PDA

View Full Version : Is your machine tempermental?

lostinthefrost
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I seem to be lucky to get 2 carvings per 8 hours if I am lucky enough not to have a x,y,or z axis stall or "clean y rails" or something. I have been using the v-bit a lot to make plaques. I converted back to a simple st Louis cardinal carving and I kept getting "clean Y rails" and it's making me blow through material like mad.

Anyone have similar issues? it's getting a bit old. I have been cleaning everything thoroughly, replaced several parts, and make sure everything is tight.

PCW
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I have the same problem if I go to long in between vacuuming during carving. I have be waiting on installing a downdraft/updraft because I have not made a decision on which one would be best.

lostinthefrost
05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a top side vac pull dust up. I know it's not a fancy dust collector but it's pulling 85% of it. I have had to use a lot of help from the guys here and the 800# tech support when I can. Some days I am lucky, but lately its been horrible.

Rick P
05-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a simple down draft box made of 2x6s and connected it to my Delta dust collector. After hours of carving it stays fairly clean inside. I think adding a dust collector and down draft to the CW is important. Wood shops typically have a dust collection for their woodworking tools and the CW is another woodworking tool...except dust collection is EVEN more important with the CW.

lostinthefrost
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Rick you dont happen to have a pattern or pic of it do you?

PCW
05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Hang in there. There will be better days. I'm am just to stubborn sometimes but I always win with the little machine. I kind of like the challenges they throw at me so we get along pretty good. Matter of a fact I purchase a second machine last week. But now I feel pretty confident that I can take anything that either one throws at me.

Are you working in a warm environment when you carving?

lostinthefrost
05-05-2009, 10:04 PM
ya it's warm finally here in Central Illinois. I have 6x6 nook in my shop that is perfect for my machine. I have it mounted on a miter saw stand I found at menards xmas time for $30. I purchased the machine refurb'd. In the first few months I was cracking 16x10's carvings of anything and everything on nasty pine. now I have some nice poplar and have been getting a bit more extensive and it seems that the machine doesnt want to do the simple things anymore. Luckily (kind of) I just was laid off and have a bit of time. If I could make a good living out of it, I would design and do everything I could with this machine. I only wish there was a store or wood working store that I could work at around here. Ahh well.. I will keep at it.

fwharris
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Lost,

I noticed that you said you have using a lot of "nasty pine". Have you checked for pitch build up on the rails and bearings? Give them a good wipe down with some alcohol on a rag, re lube and see it that helps some...

Ike
05-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Does it count I am a tempermental user?!! Lost my friend all I can say is clean clean clean! My biggest issue has been a close cover switch, again clean and check for loose wires and screws!

I am in the need to clean my QC bits are sticking sometimes, so it needs cleaning!

Ike

AWoodsmith
05-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Does it count I am a tempermental user?!! Lost my friend all I can say is clean clean clean! My biggest issue has been a close cover switch, again clean and check for loose wires and screws!

I am in the need to clean my QC bits are sticking sometimes, so it needs cleaning!

Ike

I was working on a sign for a customer due later today Wednesday and had 2characters left to carve on one part of the sign and all of a sudden it kicked out the board. Well it was 4:30 AM when this happened so I said I will go to bed and figure it out later. Well with a little help from LHR it was confirmed, my board sensor died. Well I happen to be talking to a guy that was selling a Compucarve, so I bought it and figured I can get this job done if I pulled another all night-er. Well I finished the one that got kicked out and carved the other part of the sign that was all Centerline. I loaded the last part of the carve and got the dreaded Y axis failure. It made a sound kind of like gears slipping then I got the error message. So I am trying to figure out a way to get this fixed tonight. I might just take the board sensor out of the compucarve and put it in the CW and see how that works.

liquidguitars
05-05-2009, 11:34 PM
It made a sound kind of like gears slipping then I got the error message. So I am trying to figure out a way to get this fixed tonight. I might just take the board sensor out of the compucarve and put it in the CW and see how that works.

this is a good sign the the pressure of the rollers are two tight or two loose and the board could be warped
or the fence is a little tight even a bad transport gear.

as a test put the same board in the Carvewright and see if it will measure a few time on it own. "07" if it skips
look above. if it spits out of the unit you have a dirty infeed/outfeed switch.

LG

ruggybear
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Regarding the clean Y rails message in the original post - I was getting that also and on carves that I have done over and over. It all began after I upgraded the software to 1.134

My machine is in Texas currently getting an upgrade.

DocWheeler
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
ruggybear,

Your post reminded me of when I got that message. Check your gear on the Y motor. That is where the excess "friction" was for me.

The back-end of the shaft on the large gear had worn out and the sprocket that the belt goes around was rubbing/wearing the cover.

Just something to check.

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If you call one of your machines "Christine"... Like the Car in the Movie.... Then YES... I have one machine that is "Tempermental".... You just need to talk nice to it.... :)

Board measuring problems could very likely be a brass roller problem.... Pressure, too hard of a board, board edge not perfect... Masking Tape can help board measuring problems.

And yes the Y Gear box will wear and the bushing will cause the big plastic gear to tilt toward the center of the machine causing Y problems.

Using your OLD Z Motor and removing the gear box and transferring it to the old Y Motor is an economical way to fix it.

AL

lostinthefrost
05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
this all seemed to happen once I upgraded to the new software too. I just pulled 1 carving total out today. Had to try it 2x and lose money on material due to Y axis problems. I cleaned the rails 3x with alcohol today, blew out and vac'd the whole thing. Relubed everything including the flex shaft. I am at my whitts end here. I set everything on best or optimal and still it seems like the 1/16 bit struggles like it's going against it's will. I just had another axis problem and now I am quitting for the night. Whats the deal with my machine? It's getting old.

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Pull the Y Motor, clean the belt and cogs. Pull the big plastic gear and look for wobble in the sleeve bearing.

That Y Gear Box and the abuse it take, I see a aftermarket gearbox with roller bearings in place of that sleeve bearing. I have replaced 2 in my 3 machines.

As mentioned above, the old Z gear box will work.

AL

lostinthefrost
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
could it be that my bottom 2 Y bearings are too tight?

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I have machine 3 that was used for redwood signs that 2 of the Y truck bearings are frozen solid. His dust and MY Humidity.... = Cement... I have the parts to fix it, just need the time... 8 PM and I am into the Night Shift... 7 days a week...

So you may have a tight bearing too. Good Call.

Busy is GOOD.

AL

lostinthefrost
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I just pulled the Y motor out. it has some build up in it. The thin plastic see thru front was coming open. Are those gears supposed to be lubed?

fwharris
05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Lost,

Yes to the lube.. use some white lithium grease.

When you put it back together put some caulking or gasket sealer around the rim of the gear box to seal the plastic up.

PCW
05-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I just pulled the Y motor out. it has some build up in it. The thin plastic see thru front was coming open. Are those gears supposed to be lubed?

I put a piece of clear tape over the clear cover to keep saw dust out. I have hear other use silicone as well.

Old Salt
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
checked one of mine last week , the shaft was brock in half .

can't figure out how it would even run ?:roll:

lostinthefrost
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks to all who have answered. As I am working through my problem, I wanted it to be said. I didnt want to come off as a jerk in any of my posts. I have seen some on here who get an attitude, but they dont realize everyone on here is voluntarily helping. I just didnt want to be "that" person.

fwharris
05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Lost,

No problem in your post to me..

One thing (good and bad) about the written or in this case the typed word is it is read only how you want to read it!

PCW
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I think I can speak for everyone here by saying that your question where fine.

Sometimes I think people visit the site right after a problem occurs with the machine without a having a cool down period but you can tell by all the help that they received what makes this board unique. They do all this for self gratification and the willingness to help each other and guide the new member through the hurdles.

This is the best place on web!!!

PCW
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Al go to bed before someone here start a intervention for you. <smile>

Digitalwoodshop
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Remove the C Clip on the back of the big gear. Look at the Bushing and shaft of the big gear. Is there slop, will it wobble? Is the bushing worn?...

This shaft on the big gear was worn. It was SLOPPY.... Used a old Z Motor Gear box to fix it.

I see this bearing to someday be roller bearings. TOO much stress on the sleeve.

I also add the back of the C Clip and shaft of the Y gear box to my lube list with 3 in one oil.

AL

AWoodsmith
05-10-2009, 09:17 PM
this is a good sign the the pressure of the rollers are two tight or two loose and the board could be warped
or the fence is a little tight even a bad transport gear.

as a test put the same board in the Carvewright and see if it will measure a few time on it own. "07" if it skips
look above. if it spits out of the unit you have a dirty infeed/outfeed switch.

LG

Well, I spoke to LHR on Friday and it was actually the belt tension on the Y Axis was too lose. I will have to add a lock washer to the tension screw that secures the tension plate. The previous owner must have not put it back on. On my original CW, the Z Axis broke in half and the chuck broke into pieces, I ordered all the parts over night and installed all of them. Now I have two machines that were working. Now on my CW I am getting a back roller stuck error message or something like that. I will call LHR on Tuesday to figure that one out I already took the sandpaper rollers out and checked them and I also checked the compression rollers. So I will ask for some help.

Digitalwoodshop
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Back roller has a switch on the keyboard side. Blowing air and pushing the roller up and down helps get the sawdust out that is causing the switch to stick. You can carefully remove the keypad side to get access to both switches and clean the area. The switches can get sawdust inside them. They open and can be cleaned they say.... I have not had my Keypad side off of any of my 3 machines.

Use Options to monitor the switch, released / compressed.

AL

DocWheeler
05-11-2009, 07:34 AM
I have not had my Keypad side off of any of my 3 machines.

AL

Did I read that right??? Al has not had his machine completely apart???
You've got to be kidding Al.