PDA

View Full Version : Cut path question

mfdchief
04-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I am trying to get the cut path feature to cut my carve region at the dimension of the region. I have used the flip cut in thinking that it would preserve my original size but I am getting a scaling issue it seems and it cuts an inch smaller than if I do not include a cut path and just let it cut the carve region. Hope this makes sense and sorry if the question has been answered and did a search but couldn't come up with a solution. Thanks for any help.

ps Bob Nichols, I tried to PM you but it bounced back saying you were not accepting PMs.

fwharris
04-16-2009, 11:18 PM
On you cutpath screen try setting the "inset" to -.125 and see if that is what you are after..

AskBud
04-17-2009, 12:09 AM
My bet is that your cut-path is too close to the side edges (maybe, even the top & bottom), or your real board is too narrow (top to bottom).

I've copied the pattern, but have not done a test carve as yet (it's time for bed).
AskBud

mfdchief
04-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Bud,

My real board measures 9.250 X 16 inches. Do I need to use a wider real board? Thanks for your help.

Mark

mfdchief
04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
FW,

I will try the inset suggestion tonight...thanks for your input.

Mark

AskBud
04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Bud,

My real board measures 9.250 X 16 inches. Do I need to use a wider real board? Thanks for your help.

Mark

Either a larger board, a sled, or reduce the size of the cut-path.
The edges are too close for the machine to safely mill, without some extra board.
AskBud

HighTechOkie
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Personally, I don't see a problem with the board width. 9.25" wide - 8.375" for pattern = 0.4375" then - 1/8" cut path = 0.3125" (5/16") from cut path to board edge. Typically, 3/8" (0.375") or more is preferred. Also, with a project length of 8.75" + 7" (3.5" for each end) is shorter than your 16" board.

When you loaded the project and the machine and it measured the board, did it ask to scale the project? If so, this is the clue that your board is too small.

Rob

DocWheeler
04-17-2009, 02:19 PM
mfdchief,

You might simply try moving the objects down a little as in the mpc attached.

Better yet, don't use a cutpath; use a saw or hand router and save CW time.

mfdchief
04-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions,
HighTech, I did get a "scale to width" message and if I remember only had the choice of accepting that option. I tweeked the board width to 9.750 and that seemed to solve the problem.

Doc, your suggestion of not using the cut path is the most logical and I have done just that for a couple of the pieces I've done so far. I wanted to try a cut path to show off the capibilities of the machine to a friend, AND it became a challenge to not let a machine outsmart me :--) I'll try your version in the morning and see what that does.

Thanks again to everyone, I am always amazed at what I learn everytime I visit this forum.

Mark

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Yes, you were right, the Scale Project message is when the board is too narrow and you want a bigger project than board and if you say YES to scale then you will get a smaller project..... And one more thing, if the board is not 7 inch's longer than the designer board and you say YES to stay under rollers then it will ask you to scale the project to have the 7 inches of wood to keep under the rollers.

So it is either Length or Width that will trigger that message.

AL