PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Polycarbonate Carve MPC attached

jeff412
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I would like to carve this project out of .5" clear polycarbonate. I currently have the max depth per pass for the cutout set to .25. Is that too deep? And will the centerline text show up very well?

Jeff

Darthmaul1964
04-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I would like to carve this project out of .5 clear polycarbonate. I currently have the max depth per pass for the cutout set to .25. Is that too deep? And will the centerline text show up very well?

Jeff

I did a practice carve in acrylic a week or so ago and other than fogetting what end is right and left, it came out fine. Where the 1/16" carving bit cuts into the plexi it makes it look like frosted glass. So it does show up. As for .25 cutting depth I don't know. Mine was only .07 for the carving but I was only working with .125 acrylic (on a carrier board).

cnsranch
04-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I've never cut it, but if it's harder than oak, you better take three passes.

cnsranch
04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
One other thing - try selecting the 60v bit for the text and see what you think - it makes for a little deeper, and finer cut than the default 90v.

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Stay with the machine and watch it cut. If the Ploy melts and then hardens on the bit, things go bad very quickly. The result could be your Cut Motor flopping around inside the machine or twisted flex drive.

I did a cut path on some plastic, not sure what kind it is. I got a bunch from Sony when they closed a Computer Monitor assembly line. It was Conveyor covers destine for the landfill.

When you cut your template by accident getting sawdust under it, Bondo makes for a quick fix.

AL

jeff412
04-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Does the 90V or 60V give the frosted look?

Jeff

Eagle Hollow
04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Does the 90V or 60V give the frosted look?

Jeff

Both. 90 is wider carve than the 60.

Eagle Hollow
04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Stay with the machine and watch it cut. If the Ploy melts and then hardens on the bit, things go bad very quickly. The result could be your Cut Motor flopping around inside the machine or twisted flex drive.

I did a cut path on some plastic, not sure what kind it is. I got a bunch from Sony when they closed a Computer Monitor assembly line. It was Conveyor covers destine for the landfill.

When you cut your template by accident getting sawdust under it, Bondo makes for a quick fix.

AL
Al,
I really like the eagle. Is it available at the store?

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Bought the Eagle through one of the Stores...

It is nice... The Quilt Racks did not sell but the wine racks like that with 6 holes did sell.

Someone here posted pictures of a 8 rail wine rack made from that shape.

AL

mtylerfl
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Al,
I really like the eagle. Is it available at the store?

Hello Jerry,

The Eagle is a CarveBuddy pattern available here:

http://www.carvebuddy.com/birds.html