PDA

View Full Version : toilet seat...

Alteredwoodworks
04-18-2009, 03:24 PM
I am trying carve into toilet seats. I am very new to this machine. I understand that you need a jig/sled to accomplish this. Has any carve on a toilet seat or round peice of wood? I could really use some guidance on how to make a jig/sled for this?!? Anyone help???

eromran
04-18-2009, 04:06 PM
I am trying carve into toilet seats. I am very new to this machine. I understand that you need a jig/sled to accomplish this. Has any carve on a toilet seat or round peice of wood? I could really use some guidance on how to make a jig/sled for this?!? Anyone help???Read through this thread http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7502&highlight=toilet+seat
Al of Digitalwoodshop has done some really cool seats along with a lot of other thing you will see in this thread. Also you could just put "toilet seat" in the search above and it will give you several threads.Hope this helps.

Alteredwoodworks
04-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I read through this but couldn't find the direction I was after. How do I get a toilet seat to sit in the machine properly? Without moving. I have tried several things but half the time the Unit will NOT measure properly. ANYONE????

AskBud
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I read through this but couldn't find the direction I was after. How do I get a toilet seat to sit in the machine properly? Without moving. I have tried several things but half the time the Unit will NOT measure properly. ANYONE????

Most toilet seat tops are 14.5" or less, side to side. Therefore, placing the top on a sled should solve the problem. You probably will need to make a special "Jig", or two, the contour of the seat edge (hinge end and front end) to hold the seat in place.

If there are no "side rails", because of the larger width, make the sled long enough that the "Width" measurement can be made on the extended portion of the sled. It is the first measurement that it made.
AskBud

mtylerfl
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Without being able to see exactly what/how you are setting up the project (pictures would be very helpful), I'm guessing that the machine halts its measurement procedure when it encounters the contrast in the "blank" areas between the seat and the sled rails. Placing a taught piece of masking tape across the area where the optical sensor travels will allow the machine to measure properly.

(Remove the masking tape just before the machine tries to begin carving.)