PDA

View Full Version : Encoder question

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I cleaned out the encoder but the disc has a slight film of dust. Any suggestions on how to clean that off. Can I just wipe it off with a rag?

liquidguitars
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I think this is a question for Jeff Birt as removing the back of the Zpack it could be adding issues later unless you re caulk.. to be safe
you could order a new one.

I tried to rebuild a Zpack back in the day and it was a bad idea. I now limit the air guns direction at the zpack as not to blow dust into the
encoder location.

so I not sure..

LG

DocWheeler
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
unitedcases,

As long as you don't remove the indexing marks or add marks that the encoder see, you will be fine.

As stated in other posts about this, try to seal it good when you reassemble.

Good job in getting the dust out, it should work better now!

liquidguitars
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
well OK,

Generally when the Zpack seal is compromised and has fine black dust around the encoder its a sign of failure and cleaning it is folly and after will damage a expensive project down the road. just my 2 cents

Al would know 2..

LG

Digitalwoodshop
05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I cleaned out the encoder but the disc has a slight film of dust. Any suggestions on how to clean that off. Can I just wipe it off with a rag?

It is just a LED and a Photo cell. The lines on the encoder wheel cause on off pulses in the computer. You can look at the pulses by calling up the encoder data and move the wheel and watch it count. If your hand motion is not giving you the correct results than the encoder could be bad.

A more than likely problem is the round solder pads have a fracture in the copper where the lead leaves the pad. Re soldering the pads could save an encoder.

And yes, the dark dust could prevent the computer from seeing counts and result in errors. The cleaner the better. I would use a Q tip and compressed air... Gentle AIR...

I have an extra encoder, I bet you can still buy them from LHR.

AL