that same fix on another Cutter. There are still pictures in my old Office in San Diego, one with the Team in Green Parkas and Snow and another in Shorts at the most Southern Point of the US.

After Navy Retirement it was off to Sony to keep the CRT or Picture Tube making stuff working, Fanuc Robots, RF Generators, Power Supplies, Conveyors and more. Did that for 2 years then competed with 35 guys for a job in the Calibration Lab. Was #1 and got the job, only missed one Electronic Question... Impressed the HR Girl... My New Boss was EX Navy and Knew I was the ONE..... Did well there. Got Engineering Employee of the Quarter for solving a Power Supply problem that saved piles of money and had Sorensen come in and replace a part in 400 plus power supplies... A slight design flaw I found.... They knew.... I found out later.... Before I discovered the problem THEY had been sending out 5 power supplies a week for them to fix.... That ended.... Sort of like the ROCK will end buying QC's.

Then after a divorce off to Philly to the Service Center fixing everything from Phones to Play Stations... Got my 15 SECONDS of fame at Sony being on a National TV for about 15 seconds... They filmed a TV program for the CBS Evening News about about High Tech Throw Aways. They filmed me fixing a circuit board for a Sony Tivo and used the back of my work bench as a back drop. I got 15 seconds in two shots in the final cut. It was shown on Thanksgiving Night CBS Evening News... Of the 50 Sony Techs trying to VHS it... One got it.... Only to have his wife record a Oprah over it.... :(

The Video was on the CBS Site for a few years but is long gone.

I did find a website where people write in problems with consumer electronics and I went thought and posted about 25 fixes for various problems... That was fun.... Got a few feedbacks that it helped.... Something differend.... Mostly DVD Problems.

Well enough ego stuff....

Yes, I like fixing stuff... And Teaching... Did 3 years as a Electronic Instructor of my 4 at Great Lakes... Go NAVY...

AL

chebytrk
05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Out of a Job no.... Do I like to fix stuff.... Yes...

Spent 20 years operating and fixing Navy Fire Control Radars and Computers.

The last 4 at a Shore Station and got picked for a Mobile Technician Team known as MOTU-5 or Mobile Technical Unit Five in San Diego. We would be called to the Ships to fix stuff that the Sailors on board could not fix. Since I worked on the system that the Coast Guard used on the Cutters, I got called to Boston in the middle of the winter the week Nancy Karrigan got a little bump on the knee before the Olympics... We fixed a Radar problem days before the Ship went to Alaska for a few months. The Coast Guard was SO happy with us they flew us to Key West during Spring Break that Spring to do that same fix on another Cutter. There are still pictures in my old Office in San Diego, one with the Team in Green Parkas and Snow and another in Shorts at the most Southern Point of the US.

After Navy Retirement it was off to Sony to keep the CRT or Picture Tube making stuff working, Fanuc Robots, RF Generators, Power Supplies, Conveyors and more. Did that for 2 years then competed with 35 guys for a job in the Calibration Lab. Was #1 and got the job, only missed one Electronic Question... Impressed the HR Girl... My New Boss was EX Navy and Knew I was the ONE..... Did well there. Got Engineering Employee of the Quarter for solving a Power Supply problem that saved piles of money and had Sorensen come in and replace a part in 400 plus power supplies... A slight design flaw I found.... They knew.... I found out later.... Before I discovered the problem THEY had been sending out 5 power supplies a week for them to fix.... That ended.... Sort of like the ROCK will end buying QC's.

Then after a divorce off to Philly to the Service Center fixing everything from Phones to Play Stations... Got my 15 SECONDS of fame at Sony being on a National TV for about 15 seconds... They filmed a TV program for the CBS Evening News about about High Tech Throw Aways. They filmed me fixing a circuit board for a Sony Tivo and used the back of my work bench as a back drop. I got 15 seconds in two shots in the final cut. It was shown on Thanksgiving Night CBS Evening News... Of the 50 Sony Techs trying to VHS it... One got it.... Only to have his wife record a Oprah over it.... :(

The Video was on the CBS Site for a few years but is long gone.

I did find a website where people write in problems with consumer electronics and I went thought and posted about 25 fixes for various problems... That was fun.... Got a few feedbacks that it helped.... Something differend.... Mostly DVD Problems.

Well enough ego stuff....

Yes, I like fixing stuff... And Teaching... Did 3 years as a Electronic Instructor of my 4 at Great Lakes... Go NAVY...

AL

Hey Al,
Thanks for your service! My son-in-law is up at Great Lakes teaching now .... Electrican of some type. He's got orders for SF this Nov. Another 4 years and he's retiring which I know he's looking forward to as I did when retiring from the Army.

hess
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
DW thanks. it is a lot of detail but pics put it together.

USS Forestall 73 76

Thanks Hess