PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Quick Change

jonm3
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok, its been a while since I have been on CW. The past few months its been cold in Virginia so I held off running my Carve Wright. A few months a go, when it was cold, the Quick Change dropped the bit, then the ball bearings.
Now I know that the Flex cable has to come out, but how do you get the cable out when the head moves up and down. I do have the directions to remove the Quick Change. I would like to use my machine again.

Just how do you get the flex cable out from the top of the head?
Thanks Jon

PCW
05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Just move the head to the top and pull straight up on the end of the flex shaft near the head and it should pop right out. There is a new recommendation for lube for the flex cable as well and it is called Liquid Wrench Chain with Moly just in case.

SteveEJ
05-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Jon,
It should just pull out straight up from the Z Truck. Lift the Z truck all the way to the top. Get a good grip, with your hands and rag of needed and pull straight up without bending or pinching the cable. Since you will be installing a new Quick Change chuck anyway, you might want to use a small amount of WD-40 where the flex shaft meets the Quick Change chuck shaft. If you do this make sure to cover the belts and other parts so they do not get coated with the WD-40.

Let us know how this turns out. You should NOT have to force it. If you feel you are going to force it come back here and I am sure there will be someone better than me able to help you. LHR Tech Support is a good avenue and they are very helpful.

Good Luck,
Steve

Gary Koval
05-02-2009, 10:30 AM
If you pull up with enough of what you feel is more force than necessary, try this: Loosen the two "top Hat" screws and maybe shoot some WD40 in from the bottom, wait a couple of minutes then hold the "top hat" and try pulling again, should come out at that point. Make sure to wipe out the WD40 and then coat the flex shaft end where it fits into the "top hat" with 3 in 1 oil. Had the same thing happen to me about a month ago, found that the flex shaft was starting to rust making it almost impossible to pull out. Hope this helps-
Gary

PCW
05-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Gary

That is one tip I will have to remember. Winter is hard on the machine if it sets in a unheated area for a extended time in the northern states.

From years in the computer industry in a rural area where the power is not as clean as it should be due to either power surges or line drops I have learned
just to unplug my machine when not in use.

rjustice
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I have found that another tip for getting a stubborn one out is to rotate the black spring steel band around on the tophat. This will release the ball that holds the ball bearing into the detent on the shaft. If you feel around the black band, you will find that it is split in the back (opposite the little ball bearing you can see in the front)... if you place your finger in the split area, you can rotate the split in the band around to the front. Once you get the split to the ball bearing, it will release the pressure pushing the bearing in on the groove detent on the flex shaft. Be carefull not to let the bearing get away from you. I recommend placing a rag in the bottom of the machine to catch it if it should fall out. This will keep it from bouncing around. If you should loose it, it has been reported that a "BB" is about the same size and will work... I have had to help the bearing out with a magnet before. If yours is like mine was, it was completely dry of lube from the factory, and the bearing had worn into the groove on the shaft pretty good. I smoothed it up with a honing stone, and applied a dab of grease to the outside of the shaft housing where it fits into the tophat, and where the ball rides to reduce the friction as the shaft twists back and forth in the tophat. Works nice and smoothly now. It also snaps in and out easily without rotating the ring once i put the dab of grease on it.

Deolman
05-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I take a small screwdriver and put it between the spring clip and tophat and then just start to remove the spring clip. I don't remove it all of the way - just enough to allow the small ball to release the flex shaft. After the shaft is out, I just push the clip back into position so it is ready to hold the flex shaft once again. Releasing the pressure on the ball takes the fight out of removing the flex shaft - basically doing the same as rjustice does.

jonm3
05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I will try all that you recommended. I would like to get it up and running, do some projects that I have put off. Once I do have it up and running, while it is running working on what I plan, I will be working on some scroll saw work. I picked up a Better Homes and Gardens Magazine and had some interesting scroll saw projects and some good Andarandecks Chair projects that I want to do. Then see what I have ready for the October Wood working and Crafts fair and my local Expo Center and take some of the Carve Wright projects that are done. I have made few Andarandeck Chairs in the past few years, taken them to Auctions and lost money due to the Auction Commission that I have to pay, or about 30 % what my items sells for. It is just idea's I have of way to make $$$. Thanks for your guys help.
Jon

jonm3
05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I can not get the flex cable off. What do I do now?

cnsranch
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Grasp it firmly at the base, above the machine, and give it a tug - it'll come off.

mtylerfl
05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Give the flexshaft a slight twist, left or right, just before you pull straight up (grasping the thick part near the top hat, of course). Should pull right off, no problem.

cnsranch
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, and I didn't mean to sound sarcastic - could have sounded that way, since I didn't read.

The manual says:

"Firmly grasp the flexshaft outer sheath where it is snapped into the machine’s cutting head and pull it free from the head."

It really should be that easy.

If you aren't having any luck, I'd call tech support, and have them walk you through it.

Again, it should pop off with some effort.

rjustice
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I can not get the flex cable off. What do I do now?

Did you try removing the ball bearing that i mentioned early in the thread?... this is the only thing that holds it in. The spring tension of the band clip around the tophat pressing the ball into a groove around the shaft... thats it..

Hope this helps...

Ron

jonm3
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I will try it again tomorrow. I am going to set it on the floor to have better grip of the cable. I will see if I can move the ball bearing on the side of the flex cable and try turn the cable see if it releases.

roughcut
05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
you could always remove the 2 screws holding the top hat then you could get it out of the machine and see what is holding it so tight

mtylerfl
05-05-2009, 07:20 AM
All I can figure is that it must have rusted in place??? (if that's possible) Maybe an application of a little 3-in-1 oil would break the "bond" if you let it set for awhile (assuming rust is the culprit, that is).

Never heard of one being difficult to remove - very strange.

Must be frustrating for you, I'm sure!

bjbethke
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
The Inter shaft may be rounded off? The end of the shaft may be damaged. You could remove the flex shaft from the motor end to see if the outer part of the shaft comes off. You may need a new inter shaft and the Z truck square connection may be rounded.