PDA

View Full Version : Poplar

lostinthefrost
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Has anyone had any luck with poplar? I just found a local hardwood store (we dont have more than 1 that I know of in Bloomington, IL). I picked up 2 gorgeous 1x12x8 poplar pieces. I did 2 plaques and it was perfect. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any good luck with it.

fwharris
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I and others have used poplar a lot. It does carve real nice and does not chip out like pine does...

wasacop75
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I have done about half of my carvings with poplar and with the optimal setting, have not had to sand. Just dust off and finish.

lostinthefrost
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
good to hear that I am not the only. I have done a lot of carvings, along with a good laugh when I heard someone say that after 200 hours you should be certified as a tech.

jcorder
04-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Has anyone had any luck with poplar? I just found a local hardwood store (we dont have more than 1 that I know of in Bloomington, IL). I picked up 2 gorgeous 1x12x8 poplar pieces. I did 2 plaques and it was perfect. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any good luck with it.

I use poplar a lot. It cleans up very nice and the grain looks great with most darker stains. I just bought about 700 feet from our local lumber mill and it cost me 30 bucks.

Jeff

lostinthefrost
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
WOW I wish I had a mill close to me. That's a huge deal. I think I paid $60 for 20ft. I may have to drive to OH

jcorder
04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
WOW I wish I had a mill close to me. That's a huge deal. I think I paid $60 for 20ft. I may have to drive to OH

the guys at my local mill and I trade off services and ideas all the time. they had someone brought in a huge load of poplar to be planed. He took what he wanted of it and told them to see if they could sell the rest and put the price on it. Luckily I was the first call and I stopped to look at it and bought it.

Jeff