PDA

View Full Version : Another technique resource

MikeMcCoy
05-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I was looking for a how-to for a plaque that I was having a technique problem doing some burning on and ran across this site. There are obviously things for sale but browse down toward the bottom right of the page and there is a ton of links to various primers that can be used in conjunction with the CW. Looks like a good resource for those wanting to broaden their basic skills a bit.

http://www.carvingpatterns.com/projects/burn-two.htm

No affiliation to the site but I like learning.

geekviking
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanx for the site, Mike! :cool:

Steven Alford
05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
"down toward the bottom right of the page and there is a ton of links to various primers that can be used in conjunction with the CW"

What's a primer????

AskBud
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
A Primer is a lesson (Your grandmother had Primer's in school.
AskBud

Steven Alford
05-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Even though the website has a lot of good patterns for carving, I do not see how they can be used for the CW?? And I am sorry, but I fail to see where you are referring to on their site? Lower right hand side??

Not to be negative but if I am missing something, I would like to know, as this is the type of "art" that I have available and it would be nice to have a way to convert it to be able to use in the CW.

PCW
05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Even though the website has a lot of good patterns for carving, I do not see how they can be used for the CW?? And I am sorry, but I fail to see where you are referring to on their site? Lower right hand side??

Not to be negative but if I am missing something, I would like to know, as this is the type of "art" that I have available and it would be nice to have a way to convert it to be able to use in the CW.

Steven

It is there I saw it yesterday. Primer to Carving. (http://www.carvingpatterns.com/intro.htm) I learned something yesterday about primers that I did not know. I painted cars for a living for a time in my life and paint was the only primer I was aware of.;)

MikeMcCoy
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Steve - there are several instructional articles on finishing and prepping for the finish also. For people that want to learn how to augment the CW with hand chisels or knives, several of the tutorials on carving are also basic but good. I do a large part of my finish prep with hand tools rather than sanding disks and paper. Plus I like carves that appear more "by hand" rather than the perfect results the CW supplies so again, hand tools come in handy (especially to smooth out the raster edges).