PDA

View Full Version : Scan Changes Size

hobbycentral
05-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I am trying to use the scanning probe. I scanned an airplane profile fuselage that is approx. 11" long. When I import it to the pattern editor it states that the object is 11.32" and 3.34. When I import it into Carvewright Editor is shows up in the 3d view as 4.42" and 1.305" . Why is it resizing it? I want to duplicate it at actual size. If I place it on the board it is 4.42" long. I've read the tips and techniques etc. and done several searches. I'm sure this is something simple, but I've spent about 4 hours trying to figure it out.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

mtylerfl
05-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Hello Bill,

When you import it, are you entering the size in the dimension boxes? It should retain the size (and depth) that you enter. Also, be sure to crop your scan tightly before saving as a pattern and enter the desired dimensions at that stage. (Keep your original MPW file intact in case you ever need to revert to it later). Older versions of Designer would scale down about 20% if I recall, but later versions seem to be pretty good about keeping the dimensions true. A lot of my own projects depend on accurate sizes to fit together properly.

Can you upload the original MPW file? (don't upload the cropped one, or one you have altered in any way) Maybe we could take a look at it and see if it is exhibiting the same behavior as you have experienced.

hobbycentral
05-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Here is the scan.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

bjbethke
05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
You can make your patterns any size by changing the width and length in the Pattern Editor.

mtylerfl
05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Here is the scan.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

Hello Bill,

That's just a picture of the scan - can you attach the actual original MPW? (i.e., the picture can't help us troubleshoot - need the original MPW.)

I assume you already know that you can resize manually, but you have me curious why the scan itself is not retaining the original size. Thought by peeking at the MPW, we could see if we observe the same issue or not.

hobbycentral
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I tried to attache the MPW file, but it is not a valid file type for an attachment. Do I rename it or is there another way to do it? I do understand that I can set the size manually. But I figure that I'm doing something wrong, that is causing it to resize.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

bjbethke
05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I tried to attache the MPW file, but it is not a valid file type for an attachment. Do I rename it or is there another way to do it? I do understand that I can set the size manually. But I figure that I'm doing something wrong, that is causing it to resize.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central
You need to zip the file.