PDA

View Full Version : 4th Bit Broken. Help!

jeff412
04-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok. Something must be wrong with my machine. I just broke my 4th bit. Granted, this time I was carving in Polycarbonate. However, I had the maximum pass depth set to .10 and was drilling a 1/2" hole. The bit instantly broke and went all the way through the polycarb. Help. $160.00 down. I can't afford this rate of loss.

Jeff

jeff412
04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I just went out to try and finish the project. After measuring the "board". The machine said "Enter Board thickness". What is this? Does it not know how thick the poly is? I'm going to format and reload the firmware and try again.

Jeff

Jeff_Birt
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Sounds like you are cutting on a sled? What SW/FW versions are you using?

jeff412
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I started the cutout on the attached .mpc. When I placed the bit in the QC it was tight like it's supposed to be. I ran it for a few seconds then stopped the machine. When I checked the bit, it was slightly loose. Not like it's supposed to be. I think I have a bad QC. I guess I'll be ordering a new one Monday. I sure wish there was something better than the QC.

Jeff

jeff412
04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds like you are cutting on a sled? What SW/FW versions are you using?

No not using a sled. I'm running 1.134 now.

Jeff_Birt
04-17-2009, 08:59 PM
What thickness of material? It sounds like something is up with the bit sensing. Does the bit plate pop out properly and the bit touch down on the flat part of it?

jeff412
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
It is 1/2" thick. Yes the bit plate pops out and the bit touches it in the center.

Jeff

johnbryantjr
04-17-2009, 11:17 PM
i use to get Enter Board thickness when ever the board was over 14.5 wide

It is 1/2" thick. Yes the bit plate pops out and the bit touches it in the center.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like the drilling function is diving all the way into the board and making it's spiral?...

Normally with older versions of the program it would drill a 1/2 inch hole by going into the wood slightly and doing a spiral. Then deeper and another spiral. I can't remember which version of the software started drilling all the way through then doing a slow sprial.

I think is comes down to Poly was not designed to be cut on this machine. The Hardness of the material is the issue. With a Shop Bot you would slow the feed rate.

This machine is designed for wood and the feed rate is adjusted for that and we don't have and adjustment options. I was one of MANY that asked for the Cut Path controls letting us adjust the depth of cut for harder material. I was not the first to ask but I made the most noise about it.

I am willing to bet your cut path went well it was just the drill function. For a 1/2 inch hole I would do a Cut path and adjust the depth of Cut.

The Drill Feed Rate is TOO FAST for Poly......

AL

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2009, 12:46 AM
i use to get Enter Board thickness when ever the board was over 14.5 wide

And this is because with a narrower board the right side guide plate is up near the right side of the wood and it NORMALLY goes down and touches the right guide bar telling it the board thickness. With a 14.5 board the guide is all the way off to the right and the computer knows it....

AL

jeff412
04-18-2009, 06:27 AM
This is my first time with poly. The centerline text turned out great. It didn't ask for board thickness either. After I broke the bit I went back and removed the text and drilled holes. I started the cutout, stopped it and checked the bit. It was a slightly loose in the chuck. I think I may have damaged the chuck with the first bit I broke. I did a vector path and cut all the way through with the cutting bit. I did it because I couldn't get the cut path tool to work and I was in a hurry. Of course it broke the bit, but I haven't been able to complete a cutout since without breaking a bit. I am going to call LHR today and get a QC on the way.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2009, 10:54 AM
When doing the Cut Path lines remember if it won't let you do a cut path on vector lines look and see if all the nodes are connected.

All lines and nodes must be connected where they node glows red when it connects including the very last one to the first one. You can make a square with 4 lines but if you don't connect the nodes it won't cut path and give you the option to adjust the depth of cut.

Are you making a LED Illuminated project?

AL

jeff412
04-18-2009, 12:01 PM
When doing the Cut Path lines remember if it won't let you do a cut path on vector lines look and see if all the nodes are connected.

All lines and nodes must be connected where they node glows red when it connects including the very last one to the first one. You can make a square with 4 lines but if you don't connect the nodes it won't cut path and give you the option to adjust the depth of cut.

Are you making a LED Illuminated project?

AL

All of the nodes appeared to be connected. I have had this happen before when starting the cutout path with the arc tool. I was just in too much of a hurry to redraw it. Lesson learned, "Never, never rush through a project!"

No I am not making an LED illuminated project. These are the sides to a hopper to draw names from.

Jeff

jeff412
04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Broke the 5th bit today. I'm going broke in bits(no pun intended) and haven't completed a single project since the first one broke. I just changed out the QC, so that's not the problem. Is it possible that it isn't turning enough RPM's? Is there a way to check the RPM's?

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
There is no way to change the RPM's it is designed for the feed rate of wood. Your plastic is just too much to cut with the force or feed rate that is being pushed at the bit. That is why it is breaking. Soon the lower right bearing screw on your Z Truck will break. That is another area that takes the STRESS.

If I were you I would cut a 1/4 inch version and use a router table to cut the big piece. That is what I did with Wine and Quilt Racks. Use a bushing on the Router Table and a up or down spiral cutter. Careful as some routers are not designed to work upside down in a table as the openings in the bottom are too BIG and it is normally down.... Chunks and chips get inside the motor and break the cooling fan.

AL

liquidguitars
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Broke the 5th bit today. I'm going broke in bits(no pun intended) and haven't completed a single project since the first one broke. I just changed out the QC, so that's not the problem. Is it possible that it isn't turning enough RPM's? Is there a way to check the RPM's?

Jeff

Time for the wiggle test.. is your z truck bearings tight?
A loose truck will snap snap.

LG

jeff412
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I think it's very tight. With the bit in, there is no wiggle. I changed the chuck because I could feel a little wiggle after it ran a few seconds. The machine only has 21 hours on it. I'm so frustrated right now. I have tried to call tech support at least 5 times, but after waiting on hold for 15 to 30 minutes each time I always gave up. You can get through to sales quick though, so I ordered the QC hoping that was the fix. I can't just sit on the phone at work or it could be trouble.

Jeff

liquidguitars
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
ok no more 1/8" cut bits thank you very much. :mad:

Your best bet is to move to the 3/8" bit assigned to a circle with a radius .05" and the size of .1" this will give you a .50" hole set to your depth.

you will have a harder time snapping the 3/8" :)

LG

jeff412
04-23-2009, 03:49 AM
LOL

I've broken three of the bits in soft pine and two in the poly at a cut depth of .1.

LHR, if you're reading this. Please return my phone call. I left a message last Saturday.

Jeff

jeff412
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Finally got in touch with tech support Thursday night. I sent them my mpc's and they ran the projects today. They weren't able to duplicate the problem with the mpc's. I now have the luxury of boxing it up and sending it to Houston. Woo Hoo! At least I won't be breaking my bits testing different scenarios. BTW they said that their message system isn't working right now.

Jeff

jeff412
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Called LHR again this afternoon and spoke to another tech. I told him that the machine seems like it runs really fast and that I was burning the wood. He suggested that I might have an RPM sensor problem. He said if the motor is spinning too fast that it will break bits. He had me disconnect the RPM sensor and carve then reconnect it and carve. After reconnecting the machine it ran much slower than I was noticing before. I carved a quick centerline text project and it carved great and didn't burn the wood at all.

What do you guys think?

Jeff

Icutone2
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Last night while carving with the machine the bit dove into the wood and started to smoke the bit by the time I looked it cut through the board(0.80 thick) I stopped the carve and noticed that the "Z" motor was loose and making odd noises when I moved it up and down. I removed the motor and found that one of the screws that hold the motor to the gear box had fallen out. The unit is sealed with clear plastic. I remover the cover with a razor
blade and replaced the screw and resealed it up, Reinstalled it and WalA it works. And this machine only has 1 hour and 57 min. on it. So this is the first time I have heard of this problem and thought I would share it with you all.Not a hard fix but at least I didn't loose the machine for a couple weeks at the repair shop!
Lee

jeff412
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll take a look at it. The Z-Truck is tight, though. I think my problem is going to be the RPM sensor, but then again I thought it was the QC before.

Jeff

jeff412
05-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Turns out that it was an RPM sensor issue. Replaced the RPM sensor and I was actually able to complete a project. When I removed the sensor, it had saw dust under it. Not sure if that was the issue or not, but it's working now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Jeff

Wilbur
05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Where is the RPM sensor located?

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
This is the Cut Motor RPM sensor. A Magnet on the shaft makes it count pulses.

Use options and turn the QC and see if it counts, 0001, 0002, 0003....

AL

jeff412
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Al, is there anything that you don't have a picture of? :)

Jeff

Kenm810
05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Quote ; ) Al, is there anything that you don't have a picture of?

I really don’t think he has a picture of Riley our Toy Fox Terrier,
Of course Riley ain’t broke yet, -- but if he was, AL probably would !!

PCW
05-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Well you can't say that no more because if I know Al it's been saved.

Woodpecker
05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
I am afraid to put anything in the QC without checking the allen screws. Perhaps there should be or if it is available a torque wrench for the allen screws. I have stripped a few of them. Also how do we know if they are perfectly centered to avoid any off center vibration? I just ordered a new carving bit in the QC holder at another $51.99 and have lost several days of carving as a result. My special request was or is to include a new QC. It was not included nor was there any communication regarding my request. My primary concern is that it just cost me $450.00 round trip ticket to get my CW machine serviced. The QC came back with marks on it like perhaps Channel Locks were used? " Now filed off." With this most current order as a result of vibration and it seems like the new bit holder doesn't fit exactly like I feel it should compared to previous insertions. I have several of the 1/4 inch bit holders ordered when they were only about $5.00 each. I can only hope that CW remembers the old saying "Ya gotta dance with who brung ya" the customers pay the bills not all of the intellegence or spelling or proper english will collect money like customer service. Very Special Thanks! It's a great machine {toy} and that is all it is to me. However some of us do enjoy what we have earned and our toys are all that keeps us motivated. We just want what we pay for. Thanks!
Woodpecker.

Digitalwoodshop
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Well you can't say that no more because if I know Al it's been saved.

Yes... I did even before reading this..... I was going to photo Shop a Biskit on his nose.... But decided against it....

My Boys say Hi !!!

AL

PCW
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
They are a good looking bunch.

1. He is just to cute & would invite as a house quest anytime.

2. This one looks pretty cool and knows how to enjoy a day at the beach.

3. The one on the end picture looks like he may have the best table manners of the three.