PDA

View Full Version : Yet another sled question?

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I have all my dimensions and I am ready to go. However what do you need to make the carrier board/sled out of. I didnt know if I really needed to make it out of oak or what?

fwharris
05-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I have all my dimensions and I am ready to go. However what do you need to make the carrier board/sled out of. I didnt know if I really needed to make it out of oak or what?

United,

Read up on the April 2008 Tips and Tricks on carrier board, sleds and rails.

If you will be doing a lot of 1 sized type carves make it up to fit that.

It can be plywood, mdf, pine, oak.. your choice.

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I did but I really dont see anywhere where it says what material to use.

AskBud
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM

If you are making a solid sled I would use mdf or particle board (the harder the better). I think there is less chance for warping.
AskBud

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I will be making two. Both with unique sizes that will remain the same. So I definitely want them fixed to never come apart.

liquidguitars
05-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Melamine shelf stock 12" or 4x8x "5/8 or 3/4 thick" sheets sold at lumber stores and low's. Works very well. I scribe the bottom for more
grip. and use #2 pine for the top surface. I just use yellow glue and clamp for 30 mins

http://www.amanatool.com/bladedetails/article-melamine.jpg

LG

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks Brandon, and HOLY COW, I just looked at your website and looked at your videos. It is absolutely amazing what you have made that machine do!

unitedcases
05-07-2009, 12:39 AM
What do you mean "scribe" the bottom? I know what it means in metal working, do you mean rough up the bottom?

liquidguitars
05-07-2009, 12:51 AM
What do you mean "scribe" the bottom? I know what it means in metal working, do you mean rough up the bottom?

Thanks! I have some new stuff coming down the road soon..

Yes, I take a knife and cut a tire pattern on the bottom "use hard pressure make it deep" on the plywood. Try to keep away from eage that will sit on the brass roller.

LG

AskBud
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Quote from LG "Melamine shelf stock 12" or 4x8x "5/8 or 3/4 thick" sheets sold at lumber stores and low's. Works very well. I scribe the bottom for more grip." End Quote

The reason for the scribing is that the stock, with the hard, shiny surface is too slick for the sandpaper belts.
AskBud

swhitney
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Because some days, I don't play well with knives...., how about using some spray adhesive (3M 77 I believe) and sheets of sandpaper for the bottom of the sled. sandpaper on sandpaper might grip better ????? ( or maybe some sort of cloth would be better??) Something I would like to try!!

PCW
05-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I think a person could setup the table saw and put some 1/6" rips on the bottom spaced every inch across the narrow side of the sled. Maybe that is what LG was referring to.

Kenm810
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I,ve used the Melamine shelf stock for a couple of my Sleds,
I put four 1" strips of masking tape on the bottom, 1 down both bottom edges
and the other two about 3" apart down the middle.
I,ve done probe scans on one 5 times and carving projects
the other about 8, with out having any slipage or having to replace the tape.
I do the same thing on my plywood Sleds and Carrier Boards.
It's been working well for me and not messing up the Traction Belts.

Ps. When the masking does need to be replaced a little mineral spirits and it come right off. :wink:

PCW
05-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Ken

That is good easy way to do. Ken how is your recovery coming?

Kenm810
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
PCW,
EKG, Heart Echo Imaging, and Intervenes Stress Test,
scheduled to start at 1:00pm this afternoon.
All to be on the safe side, to see if I can have the surgery
on my knee in a week or two.
For now, Just some more fun and games I guess http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Thanks for Asking

PCW
05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Ken

I have been there. Have to have all of above done once a year due to muscle disease. Best wishes for your outcome!