PDA

View Full Version : small bits

daves
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
i just got my machine 2 weeks ago and haven't actually cut anything yet. I am spending time creating carving patterns.

i got the machine to do a special task of carving ultra small work. My work with patterns are in the range of 3 to 10 pixles for various elements. figuring there are 300 pixels to the inch you can imagine how small the work is.

now the question is
can i fit the machine with diamond burs and cutting burs a dentist uses which have cutting heads as small as .009 that is like 6 times smaller than the 1/16 carving bit that came with the machine. The depth of the cuts are .003 thousandths, an 1/8 deep cut would be huge.

do you think i am pushing my luck here and trying something out of the range of the machine?

DocWheeler
05-01-2009, 12:11 PM
daves,

I think you will really enjoy the machine, but I also think that you need to create bigger things since (I believe) the smallest you can go is about 1/128th of an inch. There is also enough "play" in things to get some dimension changes at really tight specs.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but that is what I have been led to believe (the 1/128 thing).

Run some wood through it, make some dust, and then decide about your needs and fun-level.

HighTechOkie
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
What material will you be working with? I believe the machine is capable of that fine of detail, but you might run into problems with how fast the machine wants to move across the piece. The only way to slow it down per se would be to create the design as a raster pattern and set it to carve at Optimal quality.

Rob

Icutone2
05-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree with Doc, A machine requires you to be able to set the travel of the "Tiny" bit and also the RPM of the bit. This machine can not do this for you.
Just my thoughts.
Lee

Router-Jim
05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Just my honest opinion but I think you need to use and get to thoroughly understand the machine before you start exploring new horizons with it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how fine of detail the machine is capable of.

Once you know exactly how the machine handles different scenerios then you will be in a lot better position to start pushing the envelope.

Best of luck with your new machine.

Jim

Digitalwoodshop
05-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Dave,

Next Forum Over... Sawmill Creek.... Laser Engravers.... That's what you are looking for.... You can find older units like this in pretty good condition now due to the economy.

AL

daves
05-19-2009, 08:37 AM
i have been cutting test patterns from the patterns supplied with the software. some i scaled up some i scaled way down. seems the machine with the 1/16 bit will not cut fine detail or should i say as fine as i am looking for. The answer may be with micro end mills which go all the way down to .010 problem is the shanks are 1/8 and the CW adaptors are either 1/4 or 1/2

does CW have any plans for a 1/8 adaptor or any ideas on how to use end mills with a 1/8 shank?
dave

coop2739
05-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Check with R. Justice on this forum. He has 1/8" adaptors that work with the Carvewright.

PCW
05-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I have tried do this before on my KC CNC (which is very balanced) with Rhino/Mach3 software that allows full control of travel speed and RPM as well as the passes. It will break a micro bit in a heartbeat. Just doesn't work.

I wouldn't even think about trying it on the CW just because it does not give you any control over any of these settings and the vibration alone would break a micro bit.

daves
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
i think this machine is just great and i have carved some nice stuff with it. however i bought it to do a certain job and that is to carve the sterns on ship models. If there is no way this machine will do such work i will have to return it.

is there anyway i can send the jpeg file to someone on the list so they can look at it and tell me if it is possible for the machine to carve it? the carving is about 3 7/8 x 2

email me at bodyplan@aol.com

www.go3d.us
05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Dave,
The smallest detail the CW can do is .0625" at .0625" deep, I believe. Using a bit smaller then 1/16" (.0625") will not help with the detail.
Here is why, the feed rate, feed rate is the big problem, since the smallest bit set for this machine is 1/16", the board will travel at a fixed rate of 1/16" each pass.
Unless LHR put in an options for user to adjust the feed rate (which I don't see it happen any time soon) then there is a possibility for carving smaller detail object. Otherwise, it is impossible.

Hope this help.
HT

HighTechOkie
05-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Actually the machine is capable of higher detail. Roughly 1/128" or .008". Some people have used 1/32" bits for fine detail. The challenge is keeping the depth as minimal as possible to keep from breaking the bit. This is when the Optimal quality setting helps since it tells the machine to move at a slower speed.

Rob

daves
05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Actually the machine is capable of higher detail. Roughly 1/128" or .008". Some people have used 1/32" bits for fine detail. The challenge is keeping the depth as minimal as possible to keep from breaking the bit. This is when the Optimal quality setting helps since it tells the machine to move at a slower speed.

Rob

how can i contact the "some people" who have done high detailed carving?

i have used the 1/16 bit and carved a scroll that will fit on the tip of your little finger. however the carving comes out with chips and not quite as good as i would like to see.

the thickness of the wood is only 3/16 thick carried on a sled. So the carving itself is only about 3/32 deep well within the cutting depth of micro bits.

another idea is to use cone shaped diamond covered bits. i think the action of these would be more like sanding rather than cutting which might eliminate the chipping.

where does one get the adaptor for 1/8 shank bits?

now i realize when the machine was designed it was designed to work within set parameters that is so big, so deep and so small. But the original designers did not take into account the "range" of applications the machine can be used for such as model railroading, model ship building and architectural modeling even wood jewelry making.

i am at the far micro end of the machine and if i can get the attention of the company perhaps they can do a little R&D into the possible engraving area.

( i know what your thinking, go buy an engraver. i looked into that and your looking at big bucks and not even close to the capabilities this machine can do.)

Why not something like a 1/8 adapter that would fit an entire range of cutting bits and burs. or maybe a setting for 1/32 rather than the 1/6 being the smallest

Kenm810
05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
daves,

I'm not sure if this will help,
but you might want to look
at these posts if you haven't already.

Using dremel bits? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=8905&highlight=1%2F8+adapters)

Carving and cutiing bits (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=11009&highlight=1%2F8+adapters)

1/8 Bit Adapters Now Available ! (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=3678&highlight=1%2F8+adapters)

daves
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
thanks for those links it saves a lot of time looking for the info. Yes this is along the lines of what i want to do.

dave

PCW
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Ken

I really like your new look. Go Red Wings OohRah