PDA

View Full Version : Finding saved patterns

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I have been checking out the pattern sharing thread and find tons of great patterns and have started saving them to my computer. Problem is, I can't find them from Designer. I click the Pattern icon (the shell) but only the see the ones that came with the software. I can't figure out where those are saved to put the new ones in the same folder. Can someone tell me where I need to save patterns so they will show on the list? Or is there a different way to find saved patterns?

Thanks in advance.

PCW
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Bob

Try saving another one and note the location where your computer is saving them. It may be C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Carvewright MPC.

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Bob

Try saving another one and note the location where your computer is saving them. It may be C:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Carvewright MPC.

I know where the ones I am saving are going. But I can't find them once in Designer. When I click the pattern tool (the blue shell) all I see on the list are the patterns that came with the program. None of the ones I saved are there. I tried searching my hard drive to find ALL ptn files thinking maybe I could find out where the preloaded ones were but the only ptn files I find are the ones I saved.

PCW
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
What you need to do is bring them into designer. Double clink on the pattern file and that will bring up the import image screen or you can go to file/import in designer. Once in they will show up when you use the pattern tool.

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
What you need to do is bring them into designer. Double clink on the pattern file and that will bring up the import image screen or you can go to file/import in designer. Once in they will show up when you use the pattern tool.

That works. But is there any other way to do it? So far I have about 40 saved. Will I have to do that with every pattern, one at a time?

PCW
04-29-2009, 10:19 AM
As far as I know that is the only way to do it because designer allow you to edit the pattern as you are bringing the pattern in.

twiceretired
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I used to save mine on the computer until it crashed, I now save them on a cdrw. In any case save them in a new folder in my pictures or someplace easy to remember. Once saved, all you have to do is click on the ptn and it will open in Carvewright designer.

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I guess just have to do them one at a time. Just figured there was a folder you save the ptn files to so the would show up on the pattern list.

mtylerfl
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Hello Bob,

I think the reason why Designer is "designed" to import each pattern individually is so you can keep your patterns neatly organized. You can use the "Open" command in the File menu as already described, create new categories, etc. or...

...the way I do it is just open the Pattern List in Designer where I can also make folders and sub-folders within particular categories (Aeronautical, Amphibians, Animals - Bears/Beavers/Cows/Deer/Elk/Farm Animals/Horses...etc.)

When I need to import a pattern, I just right-click on the appropriate category in the Pattern List in Designer, and select "Import" from the pop-up menu. By importing patterns in a well organized way, I can easily find any pattern I need later just by selecting the category and scrolling through the "short list". Sure is easier than having to scroll through a long list of non-categorized patterns.

I suppose one could create a batch file to import all ptn's at once, but then they would not be categorized.

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Mike,
Great pointers. Helped me figure out how to create the organized list and sorth the patterns. Is there a way to delete a "group" in the pattern list? Some how I ended up with two groups that have the same content in them. When I right click on either of them the Delete option is not available. One gives me New, Rename and Import. The other won't give me a pop up menu at all. Selecting them and pressing Delete key does nothing either. Its not hurting anything having the same group twice but seems like a waste.

PCW
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
All you have to do is right click on the folder and click delete. It won't work on the folder that came with designer but you can delete a folder that you have made in the pattern tool list.

Darthmaul1964
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
All you have to do is right click on the folder and click delete.

It won't give me that option. One gives me New, Rename and Import when I right click. The other one does not give me a pop up menu at all.

PCW
04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
My screen does the same however when I click on a folder that I created it gives me the option to delete it. Are you trying to delete a folder that you created?