PDA

View Full Version : Carvewright, couple problems?

autobodyman
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I bought my machine from Sears about the end of 2006. Never used it for anything but scanning my carvings (not that much at that). I haven't used the machine since last summer. I had plans to have it scan a couple carvings and then actually use the machine to carve 10 copies of the scanned carvings.

I have always had some issues with the scanning probe losing itself. I frequently get a message to check scanning probe. I think the problem is the connector on the machine is a bit lose on the probe connector, it seems a bit sloppy and if I wet the end and stick it in, it works sometimes all the way threw a scan sometimes I have to pull out the connection re-wet it and try again. I have actually had the connector pop out from the vibration of the machine.

Last night I scanned a cabinet door I carved without any problems. This is the carving I scanned without trouble.
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/108025/LeftDoor014103_S.jpg
Today I've been trying to scan another cabinet door I carved it got about 60% threw the first time and the last 2 times it got about 20% threw when this message pops up http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/108025/Carvewright3417.jpg

I need to finish hand carving this and scan it in and make two copies:
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/108025/Decrotive006753_S.jpg

I've already scanned this one in:
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/108025/DoorTrim025422_S.jpg
I need 8 copies of this one.
I got the 5 year extended warranty from Sears but I was really hoping I could get threw these copies this week to finish my project. Any advice on these issues?

Thanks ~Mike

Deolman
04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I did a search on "z axis stall" and received 177 different posts. Do a search with the quotation marks. I am sure there is something that will assist you. Also a call to LHR will also help you.

newcarver
04-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I had an issue like that when scanning at one time, got the updated cable that goes to the cover connection, never had the issue again. You could call lhr and find out what it cost since your out of the 1 yr with them. Might be faster than the sears way also. Here is a picture i got from another post.

Digitalwoodshop
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Mike,

I did a Screen Shot of your post. All I get is X Boxes with your images. It is best to use the Attach Image at the bottom of the page when you write a post.

I would dissemble your probe, there have been people that have found cold Solder Joints and re soldering the connections will or could help.

If you upgrade to the new Z Bundle you will plug the probe into the side of the cover. Not sure if you are plugging it into the Z Truck. That Circuit Board will vibrate loose and give you problems. If you have the old Z this is a good time to upgrade.

They call it the Z Bundle, Motor, Circuit Board and Flat Cable with heavier wires. You need to also ask for the Probe Jumper Cable too.

All this is you have the old Z that is known to give Z Stalls.

AL

autobodyman
04-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Al,
Thanks for the reply. I'm used to posting in a woodworking forum and they prefer we not load up their bandwidth with larger photos so I upload all my photos to a hosting site, I think the site may be having some issues off and on today.

I'll look into taking the probe apart.

I will also check into the Z bundle and cable, thanks. Not to be lazy but where would I find their phone number to ask for a price on the bundle? Would this be something I should talk to Sears about, I got a 5 year extended warranty from them, I know the 1 year is way past for the CarveWright warranty.

I am a little disapointed, I hardly used the machine at all, probably less than 100 hours of scanning and no carving at all yet. Most expensive piece of equipment in my shop and the least used so far. Guess I should have jumped into using it when I first got it.

Thanks ~Mike

Mike,

I did a Screen Shot of your post. All I get is X Boxes with your images. It is best to use the Attach Image at the bottom of the page when you write a post.

I would dissemble your probe, there have been people that have found cold Solder Joints and re soldering the connections will or could help.

If you upgrade to the new Z Bundle you will plug the probe into the side of the cover. Not sure if you are plugging it into the Z Truck. That Circuit Board will vibrate loose and give you problems. If you have the old Z this is a good time to upgrade.

They call it the Z Bundle, Motor, Circuit Board and Flat Cable with heavier wires. You need to also ask for the Probe Jumper Cable too.

All this is you have the old Z that is known to give Z Stalls.

AL