PDA

View Full Version : New models vs older machines

piper
04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
We bought our machine about 3 years ago from Sears. We've had lots of success, but we've also had a good deal of frustration. Some parts have broken and every time we've ordered replacements, the CW techs have said "Oh yeah, that's been redesigned in the new machines."

Does anyone know if the new ones are really that much better and more trouble free? Is it worth the money to purchase a new one?

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
3 years and this is your very first post.

Welcome,

AL

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I THINK that if you give LHR your serial number, they can tell you exactly the hardware changes that have been made since.

My guess is that it would be a lot cheaper to upgrade than buy a new machine.

Jeff_Birt
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
The replacement parts you receive will be of the new design. So in essence installing the upgraded parts would make your machine equivalent to a new machine (other than the wear from use.)

www.go3d.us
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I was wondering the same thing...maybe someone here own the new machine will let us know.
I haven't has any trouble with my own machine bought in 2007...only problem I got is saw dust get into the board sensor but I sealed it with super glue gel and it was fine ever since...
I still not happy with the software though.

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I think if you study the Troubleshooting section you will see very few real problems and that is an indicator of the Quality of the machine.

Most are Pilot Error like the many QC problems not understanding you need to get rid of BB mark bit holders when you replace the QC.

Many Z Problems, some older machines just needing the new Z bundle and Bit Plate Problems either from Wire Interference or cleaning and lubrication of the bit plate.

3 years and no posts your machine must have ran pretty good with the exception of a few parts. You didn't mention the parts, most likely a new Z Pack that came about because they moved the probe jack to the side of the cover and stopped using the shaft speed sensor inside the Z Truck. In Earlier models there was a speed sensor on the motor and one above the QC. When they stopped using the jack and the speed sensor and the homing sensor on the Z Truck that let them use thicker wires for the FSC Cable from the old 16 pin to the newer 14 pin cable. That change required a new 14 pin circuit board on the Z Motor and one on the the other end of the FSC Cable.

So that change just let LHR use a thicker wire and helped with the Z Stall problem. Vibration of that circuit board in the the Z Truck most likely is why they changed it. The circuit board was shaking apart.

The board sensors get some glue around the board holding it to the black plastic and help with the dust issue.

L2 on the Power supply has been a problem, but it was just that the manufacture didn't put enough glue on it to hold it from vibrating.

C1 on the Cut Motor Circuit on the X Termination Board is starting to break off due to vibration, I have 800 and 500 hours on my machines that it broke on. Some glue would solve that problem. I just got 6 replacement C1's from my Buddies in San Diego at a Electronic Store. Less than 2 bucks each plus shipping.

They may have made some changes in the Flex Shaft, the replacements appear to run cooler.

Other than that, they did not do any major redesign of the machine to warrant buying a new machine just for the new parts.

Some users have had serious problems with dust in the machine and most don't have a down draft Table. If you are careful with clean up then you have few problems. If you deal with fine RED WOOD dust then it packs into the gears and bearings and you have problems. The Cross Gear assembly is an area that fine red wood dust can wreck havoc especially if you crank on it rather than clean it.

SO in my opinion, if you have the replacement parts you have a good machine.

AL

piper
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow! My first post and you all are great with response & info!

Al, we have just under 200 hours on our machine and have already done all of the replacements you mentioned. We are now getting cut motor errors and have problems with a sensor. CW techs say to keep using the machine until the cut motor quits altogether before replacing it.

We carve high density urethane foam for use in garden railroads (signs, portals, etc.), so the dust build-up is always an issue for us too.

Maybe we just need a second machine to have a back-up when one has a problem. We have not seen another machine that can do what these can for anywhere close to the price.

Thanks again to all!
piper
www.rainbowridgekits.com

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
On your motor problem go to options and sensor data and select cut motor. Rotate the QC and the counter will go from 0000 to 0001 to 0002 to 0003 with each rotation. If it stays at 0000 then most likely the Cut Motor Magnet has fallen off as it is held by heat shrink in the earlier models. Later Models have a plastic barrel that slides over the Cut Motor Shaft to hold it in place. There is a post from this week about the Cut Motor and I posted 5 pictures showing the motor open. I also hear the Magnet Retainer is on Back Order. It cost me $5.00 for one, I am not sure what the current price is. But if you order one, recommend you also spend the $10.00 on a set of Motor Brushes as you will be changing them at 350 hours or could have one sticking now. When you open the motor you could have the brushes in hand if you need them. Remember to use a very wide screwdriver to remove the Brush plugs as even I split one using too narrow of a screwdriver being in a hurry.

As long as you are ordering get a set of sand paper belts. I recommend the 3 things at once because you save on combined postage. $5.00 for a Motor Magnet Retainer and $15.00 for shipping burns... but add in the brushes and sand paper belts and you really save.

Last year I spent $1800.00 on parts and bits and that does not count the $700.00 I placed in January for thing I feel I will need as the Sign Carving Season picks up. I do it as a business so I 5 year my machines for Tax plus the parts. All part of doing business.

3/4 of my business last year was Carving Related. This year I expect it to be 50 50 with Fire Department stuff. I have a solid month of work lined up as of today, so things are picking up.

Good Luck,

AL