PDA

View Full Version : Power Fluctuation.

jcaravella
04-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I start up the CW do all my settimgs and all and once it starts to carve it stops right away with a Power Fluctuation error. It is on its own brand new 20 AMP circuit and it just started doing this. It's tripping the breaker or anything. I have carved for about two weeks with no issues. Even did two 3.5 hour photo carves without a hitch.

I do need to check my line but i am guessing the power to the machine is fine. I don't yet have a meter to measure this.

Anyone come across this? I would hate to have to pay shipping for this heavy monster to go back to CW... With that will CW even service a unit bought through Sears? it is technically a Sears Compucarve.

Any thoughts or things to check other than my power line?

AskBud
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Bite the bullet, and take it to Sear's and have them service the unit. Make sure they send it to Repair shop #8047. They fix it or replace it, if it is still under warranty (no $$$ on the ones I have had serviced or replaced).
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Just give CW a call. They can walk you through a couple of simple tests and can send you warrenty parst if needed.

liquidguitars
04-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I start up the CW do all my settimgs and all and once it starts to carve it stops right away with a Power Fluctuation error. It is on its own brand new 20 AMP circuit and it just started doing this. It's tripping the breaker or anything.

did you say it was tripping the breaker?

I have one of my units on the same circuit as my compresser and it still works fine even running at the same time!

I would first check the on and off switch for a loose fitting wire.

jcaravella
04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
oh, just read that... i meant to say it's NOT tripping any breakers

Digitalwoodshop
04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Search "Power Supply L2" and you will find a bunch of posts and pictures I posted many times of the L2 Coil problem.

AL

Jvicaretti
08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I am having the same problem and I found the pictures you posted Al and they are very clear. At the risk of sounding like a dummy ..... how do I get to the power supply? Where is it?

Digitalwoodshop
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Underside of the machine.... Be sure to unplug the machine first....

AL

Jvicaretti
08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks Al, I did that, took the board out and checked the L2 connection like you showed in your pictures. The connection was good - no wire problems. I checked all the connections and everything was tight, put it back together and still the same problem. It runs for a couple of minutes and then stops and says "power fluctuation". I checked the power into the house and in the outlet I use for the carvewright and everything is ok. My question is what size load resistor do I need to get to test the power supply board itself?
Thanks, Joanne

thomasj
08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Joanne,
I had the exact same problem shortly after I got my CC/CW - jan, 08.
It was a bad power supply. Lhr sent a replacement and problem solved!

Jvicaretti
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I called CW and I am waiting for a call back. Mine is not under warranty anymore so I thought maybe I could try fixing it while I wait to hear from CW. I am going through carving withdrawals.

dbfletcher
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Ya.. I would be nice if they could just base there warrenty off of the cut moter time instead of cut time or length of ownership time. I has so many problems with mine 4 months after i had it.. i just shoved it in the corner for a while.. then just over a year after i had it.. i decided to give it a go again... had the same power problem describe.. even though I had less than 15 hours on my cut moter, they said I was still out of warrenty and had to buy the replacement powersupply.

On the plus side... since fixing the powersupply the machine had been running much better... which makes me wonder if it was at least partially the cause of many of my earlier problems. I did send it back to lhr once, but still suffered from teh same problems when i got it back... now powersupply.. things are much better.

Good luck!.. When it works it is alot of fun...

Doug Fletcher

Jvicaretti
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
How much is the power supply?

dbfletcher
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
It was a while ago.. but I'm thinking it was around $120. Definately more than $50 less than $200.

brdad
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I have had intermittent power fluctuation issues on my no warranty CW since I got it. I have had the power supply out several times and tested and looked for any bad connections. I also checked the L2 coil every time and re-soldered that once, but it did not help. It was very rare to do an carve which has lots of abrupt ups and downs without triggering the power fluctuation error at least once. Usually I am ok if the carve is a smoother one.

The last time I had it out I was frustrated enough I re-soldered every connection on the power supply board. I then did a two hour carve and had no issues at all. Hopefully it is fixed now, I will be more sure it helped after a few more carves.

If you are good at soldering circuit boards, it may be worth a try.

c6craig
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I had the same power fluctuation errors. Same basic setup from what I can tell as you. Dedicated circuit, checked for loose connections, etc. After cleaning the bottom out of any loose bits of sawdust I still got the same error.

Just yesterday replaced the power supply and everything is working great. To look at the power supply you would not see anything wrong, such as loose or broken connections, burns, etc.

Power supply cost $135 with a $40 core charge.

Hope that helps.

Thanks-Craig

Digitalwoodshop
08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
That L2 coil wire breaks off where it is soldered and bent over.... so the break is usually in between the copper....

Good Job fixing the board.

AL

RHenry
08-25-2009, 03:02 PM
OK, I've got mine on an extension cord. No other option. My machine has been giving me "Power Fluctuation errors" so I went and got a heavier (12 ga.) extension cord. Now it won't run at all! It is constantly on "Power Fluctuation." From what I've read here, it sounds like a bad power supply.

How do I get a positive diagnosis?
How do I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
If you remove the muffler and lay the machine on it's back and just turn it on, sometimes the L2 coil goes back into place and the power will come on. Stand it back up and power goes off....

AL

RHenry
08-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I remember hearing or reading someplace that the CarveWright shouldn't be operated at temps approaching 100 degrees F. Well, it's pretty close to that now. Do you think that could be the problem? It ran pretty good this morning.

wasacop75
08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
When it was really hot here in Arkansas, i just put a fan on the machine. Had it blowing in the front with the downdraft working.

RHenry
08-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys. From what I've learned here, I'm pretty sure it's a bad connection in the power supply. I go to Houston every other week so I can drop it off at the Pasadena plant.

Come to think of it, the problem almost always occurs when the machine is chattering while cutting large circles. It always occurs in about the same spot on the cut. This suggests that the vibration loosened a connection in the PS. One thing for sure, the problem isn't going to get anything but worse until I get it fixed.

liquidguitars
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
one thing to check is the connections on the on/off switch leads, mine have come loose from time to time.

LG

RHenry
08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. That's something I can do before I haul it down to CW. BTW, I took a look at your web site. Very impressive work! As a fellow guitar player, I was curious. Now I'm envious. I bought the CW for use in building amplifiers and PA's. Nothing cuts wholes and circles as easily. What your doing is just extraordinary.