PDA

View Full Version : worst luck all week. Any ideas?

lostinthefrost
04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I am having the worst luck for the last few days. I have been trying to carve out some clocks, maltese crosses, picture frames and a few other things. At some point into the carve the machine seems to hiccup. I have a Y axis stall, or something nuts happens. So far 7 carvings today have been ruined. I had 4 y-axis stalls, patterns that were carved all over the place and one time the cutting bit went too far down and almost snapped off ( I was careful to tell it to cut the project and not the board)

Everything I have been carving has been pine that is 11.2" wide and 4-6' long and 3/4" tall. This has been happening more and more lately. I am running through material like mad and have no results... Any ideas?

newcarver
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
wow, is all i can say, it sounds like you may have a bad z motor or maybe aloose wire. I would call LHR and see what they say. We can all give you advise but in the long run to get you back carving it will take the techs to do it

FINGERS
04-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I've had those days, my thing was doing to much to fast and not cleaning the machine inbetween carvings, you you have a down draft setup, after I set my up its been running good, something to think about.

DocWheeler
04-24-2009, 07:53 PM
lostinthefrost,

The encoders on the back of the Y and Z motors get dust in them (something that I wish LHR would address) that causes the counter to screw-up. Check them out - be careful not to drop the nuts from the bottom two screws.

lostinthefrost
04-24-2009, 08:00 PM
thanks for the answers on both. I have taken those 3 screws out and lightly blew the tiny bit of dust out several times along the few months that I have had it. I will give it a thorough clean this weekend and see if it makes it any better. I know there have been some depth issues off and on too. Its really getting frustrated. I will call LHR and see what a new zmotor costs. Any ideas on that?

lostinthefrost
04-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a decent set up but no downdraft. Does anyone have any good basic plans for one?

jcorder
04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a decent set up but no downdraft. Does anyone have any good basic plans for one?

I built a 4 inch box with a slit the size of the slit in the bottom of the machine. I put a three inch outlet out the side and I plug my dust collection hose into it. I was amazed how clean it keeps the inside of the machine.

lostinthefrost
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
that sounds easy enough. Do you have a pic at all? Did you remove any of the parts on the bottom of the machine?

jcorder
04-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I can take some pictures tomorrow, I just cut 4 inch strips of blondewood, that is a smooth plywood I get at Lowes. then put a solid bottom on it, mirrored the bottom with the top except for the cutout. I used a 3 inch plastic screw connection fitting through the plywood and the 4 inch hose from my dust collection slides right over it. Chris Alb has posted pictures of one he made. It was some time ago that he posted it. If you search downdraft I am sure you will find many posts. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Good luck
Jeff

FINGERS
04-24-2009, 08:58 PM
yes a port on the side and bottom is the way to go with all that sucksion in the machine it will run cooler and you'll have no need to stop in the middle of a carve to clean, I started off with a mini dc 1hp ok but just didn't do the job so I pick up a 2.5 hp 2 port yea baby now we cookin, the 1 hp I made a sanding table, now I have my eye on a delta x5, 18" sanding drum I think I can make some room in my shop for it.

AWoodsmith
04-24-2009, 10:14 PM
yes a port on the side and bottom is the way to go with all that sucksion in the machine it will run cooler and you'll have no need to stop in the middle of a carve to clean, I started off with a mini dc 1hp ok but just didn't do the job so I pick up a 2.5 hp 2 port yea baby now we cookin, the 1 hp I made a sanding table, now I have my eye on a delta x5, 18" sanding drum I think I can make some room in my shop for it.

I would love to see some plans for the downdraft, I will be buying a new dust collection unit soon so would love to build what I need.

lostinthefrost
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I am in for the plans if anyone has them.

Ed- Look at this http://www.dustdeputy.com/
I just purchased one of these and a 5 gallon bucket. It is working awesome with my large shopvac. I have no dust going into the vac at all!

newcarver
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I built the box for underneath the machine also, helps alot. Nothing needs to be removed on the bottom of the machine, used weather seal to great a better seal on the bottom of the machine as well as the box. I must stress however that having a dust collection does not mean cleaning is not needed. I take the bottom of mine off and clean on a regular basis.

bjbethke
04-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I would love to see some plans for the downdraft, I will be buying a new dust collection unit soon so would love to build what I need.
I installed my DC unit in my CW stand. Carved an attachment to fit the downdraft slot to attach the DC to my CW unit. (I could not find the MPC of this attachment.) I may not have saved it. Use a 4 inch hose to blow the dust through my shop wall. And use a 2.5 inch shop vacuum hose connected to the motor port. This removes most of the dust. I never stop the machine to clean when carving. I have been thinking about adding a left side port, not sure if I really need it I don’t carve many projects over 10 inches wide and do not use wide sleds to carve my stuff. The DC unit is a 1 HP, 950 CFM, 4 inch hose connector. Works great. Cabinet has rollers to move around.

mtylerfl
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Nice setup, BJB!

bjbethke
04-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice setup, BJB!
Thank you. It is a little noisy with both units running, but it works great.

bjbethke
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I redrew the MPC’s the way I made my Vacuum assembly to attach the DC to my CW. I did part of the one I made with a table router and a drill press. I have a 4 inch forstner bit. I think this will carve with the CW unit. I haven’t carved this to test it. Should work???

wasacop75
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I built mine 35 inches wide, 48 long. used an old furnace blower for the suction. Put 4 inch coasters on it, its as tall as my table saw so it can be used with it if needed. i used two filters back to back and just blow the dust that gets past it out the garage door at this time. come winter, i will put a boot on it and a bag to catch everything so that the loml wont complain again. i will post pictures as soon as i can find the camera. daughter or grand daughter has borrowed it.

Mike

PCW
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I redrew the MPC’s the way I made my Vacuum assembly to attach the DC to my CW. I did part of the one I made with a table router and a drill press. I have a 4 inch forstner bit. I think this will carve with the CW unit. I haven’t carved this to test it. Should work???

BJ

I am wanting to try your design but I was thinking of making a change and wanted your opinion. Do you think this would work OK if I use a 2 1/2" port instead of the 4" and hook a shop vac up to it? Also what do you think about centering the whole rather than offsetting it?

AskBud
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
You will find the Shop Vac very loud. It may, also have a limit on run time (check your specs).
The hole is at the end (and goes on the side with the Bit Plate) this is so it works as well as possible on wide projects.

I have not tried it, but I think the real solution is the vacuum inside the cover.
I know that we would need to modify that cover, and LHR may balk.
LHR should take a serious Engineering look at making an "Add On" Vacuum assembly. It would mean money in their pocket and perhaps less problems as well.
AskBud

PCW
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
From AskBud
LHR should take a serious Engineering look at making an "Add On" Vacuum assembly. It would mean money in their pocket and perhaps less problems as well. AskBud

Bud I could not agree with you any more. You hit the nail right on the head. We should not have to be doing the engineering for the Carvewritght makers. We do the warranty work for them already. I think when you get 200 hrs of carving time on the machine LHR Technologies should automatically make you a certified technician (just kidding). I do not understand why they do not address this issue with dust control.

Back to my question regarding shop vac I use a Fein Turbo Vac III. It is a very quiet vacuum @ 63 decibels. It has 8 Amp 1.11-Horsepower 6-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum with Auto-Start. I use this with my hobby CNC with no problems. I attached a couple of pictures of my setup and it is sucking up not down.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X1FDY2B7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

lostinthefrost
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I went the shop vac route until that one day I can pick up a nice dust collector (got 1st baby on the way). I am open to any ideas with the bottom assembly for a shop vac. My hose is a 2 1/2 also. Right now I put a 2 1/2 hole in the cover and run my vac through it. It's not always on but mainly when I know the dust is kicking up. I am open to any ideas for the downdraft if it's redesigned.

bjbethke
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
BJ

I am wanting to try your design but I was thinking of making a change and wanted your opinion. Do you think this would work OK if I use a 2 1/2" port instead of the 4" and hook a shop vac up to it? Also what do you think about centering the whole rather than offsetting it?
A shop vacuum with 2.5 inch hose will not give you enough air flow. You need a DC with at least a 4 inch hose, and about 1000 CFM air flow.