PDA

View Full Version : moldings

jessiewlv
05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
how do i carve a convex shape to the wood? like crown molding only reversed?

Old Salt
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
make rectangle -go t0 regens-go to -select surfase - open domes select sufase pick your shape .

AskBud
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM

It depends upon what you are attempting to do.
We need a description of your proposed project (perhaps a drawing or picture).

If you want to carve an area, look at the "Dome" option in the "Select Surface" Icon, and play with the "Invert" Icon.

If you want an "Edge" on a cut, Look at the available cutting bits here:
http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=251
AskBud

bjbethke
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Crown Molding is a two sided carving. You could use the 90 degree bit for the back. I would then use a carrier board to do the top side.

bjbethke
05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
You could also add an extra pattern to it. Carving moldings with the CW unit takes a long time, approximately one hour per foot.

supershingler
05-05-2009, 08:41 PM
bj

how is that sawmill working

im still trying to convince myself that i need one

just wondering

kendall

bjbethke
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
bj

how is that sawmill working

im still trying to convince myself that i need one

just wondering

kendall
It has been working great. I have been using it almost every day unless it rains. I made a PDF with photos.

PCW
05-05-2009, 10:29 PM
BJ

Way to go. Can't beat someone dropping the logs off for free. Did you have some low land where you found the cedar?

bjbethke
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
BJ

Way to go. Can't beat someone dropping the logs off for free. Did you have some low land where you found the cedar?
These logs did not come from my land, but there is a lot of Cedar growing around the lake areas here in Arkansas. I have a few Cedar trees, but most of mine are Oak, Hickory and Pine. The guy that cut and trims the trees is happy to have a place to get rid of them. They had been burning them to get rid of them. The land owner wanted the storm damaged trees removed, and they have to haul them off.

luckettg
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe I am not understanding this thread...would not be the first time....but isn't this a cove molding and better done on a table saw?

Digitalwoodshop
05-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing... It would be FUN to do it on the CW but I believe it would be more efficient with the Table Saw. That would be some very expensive molding.... With a 200 hour Warranty.... 2 hours for 10 foot of molding.... just guessing....

If you added the ROPE Pattern to the curve of the face then you would only be able to do it on the CW. And would look COOL..

AL