PDA

View Full Version : How warm is to warm?

autobodyman
05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Doing an 11 hour carve, my cable sheath is running up to about 135° in some places (warmest on the tightest part of the bend). I pulled the cable and it looks like it has plenty of grease on it.

What's the norm for temperature?

Thanks ~Mike

bjbethke
05-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Doing an 11 hour carve, my cable sheath is running up to about 135° in some places (warmest on the tightest part of the bend). I pulled the cable and it looks like it has plenty of grease on it.

What's the norm for temperature?

Thanks ~Mike
When I received my CW unit in Dec 2007 it came with a wire tie on the spring connected to the cable sheath and it made a dent in the outer sheath. I removed the wire tie and adjusted that spring to a point where, when the flex shaft was in the home position it was at a point where it was centered on the shaft but not touching it. It always has, had a hot spot at that point on long carves.

The first time I returned my machine in for a repair I sent it in with out the flex shaft. They sent me a new flex shaft. The new flex shaft has never gotten warm for over a year now.

I now have two outer cable sheaths and three inter shafts. I keep the extra shafts in a wide mouth 1/2 pint Jelly Jar, they roll up in the bottom of the jar and I keep them in the Molly Lube. It’s a nice place to store them. If the flex shaft gets hot I just swap inter shafts.

You may have a broken inter spring that might cause the friction on the shaft.

Wilbur
05-10-2009, 06:56 AM
I don't know if there is a norm or not but I noticed mine running hot as well after 35 hr run time.
I got to watching the temp more and found it to go up to 140° F. I also found that my carving was rough. I also heard a difference in the cutting noise.
After taking a closer look I found a slight looseness in the QC. I am down now having to change the QC which is not covered under warranty.
As for me I am having one heck of a time getting the old one out. Have done everything suppose to do but can't get that bugger loose.
Looking like replacing the Z truck with QC is going to be my best option.

Wilbur

This is my second machine. The first one never run more than light warm. The second one I have lubed the shaft twice with no cooling at all.