PDA

View Full Version : Change out QC

Wilbur
05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Well I started to change out the QC and done everything I was told to do heated the QC for about 5 min and went to take the QC out and broke off the Spindle Square Recess Wrench up inside the QC. Can't get it out.
What can I do to get this thing out. LHR is sending another wrench. It want do any good unless I can get the broken one out.

Wilbur

PCW
05-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Wilbur

Can you use a small punch and lightly tap with a hammer to push it out?

Edit> With the bit holder out and the top flex shaft removed it should be able to either go down or up depending on the way you want approach it. The square slot is accessible from the either bottom or the top of the spindle with nothing blocking it from coming out. It is a straight shot all the way Thu the spindle.

Digitalwoodshop
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I broke 3.... I just did not heat the QC hot enough.... It was a LHR Refurbished and they got there money out of the Red Locktite... I just ordered 2 more from RJustice yesterday.

It all comes down to heat... There was a post a while back about mounting a 1/2 inch rod in the machine and heating that to get to the core of the threads....

I have also ordered a 1/4 inch ROCK Chuck from RJustice so I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I have 3 back up Z Trucks as It is quicker to change a Z Truck for me then mess with the heat on the QC while I have a project waiting. I will do them as a batch on the bench.

Good Luck,

AL

Wilbur
05-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks PCW
I decovered that by accident and did what you said and it came right out. LHR is sending another spindle wrench.
Where do you think the heat needs to be directed to do the best?

AL
I see where you are coming from. Change the Z Truck is a lot easer.

Wilbur

PCW
05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Wilbur

The heat needs to get to the treads on the chuck where it mounts to the spindle. Pratyeka had a good tip a while back using a piece of 1/2" steel round stock where the bit adapter goes. Then applying the heat to the round stock for 2 minutes with a 1" flame and that will transfer the heat to the treads without melting the plastic. Just don't get the flame to close to the plastic cover. Once you get to the proper heat it is a easy chore.

The square bit should be able to be found at a hardware store if you don't want to wait for a replacement from LHR.

Wilbur
05-10-2009, 07:22 AM
LOL, well its' not funny.

I did the rod thing and after 8 min of heat that bugger will not move. I have had the Z truck where you put your thumb so hot that it has changed color.
I found square bit but it is not a snug fit.
I even took advice from LHR and tried holding shaft with square bit at the top. Have striped that out now.
Looks like I will need to get a Z truck assembly with the QC on it.
Second machine with different set of problems, strange. The biggest problem here it no warranty on QC.
Well, I'm going to ride this out for 5 yr no matter what.

Wilbur