PDA

View Full Version : Was wandering about this ?

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Guys

Is there any way to cut a pattern out thats say .550 deep, with doing passes of .25 and .25 and .05 ?

Or do you have to do the full pass in one shot ?

Twoatlow8

fwharris
04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Guys

Is there any way to cut a pattern out thats say .550 deep, with doing passes of .25 and .25 and .05 ?

Or do you have to do the full pass in one shot ?

Twoatlow8

When you select the cutout tool you have the option of doing it in one full pass or setting the depth of each pass until it it cut out. If your board is 3/4" and the max pass depth is set at 0.250 then it would do it in 3 passes. It is dependent on the thickness of the board not the pattern.

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
When i bring in a pattern, the patter is at .550 deep, i want it to do 3 passes not one is that possible ?

Sorry not a cutout .

atauer
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Let me see if I understand this. The depth of the carved pattern is .550 inches. You do not want to go the full depth on the first pass, but would rather have it do two passes at .25 inches deep, and then do a cleanup pass at .05 inches deep.

Correct?

HighTechOkie
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
You need 3 mpc's. 1st with pattern depth 0.25, 2nd with pattern depth 0.5, 3rd with pattern depth at 0.55.

You could probably do the first two in draft quality so they carve faster, then the last one at Best, should turn out great.

Why do you wish to carve at on 1/4" per pass?

Rob

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry didnt know how to explain it.....

but yes thats what i needed..

""Having gas turned into a brain fart this morning""

fwharris
04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
When i bring in a pattern, the patter is at .550 deep, i want it to do 3 passes not one is that possible ?

Sorry not a cutout .

Oops my bad call, thought you were talking about a cut out not a carve of the pattern. Like Ataer said you would have to basically carve the pattern 3 times at 3 different depth settings. I do not think you can this in the design set up but I could be wrong, have been in the past LOL..

I have actually done this by mistake. I was doing the Wilderness Eagle clock at a depth of .400. The default depth that Michael set for the pattern was .500. About 1/3 into the carve I did a pause to clean out the machine but like a D.A. I hit the stop button 2 times which of course killed it. I did the zero depth carve region for what I had already carved and re saved to the card. But like a second D.A. I did not set the depth to .400. It started the re carve at .500 so I just let it carve to the end and then came back and re carved the .400 area at the .500 depth. When it got to the area that was at .500 I could see that it was just a smidgen lower so I just let it run the full carve. Final result was the total carve was clean a whistle with virtually no clean up needed.

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Hello,

If you set your Max Pass at .25 for the .55 thickness, the machine will automatically do two passes at .25 and the last pass at the remaining .05, since it "knows" the board's total thickness. (.25+.25+.05=.55). I don't think you'll need to have three patterns for that.

EDIT: Oops! My "bad" too! I did not read your post correctly - thought it was a cut path also. Funny, you said "carve" but it was invisible to me for some reason. Sounds like a good feature to add to Designer - an option to do a Max Pass for raster carve areas. Not necessary for all scenarios, but could be nice for really deep carves in really hard wood.

fwharris
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Hello,

If you set your Max Pass at .25 for the .55 thickness, the machine will automatically do two passes at .25 and the last pass at the remaining .05, since it "knows" the board's total thickness. (.25+.25+.05=.55). I don't think you'll need to have three patterns for that.

Michael,

How do you set the max pass depth for a pattern carve?

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow thats exectly what i was looking for, now like fwharris said do you set that on the machine in the options ? i saw somethin like this and i know where it is but just not at the machine right now....

I got to cut some purple heart and wanted to do passes without running it twice. I know I know it can take it but less clean up is better..

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow thats exectly what i was looking for, now like fwharris said do you set that on the machine in the options ? i saw somethin like this and i know where it is but just not at the machine right now....

I got to cut some purple heart and wanted to do passes without running it twice. I know I know it can take it but less clean up is better..

Hey there,

If you want to try it, here's what you do...

Press "0"

Press "5" (User Options)

Press "6" (Built-Ins Options)

choose 1) "Max Pass for Cut Ops"

or

choose 2) "Max Pass for Route Ops" < this is the one you may want to try

Then Press "ENTER"

choose from...
1) Full (this is the default setting)
2) .125
3) .25
4) .375

Let us know how you make out (if it worked or not).

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
I have been trying new stuff...and have different size bits (points)

was trying to get a more detail carve at a shallow depth.

If the patterns at .400 i would like to set at .35 and fisnish carve at .400..

I used to run mazak/haas cnc turning centers and we would ruff (hog out) cut, then finish cut with a different tool, could get a real nice surface finish on parts without going to the grinder. jsut wander if that would work here.

Some of my patters really take alot of sanding to get all the fuxzzies off.. yes got the scotch brite pads on dremel and even orderd the 3m parts from mcmaster carr and still not happy.....yes replace the QC and even got a new bit, runnout on the bit is less than .001.

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Michael,

How do you set the max pass depth for a pattern carve?

Ya can't in Designer - maybe the "Max Pass for Route Ops" at the machine will do it - I've never tried it, so am looking forward to hearing how it worked (or not).

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Will try

I will update....

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Will try

I will update....

Thanks! Anxious to hear!

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Well i set both to .125 and it kept moveing .005 and it cut full. so that didnit do it..

Tried mtylerfl eagle and it still came out fuzzy even on the optimal setting..

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Well i set both to .125 and it kept moveing .005 and it cut full. so that didnit do it..

Tried mtylerfl eagle and it still came out fuzzy even on the optimal setting..

Thanks for letting us know. I tried setting the Max Pass Cut Ops a few months ago and it didn't seem to do anything either - but I had never tried the Max Pass Route Ops setting myself so had no idea if it did anything or not. Now we know! I'll ask LHR about it to see what I can find out.

What wood did you use for the Eagle carve? For example, Select Pine yields a very high-quality result with very little sanding required when carved on the Optimal setting (assuming your QC, bit, machine are all in good working order).;)

Digitalwoodshop
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Someone throws a question out like throwing a cracker into a pond full of hungry trout... We all scurry in to see what is there to eat.... Or in our case to see what there is to "learn"....

I had high hopes for the Carve Pattern limitation of cut.... But it appears to not be an option yet short of running 3 .mpc.s...

Could be a option for a newer version of designer. I could see it used to carve a pattern into harder 1/2 inch Acrylic for a LED illuminated logo.

Loaded 1.134 today and saw the 1/8 inch cutting bit moving about twice as fast cutting strips into my Tree logo. I had cut this a few times on 1.132 so I saw the difference for 1.132 to 1.134. Worked fine for a .1 depth.

Duplicated what the old sign guy cut by hand with the CW.

AL

supershingler
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
i think i would just carve it in one pass and do it in optium and you will have very little cleanup.

in optium it seams to take a smaller cut each pass and the y seem to go alittle slower to get the better job

kendall

HighTechOkie
04-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I would presume the Max Pass Cut Ops and Max Pass Route Ops features are just for cut and route operations done at the machine.

I would think a 1/4" ball end mill in draft would be good for a rough out pass, then come back with the 1/16" carving bit for the final pass. I would think this combination would provide results as good as Optimal quality in a fraction of the time. If LHR implemented such a strategy, I think the feed rate on the final pass could be increased as the 1/16" bit would only need to take off 1/4" of material max in the final pass.

Rob

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I would presume the Max Pass Cut Ops and Max Pass Route Ops features are just for cut and route operations done at the machine...

Hello Rob,

You are absolutely correct - and I have just verified with LHR - those settings have nothing to do with running a project. They only affect the machine's stand-alone functions as you stated.

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
"What wood did you use for the Eagle carve? For example, Select Pine yields a very high-quality result with very little sanding required when carved on the Optimal setting (assuming your QC, bit, machine are all in good working order)."

I used Maple (came out a bit fuzzy) Brand new QC installed a day ago, Brand new bit and holder. Like stated before runout on the QC was less than .001.

Thats probably the best runnout i had on a machine my other machine (that i used only for scanning now) had a run out of more than .010. when i test teh machine i usually do a circle and a square (thats how i tested the masak/ haas cnc) new bit and QC ran .0625 all the way around (excellent). My scanning machine ran .068 on two sides (top and bottom) and on the other two sides(left and right) it was almost .100 of the other side. Same with the circle tp and bottom good left right bad.

Hope that helps....

also if LHR would be able to put that option in i would be happy to be the guinny pig to try out.

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I ordered a digital caliper from WoodCraft early this morning, just for fun (I succumbed to their email special they sent out). Maybe I'll do the circle and square checks like you described, too. I have absolutely no quality issues with either machine, but you've gotten me curious!

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
One of the old machinist taught me that a long time ago..he used to do the square test on a manual mill all the time to see how square his workpiece was...( he was very good at what he did and i am very greatfull that he taught me alot) well i developed that into a cnc so i do the square and round test to most of the machine i work with....seams to give myself a good feeling how square the machine is... for the round i check that im geting a complete circle not oblonged. I used this test for the past 15 yrs and seamed to work.

Attached is the test i use. MPC file

Now i dont want to say this is right, just something i came up with

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the mpc - I downloaded it.

I noticed the vectors are assigned a 1/16" ballnose. I assume you just load your 1/16" tapered carving bit for the test - is that correct?

TWOATLOW8
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes i use the carving bit for the test.