PDA

View Full Version : Belt tension

lostinthefrost
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
there a way to loosen and move the traction belt a bit without removing the entire thing?ionou ask because I have 3/4 of belt thatwasnt ripped and it's in pristine condition. I have 3 small projects that must be done and mynew belts won't be here for a few more days. I know it's not recommended but I nnleed to get it done now. The 3/4 of belt that's good is the 1st belt that feeds. Can I shift the belt to the left and tighten to get this small emrgency project done?

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
No.... You must open up the gear box and remove the belt assembly and use a clamp to compress the springs. I would also flip the belt putting the virgin part of the belt on the left.

#1 reason for belts moving and ripping is placing the wood in the machine at an angle. Always pull the board up against the left side stops using your fingers on the each guide to check the gap.

AL

DocWheeler
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
lostinthefrost,

I do not want to seem opposed to Al's response, but you can indeed move the belt without taking it apart. There is a thread here somewhere where a user cut a couple of lengths of 3/8" rod and used the in/out support to compress the springs.

I personally have done this (with one hand I might add) using a quick-clamp on the gear-end and used a 1/2" square nut and screwdriver to compress the keyboard side.

Digitalwoodshop
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Ken,

That sounds like it would work good TOO..... There is always more than one way to skin a "fill in the blank". PETA Safe posting.....

Good Job Ken,

AL

lostinthefrost
04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
lol. thanks for the help guys. This is only for a quick fix before I get my new belts in. I am going away for the weekend and need to get these done before I leave. I will attempt to move it over if possible. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Deolman
04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Doc, the thread you are referring to is here:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10651&highlight=sandpaper+rollers