PDA

View Full Version : lube

willh
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Just got my new machine but haven't tried it yet, triing to find thechain lube w/moly but can't find it anywhere. Tried all the big boxes and some auto supply stores no luck. Is there an alternative or where else could I try.
Once I get started I'm sure I'll be back, seems like a great site with lots of info.

mtylerfl
04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Just got my new machine but haven't tried it yet, triing to find thechain lube w/moly but can't find it anywhere. Tried all the big boxes and some auto supply stores no luck. Is there an alternative or where else could I try.
Once I get started I'm sure I'll be back, seems like a great site with lots of info.

Welcome!

I got the Gunk Chain Lube with Moly at Home Depot. Lowes might have it, as well as Wal-Mart. I think Ace Hardware has it too.

The stuff is great - I have only had to lube my two machine's flexshafts once in over two years. I had one of my machines carving/cutting for 10½ hours today - flexshaft never even got noticably warm.

There is another product...Crane CAM-something-or-other. I've never used it (since the chainlube does just fine - I haven't had the need to try anything else), but maybe someone can chime in here and let you know where you can get that one instead, if you can't locate the chainlube.

cnsranch
04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I found the lube with Moly at the HD as sell - it was in the tools section on a lower shelf.

That said, it didn't seem to keep the shaft as cool as I liked, so I went with the Crane Cams stuff - it's the best, in my opinion. Here's info from an earlier thread:

From Chris Alb:

Yep, Posted this about Crane Cam assembly lube many times.

This should be a sticky. (hint... hint... moderators)...

http://forum.carvewright.com//showpo...71&postcount=4

You won't get a better FS lube.......

Rick P
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
O'Reillys Automotive stores carry the Gunk Moly lube in our area.
I use the Cranes Cam Assembly lube...I try to avoid spray cans...just me.

AWoodsmith
04-16-2009, 11:47 PM
O'Reillys Automotive stores carry the Gunk Moly lube in our area.
I use the Cranes Cam Assembly lube...I try to avoid spray cans...just me.

I had to order mine online. Just do a search and you will find a retailer.

PCW
04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I found Gunk Chain Lube with Moly at Tractor Supply Store.

willh
04-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the tips. Checked out every Ace in the area before I finnaly found some, be looking for the
crane stuff next.

DocWheeler
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
willh,

I think it was HotPop that suggested StaLub MolyGraph from Harbor Freight. I have used it the last two times - Did four drawer-fronts (28 hrs) and the flexshaft was barely above room temperature.

Evidently it is a grease with both graphite and molybdenum. I paint it on and wipe it off lightly - not bad at all to apply.

hess
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Check a Motorcycle dealer, bikes have chains they sell the stuff

Hess

toymad
04-25-2009, 09:18 AM
I got my chain lube from Northern Tool.

Hexe SA
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
got mine from Amazon $11.93 including shipping.
Eva

autobodyman
05-08-2009, 02:42 PM
How warm is to warm? I did a non-contact thermometer and it ranges from around 95 to 120° F when in operation.

Thanks ~Mike

Hexe SA
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
How warm is to warm? I did a non-contact thermometer and it ranges from around 95 to 120° F when in operation.

Thanks ~Mike

your hand touch along the flex shaft. Since we get up too 96-100 degrees right now in Texas anything warmer than bathwater or you can't hold for longer than 30 seconds is too hot. Push stop, let it cool down, remove and lube, re-install, push enter and resume carving. If you are towards the end of a carve or a long carve it helps to stop for 5-10 minutes and resume your carve. After you're done do the lube routine.
Eva