PDA

View Full Version : Design Importing

Matt_S
02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I have a general question about importing and manipulating potential design file sources. How does one take a jpg and turn it into a 2D or 3D carveable design? Does the software convert greyscale values to depth values or do I have to do something with the jpg manually in the software to convert it to a carveable file?

Also, is it/will it be possible to import any 3D file formats?

Thanks.

dickf35
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I used the import function to bring in a picture of my Granddaughter. It was simple to do and looked great.

Dick F

nicobie
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi dickf35

It looked on the computer? Or after you ran it thru the machine?

dickf35
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
My Granddaughters pic looked great on the CarveWright software. Unfortunately, I don't have the machine yet. Should be here shortly if the two week shipment holds.
I just built a cherry hutch for my daughter that is awaiting carvings on the two raised panel doors and the two top drawers. One of the engineers told me that cherry carves really nice.
Certainly is an exciting machine.
Dick F

nicobie
02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I can't wait either!

The software seems simple enough, but who knows how it will turn out on the wood. :lol:

yenne
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
The process of converting a 2D photograph into a pleasing 3D shape is a much-researched area of graphics design, and though several folks have received PhD's trying to solve the problem, there does not exist a simple way to do it. Some expensive modeling packages allow you to manipulate a 3D framework for the photograph, but this is a time- and training-intensive process.

Right now all the CarveWright Designer does is translate brightness of pixel to depth. This works well for black and white images or company logos with a few colors, but does not generally produce a pleasing effect for photographs. Some people have been happy with certain photographs, and others have been disappointed with the results. It really depends on the detail level of the photographs and the depth of cut -- shallower cuts produce an emboss-like effect that gets the general impression across without relying on a pleasing 3D translation.

The Designer software does show what the end result should look like before you cut the project. The only thing it can't simulate is any grain chipping that may occur depending on the type of wood carved. In this sense, the wood choice will affect the final outcome as well.

We are working on importing pictures since we know this is a frequently requested feature. We don't yet know when anything along these lines will be released.

Old Salt
02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Got my machine thursday about 10.00 (coumputor quit 10.01. :shock: ) fun fun. got it runing a 6.00 had to try a photo, didn't come out to bad, neet a little more progaming on my part . Did some signs ect. look great.