PDA

View Full Version : Vertical question

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I have a project that I carve alot of and now my machine is having some vertical problems. It went to cut out a piece and it ended up all the way through. It seems like it is missing something on the way up and coming further down than it is supposed to. Machine stays clean and cant really figure this out. I have moved the truck in every which way and it seems to be tight and I re-lube everything every night. Any help is appreciated.

Icutone2
05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Check the belt tension on the Z truck motor. Mine came loose and the machine tried to compensate for the slack and dove into the wood. I adjusted it and it works for me.
Lee

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I checked the tension and it seemed fine, however I went ahead and loosened the two back screws and retightened the allen key up top. It seems the same. I have moved it all around and cant find a thing wrong with it.

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
To compound issues I just tried again to carve and this time the bit dove all the way down. I am at a loss now.

Wilbur
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I had the same thing happen with my first machine.

Along with LHR I changed the Z motor, the flat white ribbon and started to go into the bottom of the machine.

By this time I was down for 8 weeks so I took the machine back to Lowes for a refund. I then went to Sears and bought another with a 5 yr warranty.

I was going to have to send the machine back to LHR but it was going to coast me 158.00 for shipping.

I never did find out what the problem was but it looked more like a power problem.

I went with Sears because at less now I want have to pay for shipping back for repair.

I would suggest that you call LHR and talk with them they are very good at helping.

Wilbur

cnsranch
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
To compound issues I just tried again to carve and this time the bit dove all the way down. I am at a loss now.

Stupid question, but the bit is touching the bit plate during the homing process, right?

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
First question is do you have the new Z Bundle or the old? The New Z Bundle has the shorter cooling fins and the encoder sticks out the back of the cooling fins. If your cooling fins are even with the back of the encoder than you have the old Z and was known for this problem.

If you need a replacement to the new Z Bundle, it is the Z Motor, a new 14 pin cable, and a circuit board at the other end of the flat cable.

If you use the probe then it is now hooked next to the keypad inside the cover. You need to order a jumper.

SO if you have the NEW Z Bundle and still have this problem then we look at...

1. Remove the rear of the encoder, black plastic cover and clean the clear disk of dust.

2. Look at the solder connections on the Z Encoder, they have been known to fracture at the round pad with the pin going through it.

3. Wood Chips in the Z Cog Belt or Pulley. A chunk of wood and pitch causes a Z Stall or loss of steps.

4. The head motion up and down, is it smooth.... There is a no man's Land between the bearings that is hard to clean on the rails. That could be the source of the lost steps.

5. Someone found that the wheel on the back of the encoder was free to spin separate from the shaft. That could cause your problem too.

First thing.... New Z or OLD Z.... Old Z than that is the problem.

Good Luck,

AL

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, It is a new z, and I have already cleaned the encoder. Yes the bit is touching the bit plate. I am in the process right now of clearing the board sensor and then I am going to try it again.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
A fractured encoder copper pad could cause this problem.

AL

mtylerfl
05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello,

Don't know if this will help you or not. Copied from your Troubleshooting Guide (page 7) ...

Begin Copy>>>
Machine Starts To Carve Progressively Deeper Line By Line

Problem:

The machine carves progressively deeper as the project proceeds.

Solution:
Check the cables, encoder and Z-belt. Most likely the machine will have to be called back because of a faulty encoder.

1. Check the large 18-pin cable for a loose connection.
2. Check if any cables have been unplugged or damaged.
3. Check to see if the z-truck moves independently of the z-belt.
4. There are several sources for this problem that this is most likely a service call to CarveWright. Either the machine will need to returned or a new z-motor assembly will need to be sent.
<<<End Copy

NOTE: The instructions refer to the 18-pin cable - the new z-paks have a 14-pin instead, but the instructions still apply for checking for a loose connection.

Don't have a Troubleshooting Guide? It's available for download (since Oct. 2007) at: http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=32555&postcount=11

- - -

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
One more thing to check... Is the bit Loose in the Bit Holder? Just a thought....

I did a carving last year in the winter and next morning the bit had fallen out of the bit holder overnight.... It was Zero in the shop... But a loose bit could be hard to detect.

Just a thought..

AL

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
As I was putting the top back I noticed that the power was still on, in other words with the switch off it still had power. Yes, it was unplugged, I plugged it back in to check sensors and it was on before I even turned it on. What in the world? I cant tell if I need a new truck or power supply. Now when I turn it on I just get the blank screen, and yes I checked the contrast. There is a twist for you.

Digitalwoodshop
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I had that with machine 1... The slide on wire connectors going to the on off switch were touching together, so they were always shorted.

Or the switch has stuck contacts.

A closer look at picture 1 and you can see the power comes in and passes all the way to the power switch and back to the board in 1 connector. So lit looks like the power switch and the 2 push on connectors is the only option.

With the power cord unplugged, a Ohm Meter would be the best troubleshooting tool. Remove one push on connector to the switch measure the switch for continuity. Might be stuck closed.

As for the blank screen now.... Could have blown the power supply or the power switch has gone bad.

Plugging and unplugging wires with the power on could cause blown parts, but if the switch stuck, there was no way to know the power was on....

This is why I got concerned about Stacy's Close Cover advice, twist wires together. If the Cut Motor cover switch failed closed or shorted than there could be trouble with no safety switch.

Good Luck with your machine. LHR might be best to call as mentioned below.

AL

mtylerfl
05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
As I was putting the top back I noticed that the power was still on, in other words with the switch off it still had power. Yes, it was unplugged, I plugged it back in to check sensors and it was on before I even turned it on. What in the world? I cant tell if I need a new truck or power supply. Now when I turn it on I just get the blank screen, and yes I checked the contrast. There is a twist for you.

Give CarveWright Tech Support a call. They can help you troubleshoot over the phone while you're at your machine.

unitedcases
05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Just go off the phone, they said it was a bad controller. I am going to flip it up tomorrow and take a closer look at it. I definitely didnt want this to happen. But oh well. They said a controller can do a number of things so before I put that one in I am definitely going to take a look at the switch and the whole undercarriage.