PDA

View Full Version : Need to fix chipped raster text carve

fwharris
05-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I did a .250 raster carved text and it chipped out a fair amount of the tops of the letters. I had it at .250 depth with small draft but still chipped.

Question is, could I take the lettering down even with the carve region and re carve with outline text?

I would set the depth to .270 to .285. Looked like it would be good in designer.

Second question is, if I do this I would plan on just setting up a new project with just the outline text that would go into the same spot as the original project.
Would this work???

supershingler
05-08-2009, 07:58 AM
i cant see any reason why this wouldnt work.

how are to going to remove the original letters?

the area would probably show in the final if you dont get a nice flat surface before the recarve.

hope it works for you

good luck

kendall

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
You might want to create a carve region in a new project that's where the text now is - let it carve, it'll clean up/remove the raster text. Then create another with the outline where you want it.

fwharris
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Kendall,

I would plan on taking the raster down with a chisel and sandpaper to get it as smooth as possible. The lettering came out thinner than what I thought it would be even with draft set at small.

For the outline text carve I was thinking that it would be the same as doing it in a normal carve region from the start. I might have to do the jog to touch routine as the edge route might be in the area the bit would normally touch the surface of the board.

Of course all of this depends on the customer!!!! Hate to see the 14 1/2 X 28 piece of cherry wasted..

fwharris
05-08-2009, 09:10 AM
You might want to create a carve region in a new project that's where the text now is - let it carve, it'll clean up/remove the raster text. Then create another with the outline where you want it.

Jerry,

Great idea!!! Never thought about that!!

Thanks..

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I actually thought of something you didn't? Woohoo!! :mrgreen:

supershingler
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
fw

you could always flip the board over and carve it on the back. then take a piece of 1/4" cherry ply and laminate it to the back and add a little frame around the whole thing to hide your miscarve.

just a thought

kendall

fwharris
05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Another option I might try is Jerry's idea for the carve region carve over and then on another piece of wood re carve the text AT THE CORRECT SETTINGS and apply them on to the board...

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
That can work, or you could use KenM's (or is it Doc's) technique for adding new wood to a carve region, and carving it from there (Tips and Tricks).

***EDIT***

That was Doc - December '08

fwharris
05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Jerry,

Another good idea!!! You have your thinking hat on today!!!

I will have to go back and read that. If I recall that was glued wood onto the surface and then carved.

Just got off the phone with the customer and thinking about the outline text option as the way out. She will not get back with me until this afternoon. Until them I think I am going to try to re carve the text by itself just to see what it would look like..

Thanks for all of the tips....

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Here's another one for you (this will make some shudder)

Raster is so cool in a Carve Region, but I'm just not a fan of outline, period.

(Here's the shudder) - you can fool the machine to carve centerline in the CR - The attached has a CR of .25". I have a "dummy bit" that's exactly .25" shorter in the adapter than my 90v Bit. When I set up the the CL program, jog to touch on an area of the board that's not yet carved with the dummy bit, it'll go thru its motions, and when it's ready to spin up, open the cover, change to the correct bit, and away it goes. The machine thinks the bit's a certain length, but it's .25" longer, so it will carve correctly (actually .25" deeper than it thinks it is carving). Poses no problems, because you're not carving away more material than the machine believes it's carving.

Works great for me.

fwharris
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Jerry,,

Not only shudder but give em a headache...LOL

I do not have the extra bit but another good idea..

Wasn't there some that was doing centerline in a carve region by doing the jog to touch in the carve region instead of the board surface?

Outline if not one of my favorites either especially for small text size. I have used it on large size text and it does look good. This text, unfortunately is .75 x 5"..

Man I hate it when a plan does not come together!!!

cnsranch
05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I've tried to jog to the CR, but the machine goes thru the bit load loop over and again. Doc once said that the machine has a brain cramp if the CR is deeper than something like .10".

fwharris
05-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I've tried to jog to the CR, but the machine goes thru the bit load loop over and again. Doc once said that the machine has a brain cramp if the CR is deeper than something like .10".

Do not want the CW to have a brain cramp, I know how it feels and it is not good....:confused:

Digitalwoodshop
05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
The way I do the Fire Maltese Cross with Centerline in a Carved Region is make 2 files.

First file has a blank area carved to depth for the text to go later.

To make the second file, I save under a different name bring the depth to zero and insert my Centerline Text with a V60 in my case. Delete everything except the Centerline Text and let it carve. I reinforce the already cut, cut path with masking tape to keep the tabs from breaking.

And I use jog to position all the time, when it does not matter, I just press enter where it is and off it goes.... It's a menu setup.

It seams like a lot of work, but the results are worth it.

AL

fwharris
05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Al,

Thanks! So you do the "jog to touch" to the carve region for the top surface area find or jog to position to start the carve??