PDA

View Full Version : Sled Question......

chebytrk
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Question.... I found a .jpg of a sled that someone's posted and I'm trying to find out what the dimensions are. Also, what is meant by "movable set sensor". If it's movable how is it made stationary for the sized carving... (masking tape?). Just wondering if I can make a multi purpose sled so I don't have to make a bunch of sleds for a bunch of different projects. Here's the .jpg....
Thanks!

liquidguitars
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
sleds are dirt simple. measure your part size and add 10" in designer so for a 10" part make your project board
20" long. cut a piece of plywood the same as Designer fill in the spots that do not carve. see below.

for bigger parts

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/SledPartsR003.jpg

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/make_you_own.jpg

smaller parts.

http://96.9.54.101/liquidguitars.com/assets/images/SledCpath.jpg

no need for tape if you load the sled correctly.

regarding your image, this type of sled in not the best design for the Carvewright.

LG

cnsranch
05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Also check out Tips and Tricks on CW's website - great article on sleds and carrier boards.

fwharris
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Jerry,

I think this is one from Chrisalb. The ends are fixed and the 2 inner rails are adjustable for the size of the project board. If I recall correctly Chris has a set up for the stock lumber, 1 x 6, 8, 10 and 12. One for each.. and yes I would think masking tape to hold the adjustable rails.

As for LG comments, maybe not the best but they do work just fine..;):roll:

liquidguitars
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I do worry about his sled from a safety stand point that all so no disrespect intended..

I think forum member "Ken810" designs are better as a path to forge. http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=11354

LG

DocWheeler
05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
regarding your image, this type of sled in not the best design for the Carvewright.

LG

Brandon,

You have made negative comments about the use of Rails a couple of times now and I'm wondering why. Have you ever used them? Do you know of anyone that had a problem because of them?

My concern is that your comments might keep people from learning to use them because of your personal opinion.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have anyone that has had problems using rails to add a post to this thread, and then perhaps explain what caused the problem. This would be CONSTRUCTIVE.

liquidguitars
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I see a lot of things wrong with this design, tape holding the cross rails together small cross rails ect..

I do like the idea of a rail only "no bottom" for two sided carves as no need to remove the stock in the sled just turn it over.
I ended up tossing the one I made for my Telecaster guitar. but go for it..

You have made negative comments about the use of Rails a couple of times now

can you suport this? :)

LG

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, that is Chris's design. I use masking tape to hold boards and cut off's on the sleds all the time. Never had a problem.

What is? "movable set sensor"

With Chris's sled, imagine a new board being placed in the sled and the sled loaded into the machine. Select Center Project on board. The Board and sled moves until rear roller releases then it would look for the board edge and find the far end block. Then it would measure to the other end of the sled and when the roller was released it would then look for the board end. The far block. It ignores the holes in the center.

I believe with Very Early versions of the software it might have seen the inner cross rails as the board end. When they added the roller release first then LOOK for board edge, it changed the way a board measured.

So in early versions you could move the inner block and they would be a sensor set.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Look at Picture 1 in Post 2..... Soon I will need to SELL my Stock in 3 in 1 Oil... It will be a thing of the past.... I have 4 cans in my shop...

AL

liquidguitars
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I use masking tape to hold boards and cut off's on the sleds all the time. Never had a problem.

Soon I will need to SELL my Stock in 3 in 1 Oil... It will be a thing of the past....

LOL I have to say it te best oil for the QC. edit: I get it now..

I use masking tape for the brass roller 2..

but as far as mounting the stock to to the sled I just use wood screws. With deep cavings the tape tends to move at .79" depth.

http://96.9.54.101/liquidguitars.com/assets/images/MRShorty.jpg

bjbethke
05-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Chebytrk,

I think that is a lot of extra bulk and weight, you only need side rails if you are carving less than 1/2 inch from the Keyboard side of the sled.

I use a 1/4 inch peace of MDF board for my bottom board; any width is OK as long as it is the width of your carving. If you have a downdraft system installed keep it as narrow as possible. Wide carvings restrict the air flow.

Cut your project board to size, and make two end peaces 3.5 to 4 inches wide. Length close to the size of you project.

If you need side rails, use 2 each same length of your carving.

Hot melt glue, or double stick tape the sled together. May need to tape joints with side rails.

The length of the bottom board does not mater as long as it fits your parts.

Glue or tape the assembly flush to the key board side of the sled.

The CW unit first looks for the width, Then the length, and measures the length when the rollers decompress.

It works for me. BJB