PDA

View Full Version : First litho, but with a price...

newcarver
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
My first litho attempt, went with the settings from the tips & tricks. Turned out great until the end of the carve. The bit began to wobble and zip, dug into the sled and z axis stall. Upon further inspection the bit was loose(and I'm sure it was seated fine when i started) and the bit adapter had a chip out of it as well as being visible worn(was not when i started). The z truck was quite warm also. Looking at a new qc and possibly a new z truck due to a rounding where the flexshaft goes into the z.
But the litho turned out good for the first try...

mtylerfl
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem. If the bit itself was loose, it sounds like one of the setscrews in the bit adaptor was coming unscrewed during the carve.

newcarver
04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
nope tight as can be, checked that right away. Not sure what actually went wrong yet

mtylerfl
04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
If the sled was binding, that could have forced the bit adaptor loose.

Your sled was at least 7" longer than the carve area specified in the layout and did not leave the rollers - right?

MCGEE2SKINNER
04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
HI
Sorry to hear about your problem. But the carve looks great I wonder how it will look in a light box great I'll bet.

JIM

newcarver
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
No sled binding and yes the board was actually 4 inches longer on each end and was 2 inches on each side. Still a mystery to me

want2b
04-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Corian is very hard on the carver, somewhere on the forum there is a recommendation of maximum depth of carve. I have only been using 1/4" and carving depth set at .180 max. Noticed the faces seem to be raised on your carving. Is that just due to the pictures or are they really raised? The lithos I have done are all recessed into the corian so more light comes through the fiqures. Found that by holding the litho up to sunlight or a flashlight I can tell if it's worth building a box.
Good luck, keep carving
Rick H.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Your lithopanes looks great - would like to see some picks of it lit, but it looks like it will show just fine. Good luck with the machine issue.