PDA

View Full Version : WISH LIST

Matty
02-25-2006, 12:08 PM
How about a wish list for the software in future releases?

I would like to see a “Text Manipulation” Such as Text curve tool, Text to path tool, Text Arc tool.

It would great if we were able to import vector files such as illustrator files, Scanvec files directly into the software with out converting them to a jpg or bmp.
Also if the an option to import vector files with out converting them to 2D or 3D would be a great advantage, as then you could cut complex outlines.

Also a Trace Tool would be great.

Dan-Woodman
02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I agree , a text curve tool would be good as most of my text is not straight. I have imported curved text from Print Artist, witch is really easy. Daniel

yenne
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Also a Trace Tool would be great.
Just wondering what you mean by a Trace Tool -- is it something for automatically tracing the edges of imported patterns, or is it a freehand drawing tool?

For those who don't know me, I'm the software lead for the Designer. Please keep the ideas coming -- customer input is what drives our schedule, and we're listening...

thanks,

kendavis
02-27-2006, 01:59 PM
I would think he is referring to a function that automatically traces the outline of a raster object. Like CorelTrace. The new Coreldraw does it pretty well.
It's a very difficult thing to get done right. It's used mostly for creating vectors from raster images. Since you don't use vector images right now, I'm not sure how much of a use it would be.

Ken Davis

yenne
02-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I would think he is referring to a function that automatically traces the outline of a raster object.
This functionality is already in the software -- it's called "Outline Pattern" and is in the Tools menu. Simply select one or more patterns and then choose the Outline Pattern function. The outline portion then exists as one or more independent figures that can be moved, resized, or cut independently from the original raster(s). If there is something else you'd like it to do, please let me know.

Text warping filters is something we get a lot of requests for, and we're looking into it.

cheers,

Matty
02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Sorry for the confusion.
The outline tool works great, no need for a trace tool.
When importing a file into CarveWright I was getting a rectangle around the Image which would not let me outline the pattern. I have since found that during the file import at the 3D view screen you can use the lower action to reduce unwanted space.
Now I can outline the pattern.

nwn
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
It's really easy to add stuff to software -- when someone else is doing the coding. I'd like to see two additions (for now) which I think should be fairly easy:

1 For the "cut path" function - could we have an option to hide either the inside or the outside of the cut? For example, if I want to make a circular plaque, could we make the corners of the board disappear?

2. I just got my complete set of bits. However, the list for "cut path" includes bits which aren't there. Could the bit inventory be added to the "preferences" section, with the default being the bits which come with the machine, and the rest be user additions when we acquire them? Part two of this question is about those bits which aren't part of the bit set, 1/2" straight cut, for example, are they past ideas, future additions, or user supplied?

These are little things, and not really necessary. I'm sure there are a lot of more important items, but I thought I'd get the wish list going again.

Neal

yenne
04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
For the "cut path" function - could we have an option to hide either the inside or the outside of the cut? For example, if I want to make a circular plaque, could we make the corners of the board disappear?
This function is already there -- it's the "Hide Cutout" button two over from the Cutout button. The option also shows up on the flip/hide/accept dialog that pops up when you make a cut.

I just got my complete set of bits. However, the list for "cut path" includes bits which aren't there.
Bits available through the software represent the bits we sell and a couple other very common useful bits that people may already own. It is not our intention to exclude bits that we do not sell, but I do appreciate your suggestion to allow the user to limit the selection to bits that he actually owns. I've added this to the list.

nwn
04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm embarassed - I should have tried that. Since that button was highlighted when I clicked on accept, I assumed that meant leave the cutout in the picture. I didn't even consider using both buttons. Sorry to waste your time.

Neal

lpcsales
04-10-2006, 08:26 PM
It would be very nice to be able to form a rectangle that has rounded corners!

How about a rounded rectangle function? ...with the ability to set the redius for the corners, symetrically or individually.

Any chance? :roll:

yenne
04-11-2006, 09:46 AM
It would be very nice to be able to form a rectangle that has rounded corners!
Several times we've considered a tool for common shapes and figures such as rounded rectangles, triangles, hexagons, etc. It's definitely on the list.

dhesse
04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
How about adding the ability to mix fonts?

Subscript? Superscript?

I know you can do this with multiple text objects now, but it would be nice to have a way to scale a "line" of text to your needs, rather than each individual object.

--Dale

yenne
04-13-2006, 03:10 PM
How about adding the ability to mix fonts?
Noted, and will discuss at the next staff meeting.