PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Air

Darthmaul1964
04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I have read a few posts about cutting air and one said something about it could burn up the carving motor. I know quite a bit about machines since I have a 20 year Industrial Arts teacher so it seems odd to me that cutting air could burn up a motor. But rather than risk it, thought maybe I should ask. I had a brain fart and after pausing to vac out my CC half way through a long carve I accidentally pressed stop instead of enter. So I just loaded the program again, told it to center on board as I did before and let it fly. Am I going to harm the spindle motor by cutting air for over an hour before it ever gets to the place it left off?

liquidguitars
04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Am I going to harm the spindle motor by cutting air for over an hour before it ever gets to the place it left off?

No but you could run out of oil ;)

What we do is add a dummy box to the MPC in Designer. The Carvewright will move right to the location and start carving.

LG

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I am not sure what post mentioned cutting air could burn up the cut motor?

In my opinion, Air cutting or re cutting an area that has been previously cut will burn up the motor. No I don't believe that, and I have a Electro Mechanical Background too.

No Cutting AIR is a different thing.... Some including me have thought of using the Muffler Exhaust air to blow air near the bit and help with chip removal. Some have compressed air and some have a aquarium air pump.

So I do see a possible problem if you blocked off the muffler and directed that restricted air at the bit, reduced air flow through the motor would lead to overheating. If you look at the open cut motor, the blades on the Brush side of the motor pull air through the motor. The other side pulls air from the electronic cavity below the machine.

So depending on the context of what you were reading will depend on the answer. Sounds like another post from 2006 when we did not understand the unit as we do today. There is valuable info in the very early posts but much in irrelevant today with the modifications.

AL

That CCM picture was when we first discovered what was causing the CCM Problem, WE meaning the Forum.... Up until that time is was a....... Not a secret but a Little known fact...... :)

ironsides
04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
I have read a few posts about cutting air and one said something about it could burn up the carving motor. I know quite a bit about machines since I have a 20 year Industrial Arts teacher so it seems odd to me that cutting air could burn up a motor. But rather than risk it, thought maybe I should ask. I had a brain fart and after pausing to vac out my CC half way through a long carve I accidentally pressed stop instead of enter. So I just loaded the program again, told it to center on board as I did before and let it fly. Am I going to harm the spindle motor by cutting air for over an hour before it ever gets to the place it left off?

Air cutting an aborted carving is a big "Waste of Time".
At the suggestion of other forum members, I salvaged a 11 hour carving that aborted 50% through the carving. I modified the ,mpc file by placing a "Zero Depth Carving Region which I call a Mask" over the previously carved region. I made the "Mask" .1 inch short of the aborted region. This then resulted in "Air Cutting" only .10 inch rather than 16.0 inch of "Air Cutting". I can say that I was extremely pleased with the results and the time saved.

ironsides:)