PDA

View Full Version : Help with Beer Mug..

oldfartjoe
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes anyway.
I want to make a sign with a beer mug for a friend of mine..
I found the clipart pattern I wanted to use...
I put it into Photo Impact and saved it as a greyscale png file.

My question is what do I do with it now? I've looked over some of the posts that I thought would help me but I always seem to get sidetracked..lol

I inverted the pattern because I want a plain simple outline with a few details on the mug and foam..

Any help with my beer mug would be appreciated.

I think I have finallly figured out how to attach my file.

Thanks,
Joe

jcorder
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
see if this works for you

DocWheeler
04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
OldfartJoe,

I think it looks pretty good. It would carve/look better if the mug was set shallower I think.

oldfartjoe
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your help.
Ken, what do you mean look better set shallower? Is that the depth or the height? I am going to play with the settings a bit more maybe I will like the look.

I guess I should explain exactly who this question is from. Joe bought this machine for me (wife)..I wanted it so I could help with our sign business. I am loving the text part of the machine, but am having sooo much trouble converting our side designs to work with the carvewright. Right now, Joe carves most of our signs freehand and the side picture designs are mainly outline carved and then hand painted nothing really 3D.

Jeff, I am also going to try your version...guess I should get used to 3D carving so that I can get more out of my machine.

Thanks again,

Louise:wink:

oldfartjoe
04-22-2009, 11:58 AM
OMG it dang near cut my board in half.....

I give up! I think I will just use this machine for carving text and leave the rest alone for now. I've been making sawdust all morning...guess I will go back to doing things the oldfashioned way for now.

But I am going to try Jeffs pattern next......wish me luck...lol

Have a great day,
Louise

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't give up, yet.

Take a look at the attached - needs work, I just thought I'd add a couple patterns for you to try (they're from the Sharing Depot).

oldfartjoe
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Well that's no better....still way too deep.

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for trying to help me...I took a look at what you left for me. I am beginning to think that I do not understand depth and height might be a lot of my problem...Guess when all else fails I should read the instructions..lol

Going to find me more practice lumber...hubby wants to know where that sign is...(says he could have it done hours ago)..LOL :roll:

Thanks again
Louise

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Louise -

I checked out your website - very nice stuff!

But I have to ask, what's a cornhole board?

(I think I'm better off asking, than guessing :-D )

HighTechOkie
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
A quick search and I came across cornholeparty.com. Found a pdf with rules of the game. Should 'splain it all.

http://www.cornholeparty.com/resources/rules.pdf

Rob

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
In my part of the country, if you search for cornhole party.com, you'll get fired.

oldfartjoe
04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
LOL @ Jerry

Hubby says the same thing...lol I think you have the wrong web site, don't have one. (That is another thing I've been working on for a long time..still aint done)

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Sorry that was Jeff Corder's link I clicked on - thought it was yours.

oldfartjoe
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the help...
and the laughs too.

I think I have it figured out enough to get it to work
I set the depth to .125 and the height to 999 and it turned out okay, not great just okay. But it will do.

Thanks again, you are a great bunch!
Louise

cnsranch
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Glad it's better.

Remember, the carve will look almost exactly like the image in Designer (most often EXACTLY). To familiarize yourself with height and depth settings, play around with them, take a close look by zooming into the image each time, mess with inverting the patterns, see what that does, etc. It's the best way to get a feel for those options.

**EDIT**

What Designer won't show, unfortunately, is chip-out in your final carve - that you have to get a feel for learning just how sharp the peaks of your design can be - that's where draft comes in handy for raster text, etc.