PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cedar

Colleen_and_Mike
04-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I have only carved smooth woods and would like to be able to do some of my signs in something like rough cedar, will there be a problem doing this or do others use rough woods and how does it come out.

Thanks in advance

Colleen

Eagle Hollow
04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I have only carved smooth woods and would like to be able to do some of my signs in something like rough cedar, will there be a problem doing this or do others use rough woods and how does it come out.

Thanks in advance

Colleen

I use it with good luck. I always run one side through the planer or jointer to be certain it will fully contact the brass roller.

Good luck! Keep carving and please post some pictures when you're done.

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
You could make a sled slightly wider than the board and let it have side rails on the sled slightly higher than the wood thickness. This will prevent a Wedge Effect breaking the X Gears if one end of the wood it thicker.

This is a alternate way to the above of running the back through the thickness planer. Sometimes if you expose the back of the wood with the planer the moisture in the board will dry on the back side and the board will cup. Leaving the back intact helps.

It all depends on the Moisture content of the board.

AL

b.sumner47
04-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I have also used it the same way.Just make sure it even all way around. Capt Barry

TerryT
04-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I use cedar as well. Haven't had a problem yet. As said before, make sure your board is flat, square and straight.

Ike
04-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks in advance

Colleen
I use another method to make signs rustic. I take a wire brush wheel attached to my die grinder and lightly go horizontally with the grain of the board. Lightly for recessed lettering and a little more for raised. Then I torch the whole sign some what heavy and then add a coat of gray wash. It gives the wood the weathered look.

I would imagine using rough cut wood would be about the same? I would think recessed lettering would be distorted from the waviness of the grain, just like wire brushing?

Thought I would share my method that way you can avoid the need for a sled, which is a great ideal! Guess it all depends on what and where you want to input the extra effort!

Ike