PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a carvewright BUT...

pbutta67
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello everyone,
I been thinking of getting a carvewright machine for my church but I have a general question about the machine. I want to make small crosses (like 20) from a large piece of wood where the crosses are actually fully cut out and not just carved on the larger piece of wood. Is it possible to make these small crosses (cut out individually) from the larger piece of wood? Thanks for any help.

James RS
05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
yes it's possible to load more than one image on a board and cut them out

eromran
05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
You can easily do that. Once you get it you will find a tons of things you could do for your church or other groups. There are some great cross patterns on here and some that can be bought. A lot of other religious items also if that is what you want. Get one and have some fun.

pbutta67
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
thank you for the responses...I really appreciate it...God bless you guys

Rick P
05-05-2009, 12:45 AM
I have used my CW to make signs, cut out letters and cut out shapes for my church.

pbutta67
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I have used my CW to make signs, cut out letters and cut out shapes for my church.

Any pictures?

PCW
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
You can follow the link below and view some of the jpg to see some of the work other members here have done. If you have the Carvewright designer software installed you will also be able to view the png and mpc files as well.

http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

atauer
05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
You can follow the link below and view some of the jpg to see some of the work other members here have done. If you have the Carvewright designer software installed you will also be able to view the png and mpc files as well.

http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/paperclip.gif

link dont work...

pbutta67
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM
wow thank you for that link....i cant wait to get one and post my work too

supershingler
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
check out this link

it is a cross with jesus face that i did

i hope it works

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11239&highlight=cross+with+jesus+face

you will love this machine if you take it slow and learn the operation

good luck

kendall

Billions
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but the crosses that would be carved by the machine won't just pop out the machine finished at the other end...

The machine can take the piece almost all the way there, but if it were to cut out a piece 100% from the original board, it would then be a second loose piece of wood that would fly around inside the machine and likely damage the cutting bit and the machine. To avoid this, it leaves small tabs holding the piece in place, with some very minor manual removal and sanding/trimming required. It's a little bit like how a plastic model's parts are on trees of plastic.

Nothing too difficult to deal with, but just to let you know. Also, while totally possible and certainly supported by the software, carving two-sided versions of what you're looking to do can be a little tricky.

pbutta67
05-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but the crosses that would be carved by the machine won't just pop out the machine finished at the other end...

The machine can take the piece almost all the way there, but if it were to cut out a piece 100% from the original board, it would then be a second loose piece of wood that would fly around inside the machine and likely damage the cutting bit and the machine. To avoid this, it leaves small tabs holding the piece in place, with some very minor manual removal and sanding/trimming required. It's a little bit like how a plastic model's parts are on trees of plastic.

Nothing too difficult to deal with, but just to let you know. Also, while totally possible and certainly supported by the software, carving two-sided versions of what you're looking to do can be a little tricky.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it. I am currently looking for a good deal on a Compucarve (Reconditioned) since I was going to get it from Sears for $999.99 but it went up to $1424.99 in one day!! Now, I'm even looking at DIY CNC. I'm confused about what i want to do haha.

Billions
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I looked into a few of those myself, but I came to the conclusion that even at full price, the Carvewright was still the better value for me.

These were the factors that made me decide to go Carvewright:

1. The CW Machine is popular and has a large user-base.

2. The Software. A DIY kit or group of parts to put together might be tantalizingly priced, but the entire operation is more than just the machine: The oft-overlooked silent partner in the Carvewright Machine scenario is a full-featured software application* that completes the whole package, written and created for the Carvewright. The other machines were going to require me to learn some CAD programs, as well as running my Windows machine which I don't like, as I prefer working on my Macs in OS X, an OS not always supported in the outer-CNC realms. I found that I could use the CW's Designer software within minutes, using my primary technique of creating grey-scale images to carve with. Delve deeper and you have a lot of power in that software.

3. The forums here are like an elite force of helpful hobbyists, quick to help... or at least tell you how to use the search function. This may also be the case with the DIY machines, but I didn't find the amount of help that you see here.

So, the additional cost was justified for me by the ease of entry, availability of parts and support, and the online help that is present.

__________________________________________________ ______________
*A "full-featured software app" in comparison to some of the other machines: I still want to see support for Adobe illustrator paths and support for importing of the popular 3d file formats.

hobbycentral
05-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I just recently purchases a Compucarve from Sears Liquidation Center on E-bay. I got it for basically $1050 including shipping. It did not work out of the box even though Sears stated that it was reconditioned. Normally I would have shipped it back, but I had been conversing with several members of this forum and convinced myself that I wanted it. I've had to replace 3 X gears so far in approx. a weeks use. When I informed Sears that I had replaced the gear already, the agreed to reimburse me for the gear. I have bought a scanning probe, 3 bits, plus parts and so LHR is getting a piece of the pie as well. Sears places reconditioned units on Ebay all the time and a lot of them go for around $1000. Mine had 2 hours of use according to the computer. From what I can see this machine is intricate and used in adverse conditions (sawdust storm and vibration) which means that it will require user maintenance on a regular basis. Keeping in mind that most users are mechanically inclined - it's a great way to pick one up at a big discount. I doubt I would buy one from an individual on Ebay. If you buy one from Sears on Ebay and it states "looks like new", you can return it. If you do buy one from Sears on Ebay be prepared to spend $ on missing items. They will not tell you if it is missing accessories and will not replace missing items. - I had to buy a 1/16 carving bit and a bit removal tool. I haven't actually used the bit removal tool. In a nutshell, if you're not afraid of working on the unit - it can be bought for less than a DIY CNC Router. Personally I think the Projects and help on this forum are justification to buy a CarveWright/Compucarve.

Bill
Hobby Central

ajk
05-10-2009, 06:27 AM
welcome: we purchase one in Sears with 3 years of contract. we have trouble with the first one and we get one in replacement. Another thing i am a woman very far away of knowledge of this stuff and believe me this forum is the best i learned from them a lot. I have not post anything but i am going to give them a surprise,Then buy it.....

SteveEJ
05-10-2009, 06:42 AM
check out this link

it is a cross with jesus face that i did

i hope it works

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11239&highlight=cross+with+jesus+face

you will love this machine if you take it slow and learn the operation

good luck

kendall

Thanks to Kendall posting his work I was able to take his beautiful piece and add a sign, as is believed to be in the Bible, and add to it a little. Below is a picture.

Take your time, read and learn about cleaning and maintenance and Enjoy!

Steve

pbutta67
05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks to Kendall posting his work I was able to take his beautiful piece and add a sign, as is believed to be in the Bible, and add to it a little. Below is a picture.

Take your time, read and learn about cleaning and maintenance and Enjoy!

Steve

Wow that looks amazing...any chance we can get the carvewright mpc of it

UPDATE: BOUGHT the reconditioned machine for 999.99 off of sears and it should be in by thursday even though when i purchased it Sears said it should be in by today!!

I have to finish a lot of crosses before saturday for an event we are having so I had a question about carving. If I am trying to carve a cross out of wood but only want to use the stock drill bits for the time being...does that mean if I have a 1/4 inch drillbit that I can only cut through 1/4 inch thick wood or can I can through 1/2 inch...etc....Thank you.

AskBud
05-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow that looks amazing...any chance we can get the carvewright mpc of it

UPDATE: BOUGHT the reconditioned machine for 999.99 off of sears and it should be in by thursday even though when i purchased it Sears said it should be in by today!!

I have to finish a lot of crosses before saturday for an event we are having so I had a question about carving. If I am trying to carve a cross out of wood but only want to use the stock drill bits for the time being...does that mean if I have a 1/4 inch drillbit that I can only cut through 1/4 inch thick wood or can I can through 1/2 inch...etc....Thank you.

CW includes an 1/8" cutting bit with the machine, which works for most things we cut (up to about 1". They now sell a 1/16" cutting bit which is limited to cut-outs on very thin stock (this bit was needed for veneer and such in order to keep from tearing the wood). The 1/16" cutting bit is not for cut-outs on stock thicker than 1/4" as a rule.
Here is a link to the 1/16" bit, if you want one:
http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18825&cat=251&page=1
AskBud

pbutta67
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
CW includes an 1/8" cutting bit with the machine, which works for most things we cut (up to about 1". They now sell a 1/16" cutting bit which is limited to cut-outs on very thin stock (this bit was needed for veneer and such in order to keep from tearing the wood). The 1/16" cutting bit is not for cut-outs on stock thicker than 1/4" as a rule.
Here is a link to the 1/16" bit, if you want one:
http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18825&cat=251&page=1
AskBud

Thank you!!

fhoward2
05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
here is the web page with the cross pattern...
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10901&highlight=jesus