PDA

View Full Version : Selling Projects

hobbycentral
05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Although this machine is marketed as a hobby machine, it is apparent that most users on the forum are using it for commercial ventures in one way or another. I don't see any concering the commercial use of the projects in the Carvewright store. I have seen that they are multi-use licenses. Is it ok to sell the finished projects? I understand that the license/project files cannot be sold. But, If I buy a project and feel that I can sell the finished project in one of my stores - is it allowable?

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

fwharris
05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Bill,

Sure is!!! I've sold several of the trout projects, they are a big hit with the fishing crowd..

DocWheeler
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
hobbycentral,

I do not believe that there are any restrictions in the licenses for patterns being only to make things for yourself. The licenses restrict your copying and/or selling the pattern itself, not the carved end-product.

mtylerfl
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes, by all means feel free to sell the items you make from the patterns and projects you have purchased. The end product of what you create is yours to do with what you will. Make that machine pay for itself - and then some! (Hopefully - a LOT of "then some" for you!):D

Wilbur
05-07-2009, 04:08 PM
This is something that you have to be careful with. I ran into this very thing while I was making molds. It all depends on the person that has the patent's to the item in question.
Just because you buy something does not always mean you can do with it what you want.
You buy something from any ball team, Disneyland or Coke. I assure you if they find out about you copying anything of there's for sale then will come down on you hard.
I fill the same way as you all do. I am just saying you need to know for sure, what you can do with it from the owner.

Wilbur

mtylerfl
05-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, good point Wilber. Anything like company logos, military symbols, sports logos and the like are taboo for resale without express written permission from the copyright or trademark holder.

However, "normal" patterns of animals, plants, decorative objects, original artworks by the pattern creator, etc., are normally fine to make items for resale with.

hobbycentral
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I understand the issues with copyrighted material. The reason I asked is due to some issues within the hobby industry:
1. In the last 2-3 years two major legal actions occurred that have had a major impact on model making.
a. Military manufacturers in particular Lockheed started suing model makers that were producing models of WWII aicraft for copyright/Trademark infringement. Initially cried foul due to the fact that most of these aircraft were developed with public funds. So far no one has been able to over-turn this. Manufacturers are being charged license fees. Lockheed even challenged small companies (guys working out of their garages). One guy was making small balsa airplanes that were profiles of P-38's etc.. He is now paying license fees. There is a proposed law that is intended to protect model makers from these fees. It's been stalled for two years - imagine that LOL.

b. Union Pacifc and several other railroad lines forced the same issue and even attempted to collect royalties retroactively. This was fought hard by the model railroad industry and an agreement was made.

Of the projects I've looked at so far there hasn't been any disclaimers about using them for commercial use. But, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Bill

Wilbur
05-08-2009, 07:49 AM
In my 17 yr of candle and mold making I have found that everything that is being sold dealing with this anyway has copy wrights or patents.

I have almost been sued twice. In most or all cases you will get a letter from Lawyers telling you to stop.

This will give you time to decide on what to do. In my case I did not have the money to fight.

From my experience someone will let you know for sure.

Wilbur