PDA

View Full Version : Best vs Optimal

Darthmaul1964
05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Reading several posts about uploading designs to the memory card I am wondering if I will get a better result with Best or Optimal. I am guessing that Optimal will produce the best carving but just wanted to be sure. It certainly adds plenty to carving time.

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 03:39 PM
It makes an amazing amount of difference.

DocWheeler
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Bob,

I have only done four projects with optimal. My experience with poplar is that the drawer-front I did with best took about 3.5 hours to carve and 1 hour sanding whereas the ones I did with optimal took 8.25 hours to carve and a half hour to sand. With select pine I found that optimal cut my sanding down to minutes on a smaller project (a lot of difference).

So, I'd say that a lot depends upon the wood itself.

Another thing, I currently am using a rather weak Down-draft cart (700 cfm) where I do not need to stop the carve with optimum since the dust is fine, but I need to vacuum it out with best.

Maybe this did not answer your question, but it may add some insight into other things to consider.

atauer
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Bob,

I have used the optimal setting on numerous test projects here at the shop and it does make a difference. True, it does increase the amount of time needed to carve, but the final result is a much smoother carve with, depending on material, little or no cleanup needed.

HOBBIT CARVER
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Bob,

I will agree that it all depends on the wood you are using. If I am using regular or select pine, I will carve on optimal every time. However, if I am using Poplar, I will carve on best.

mtylerfl
05-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Hello,

Some projects are definitely worth the extra time - for example, my recent Lincoln Cent Coin Bank project has fairly thin raised lettering in a carve region. I highly recommend using the new Optimal setting when carving this particular project.

Even though the rather thin lettering has a medium draft setting, a person could possibly get chipout if using a lower setting.

A couple other advantages of the Optimal setting (besides a superior overall carve quality)...

- we can now do some things we might have been a little hesitant to try before.

- the Optimal setting moves the carving head more "gently" than the lower settings which could be the main reason for less chipout issues, as well. Even though the machine takes longer to do a carving, I believe that it reduces stress on the machine, which may translate into longer life for some of the mechanical components. (Probably no way to prove that - just a gut feeling I have.)