PDA

View Full Version : new carver looking for insight

jab73180
05-08-2009, 12:02 AM
i was just wondering if it is better to run your project through the machine 2 times. in theory it should make a better carve, but a con is undue wear and tear on the machine. i made a simple stool project and i hit the stop button like the dummy i am, so i had to run the project through again. it seemed like the carve regions were very smooth after the second pass. I must ask myself, is it worth it. also is there anyway to assign which side of the line the carve region carves. same stool project i made a carve region to hold a cross brace to sit in 3/4" by 1 1/2" but it carved it 1/8" larger. i just need to remember it but it would be nice to be able to control it.

-Jason

MCGEE2SKINNER
05-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Jab
It doesn't seem to make that much difference the second time it just cuts air. Go into edit cutout and use the flip cut to change the side it cuts on.

Good luck
JIM

TerryT
05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
i was just wondering if it is better to run your project through the machine 2 times. in theory it should make a better carve, but a con is undue wear and tear on the machine. i made a simple stool project and i hit the stop button like the dummy i am, so i had to run the project through again. it seemed like the carve regions were very smooth after the second pass. I must ask myself, is it worth it. also is there anyway to assign which side of the line the carve region carves. same stool project i made a carve region to hold a cross brace to sit in 3/4" by 1 1/2" but it carved it 1/8" larger. i just need to remember it but it would be nice to be able to control it.

-Jason
What quality setting are you using? Optimum is the highest quality but it can take 1.5 to 5 times longer to carve depending on the project. For me the Optimum setting produces great results for projects that are highly detailed and difficult to sand or projects that you just want that little extra quality on. 99% of my projects are run on the "Best" setting.

jab73180
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
thanx for the reply Mcmotorcycle rider, real good tip. terry i just downloaded the latest version of designer. i had 1.131 i think, so i didnt have the optimum setting til now. cant wait to use it, but i am waiting on a bit that i broke. :mad:

cestout
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
If your machine is running good and you have a good bit, best is all you need for most projects. But you need to get a MOP. Go to RJRStueios.com. I was using a MOP long before CarveWright or CompuCarve were around. It will sand routed stuff without tasking away the detail. Will cost you about $65 last time I looked, but indispensable. I carve a lot of soft wood, so I use the 220 grit. For hard wood you will need 180 grit. You can also get mininops for you Dremel rotary tool. Dremel also makes a profile sander that helps a lot. These are tools that you wonder if you need them, but when you have them you wonder how you survived without them.
Clint

TWOATLOW8
05-15-2009, 03:29 PM
RJRStueios.com or www.rjrstueios.com doesnt work ?

just wanted to see what you were talking about

Kenm810
05-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Try this http://www.rjrstudios.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MP :wink: