PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions solicited

Deolman
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I am making a jewelry chest for my wife. The plans call for a lid that is 19" side to side by 15" front to back. The grain will run side to side. (19") I will have to do a glue-up to make this lid.

I want to carve something on it that will cover a good portion of this lid. But, we all know the 15" dimension is too big to fit in the CarveWright. Should I glue up a smaller portion of the board for the carving and finish the glue-up to make the 15”? Would it be better to cut the smaller middle piece to put a frame around it similar to a raised panel?

Since it is currently in the planning stages, any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

cnsranch
04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Deolman;87944]Would it be better to cut the smaller middle piece to put a frame around it similar to a raised panel?/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'd do - if you have a router table, just glue it all up and run the edges thru with an Ogee bit, or the like - no one will ever know the diff.

supershingler
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
you could also carve your lid on a 14" wide board and the add 1/2" of a contrasting board(another species say walnut strips on a maple center).

this would give you a little constrast but you could also just glue strips of the same wood on one side to get the desired width.

just a couple of my thoughts

kendall