PDA

View Full Version : Text question

fhoward2
04-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I have a question about changing the bit used for text. I do not have centerline only raster and outline. I try to make letters using 60-v in raster but I can only accomplish this by outlining the entire text. Do you know if there is another way. I have watched the tutorials and can not seem to find an answer. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Frank

JOHNB
04-24-2009, 05:57 AM
carving text in raster or outline is basically the same process as carving a 2.5d pattern using the "carving bit". the v-bit would be used for centerline.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
You would open up a whole new way of making signs having the Centerline Text option. I believe you could recoup the cost in just a few signs.

Back in the beginning Centerline Text was included with Designer with the BETA users. It was determined to have some programming faults and was not offered when I bought my machine. It was in redevelopment. When it was done, it was offered as a pay upgrade.

Between that time only Beta users had Centerline Text. Greybeard a member over in England was very active on the Forum. He made me a FONT BOARD with Centerline Text Letters on it.

This board contained A B C D all as a separate letter. To use his font board all I needed to do was open a new board project. Open his font board .mpc and if I needed to make a sign that said SMITH. I would select the S, M, I, T, H and use COPY and PASTE. Keeping both .mpc's open or minimized I would paste the letters into my new board. If you close the source .mpc it will delete the letters from Paste in memory.

I would then move each letter around, using the alignment tools like placing all letters on the same level. I would then manually space the letters. I could pick V90 or V60 and it would carve as Centerline. A lot of WORK to make a 5 letter sign. It worked with older versions of Designer WITHOUT Centerline.

As long as you don't select the text letters and try to change the font it will stay centerline. If you select the text it will change to raster. You will need to erase it and copy and paste all over again.

The trick to using the Script Font is to change all the letters in a word at once. I changed a single letter like a small s and the tails didn't line up.... Had I changed the size of the whole word it would have been fine.

Another method is to use Outline Text like I do with the 3/8 inch flat bit. I use Modern Text, Outline Mode you already have, and make the letters 2 inches or 3 inches tall. For bigger letters you use a 1/2 inch bit. Modern Font is a Single Stroke Font and it outlines it, overlapping slightly. My Brown sign is done with Modern Text and Outline. I set the depth to .1 and it works nice.

Good Luck,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Samples of Modern Font, Outline, .1 depth, 3/8 bit.

AL

Lin
04-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Al, Since the software will allow it now...could you carve deeper lets say .150 but tell it bascially to make two passes at .075 each? Since you are using the 3/8" cutting bit it does call up that window when you tell it to use that bit I believe and in that window is where we can give the depth adjustment and how deep in each pass.
What do you think...will that work so you cold carve those letters deeper into the wood?
Or one of the guys here on the forum from LHR...will this work with the ouline text using Modern and the 3/8" cutting bit?
Lin

Digitalwoodshop
04-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Lin,

Yes you can use the depth of cut. I have done some in .2 deep but I like the look at .1.

AL

Lin
04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks AL, I'm trying to set up a trial MPC to see if it will do what I"m after and how well it looks using that font instead of going with centerline. I may be back asking questions as I try to set this sign up the way my SIL wants it.
Lin

will george
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
All I can say is I bought the Center Line 'option'? Why an Option? ...OK, I vented...

I carved out a few things in Cherry wood.. 60 Degree bit as I recall.. It was just about perfect! Money well spent if you need that sort of thing..
Just me though.

usd5000000
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Help!

My daughter wants to use centerline text on a domed carve region. Is this possible? The depth setting is not available. It seems that I can only use raster or outline.

If I raise the dome the centerline text seems to show up, but not follow the domed surface.

Let me know if she's out of luck.

Jeff