PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help & Advice

chebytrk
05-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok gentlemen,
I've started (or trying to start) my Chinese Checker/Checker board project (2 sided). I've split the 24" board in 2 halves and working on the bottom half. First I took measurements of the "triangles" and the marble holes. My first question is that after I made the first "triangle with holes in it I tried to group it and then just copy, paste and then tried to rotate it after placing it, but grouping doesn't work right for me because when I tried to rotate the newly placed triange w/holes, it doesn't rotate with everything in it. Only the triangle rotates and not the drill holes. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? After it's all done I was planning on just copying everything and putting in on another same size board, but turning it upside down. Would that be correct? Once I get all that figured out, I'll add some designs and see how it turns out. I could sure use some help on this from the OB Wan Kanobe's out there. Please feel free to modifiy if you understand what I'm trying to do, but please let me know how you did it so I can learn. Thanks.

DocWheeler
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Jerry,

I played with this a little and thought about how I would do it.
I moved the pattern to the center to see if what I thought was correct, and yes the holes are not even so you need more work there. The attached shows that the two holes illuminated are more than a half inch different from the center.

There may be an easier way, but I would think that to be exact that you would have to establish X and Y coordinates for each hole (a lot of work).

You could try it the way you have started by adding the attachments to position the holes (and then, if you want, removing the attachments so you could change size if needed). You don't have to rotate it for the second carve since you can simply rotate the finished boards to get them to fit together correctly, just make sure that you have the correct number of rows of holes on each piece.

I don't wear a Master Carver hat yet, just my thoughts.

Dan-Woodman
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Jerry
What I did on mine was made two halves and then glued them together.
I have a picture of mine in the gallery on CW website under "Daniel Blackmon"
Also here is a picture of the half pattern I did.
later Daniel

chebytrk
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Jerry
What I did on mine was made two halves and then glued them together.
I have a picture of mine in the gallery on CW website under "Daniel Blackmon"
Also here is a picture of the half pattern I did.
later Daniel

Thanks Daniel! I'm grateful to you and this really helps me in how to set this up. Again, I "thank you" and hope that one day I can make projects like you have made and posted in the Gallery.