PDA

View Full Version : Tape on bottom of project board

Rick P
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I started using masking tape along the bottom edge of my project boards that travel over the brass roller with the O-ring. But I think when I use the Optimum setting that extra few thousandths on an inch makes the carving bit cut slightly deeper on the taped side of the board.

Now I am thinking of putting tape along both bottom edges to level the board.

Anyone else run across this...it's not really a big problem.

Kenm810
05-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Rick P,

I haven't had that problem, but I have been putting the 1" wide Light weight masking tape
on both side of the bottom of my Project Boards and Sleds for a couple years now with very good results.
As "AL" would say a little masking tape can save a lot of wood. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Digitalwoodshop
05-02-2009, 09:36 AM
And a Board Foot of Masking Tape will always be cheaper than a board foot of wood....

:) AL

SAA3840
05-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Since I started putting masking tape on the bottom of ALL my projects, I've not had anywhere near the problems I used to have with board measuring or boards slipping. Masking tape is cheap! I put several strips on the back, usually about 1 or two inches apart edge to edge.

Rick P
05-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I think putting the masking tape ONLY on the one edge was my problem and I may be using a fairly thick type of tape.
I used a 1/2" wide 3M masking tape...1" wide seems too wide...??

Kenm810
05-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Rick P,

Nope -- 1/2", 3/4", 1", what ever size I happen to have on my bench seems to work fine. :wink: