PDA

View Full Version : Flower/Herb Plant Stand

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Hello,

Here is a project I completed recently. It will be the next project for the Project of the Month series subscribers - "Flower/Herb Plant Stand"

It features a shelf to hold 3 standard 6" clay pots and can be planted with flowers or herbs or "silk plants". The finished project dimensions are about 20˝" wide x 10" deep x 19" tall to provide an attractive display. The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine.

Following a suggestion from another user, I will provide a few details so that subscribers will know what materials to "gather".

Main items you will need:
1) The 3 Project Files (included)
End_Panel_2.mpc
Pot_Holder.mpc
Corner_Braces.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Two for End_Panels: .75" x 11.25" x 27"
Pot_Holder: .75" x 11.25" x 27"
Corner_Braces: .75" x 9.25" x 27"
Cross brace board: .75" x 2.25" x 19" (the cross brace board is NOT an mpc)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Three standard 6" clay pots

4) Flowers or Herbs with potting soil if planter stand is to be used outdoors, or you can use artificial plants for either indoor or outdoor areas

5) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

Your finish selection will depend upon whether you will use the stand indoors or outdoors. My stand will be placed on our covered front porch and won’t be exposed to severe sunlight or rain. Here's what I used to finish my own plant stand made from Select Pine...

Finish Details:
1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)

2) Stain - Minwax gel stain (Mahogany #605)

3) Clearcoat - Three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic, spot-sanding flat areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats

The project lends itself to many variations - you can Tole-paint the flower design on the corner braces, paint or stain the stand to match a porch or deck color, paint or apply real metallic leaf on the side panel inset areas (copper or bronze), spray paint the stand with “stone-look” specialty paint - the possibilities are endless!

PCW
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
MT

Looks good and just in time for spring.

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks, PCW - I tried to "time" it for the planting season! (Although, I'm using fake plants in mine at the moment!)

The pots are offset from the lower cross brace so excess water from the drip hole won't hit it, in case anyone is going to plant real herbs or flowers.

James RS
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Michael,
I decided I don't like you...........why? because that is just awesome and I didn't think of it.
LOL That is fantastic work!

Jim

SteveEJ
04-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Michael,
Yet again, Very Nice! I look forward to carving again.. As soon as I get a new bit or two.. I just broke the 1/8 cutting bit. I think the Quick Change chuck is going bad. More down time I'm afraid..

Thanks again for your very fine work!

Steve

swhitney
04-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Keep up the great work on the POM's !!! they have been sweet...

and thanx for the preview with info on the board sizes, so we can do a bit of planning ahead!!!

Scott