PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy used CW machine

Bradleytavares
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
I would like to purchase a used CW or CC machine. I saw one in a store and was fascinated. I'd like to use one, help me find one in good condition, thanks. Bradley Tavares,

BobHill
04-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Bradley,

Check into www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com) for CarveWright CompuCarve machines and you'll see a few for sale there. Some are new and some seem to have been used.

Bob Hill

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Remember used machine = NO Warranty. A Trip to LHR will cost you about $150.00 in shipping and then parts and labor. They often replace the flex drive and that is $75.00 right off the bat.....

My recommendation is to bite the bullet and buy a new machine to have the warranty of 1 year OR 200 hours of Cut Motor Time. Once you get comfortable with the machine and the common repairs it will be more cost effective to buy a used machine.

There is a guy in Texas selling machines near LHR for a very high price and you will not get a warranty with it. When I looked at it, I thought one trip to LHR for a $500.00 FIX and you could have bought a new machine.

I have 3 machines, buying machine 2 from Sears Broken and 3 from a forum member for much less than full price.

I did spend $1880.00 (2008 ) in repair parts, bits, bit holders last Tax year and just received $700.00 (2009) in Parts for this year's cutting season. I have extra parts in stock and sometimes use machine 3 to keep the other 2 going. I am the exception to the rule buying extra parts. They don't go bad but when I installed a refurbished Z Truck last summer after having it a few month and the Damper Ring fell out, it was my loss. I had the part too long and LHR would not replace it even though it failed in less than 30 min. So there is a down side to stocking repair parts. I see more postings of the falling Damper Rings recently. Looks like the same guy that rebuilt my unit not getting the damper ring installed properly is doing them again. And yes, that still chaps my hide.... Poor Workmanship and not standing behind the refurbishment. Every case of the damper ring falling out did it in the first day from what I have been following. So no I did not have it installed for months like LHR thought. Bad call.

OK... got that out of my system.... :)
My 2 Cents...

atauer
04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Bradley,

Used machines can pretty much be purchased from anywhere. However, as Al (DigitalWoodshop) stated, there is not any warranty on used machines. I would recommend buying a new one that comes with a factory warranty, JIC.

Also, I edited your post and removed your phone number from it. Posting personal information on a public forum can lead to prank calls, tons of spam, possible ID theft, etc. It is also against the forum policy to post personal info.

Just an FYI.

fwharris
04-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Bradley

You could also consider the re conditioned CC from sears $1300.00 plus free shipping and a 6 month warranty. Looks like they are also doing some other special offers..

Wilbur
04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I have decided to by my second machine from Sears with a 5 yr warranty and free shipping back for repair.
No more 200 hr. The cost for the 5 yr is the same as shipping to LHR twice. I am sure that in 5 yr it will need to go back more than twice.

Wilbur

jeff412
04-16-2009, 07:10 AM
wilbur,
You should look on the forum about the sears warranty. There are some horror stories out there. That's why I opted not to purchase it with my CC.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-16-2009, 09:18 AM
The Warranty Situation has changed over time and older post don't necessarily give you the current picture of the care you will get with the warranty.

Just ask Bud....

AL

hobbycentral
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Sears also has an Ebay account/store. Sears had reconditioned Compucarves at sears.com for $1499.99 pluse 20% off and free shipping = $1199.99, new machines for $1599.99 ($1999.99 - 20%). I bought one from Sears Liquidation on Ebay for $1009.00 plus $32 S&H. If Sears has stated that it looks new - you can return the item for a refund if you are disappointed. Incidentally if you are an authorized military exchange shopper (NEX, BX, PX etc.) all CarveWright products are available with military discounts through aafes.com and can be purchased with your Star Card. I hope this post is appropriate and if not let me know.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central

hobbycentral
04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Well as they say Caveat Emptor - buyer beware. I just opened my machine and found it covered in sawdust, missing the bit removal tool, 1/16 bit and the crank handle on the side is broke off and missing the pins etc.. Sears stated that it was reconditioned - I guess that does not include cleaning and replacing broken parts LOL. I went to Sears to get the bit removal tool, but they don't stock them. If it works and I can get the tool or work around it, I guess it will be worth it.

Bill
Hobby Central

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
For shipping they recommend removing the crank.... Sometimes parts get missing....

Beware of the possibly of a Flex Shaft having a kinked spring inside due to shipping handling and within a few minutes of starting a hot spot in the flex developers and the rubber melts. I did a kink myself when the machine was outside in the sun as I was fixing it and the soft rubber let me kink the spring. Shipping damage will do it too.... Many have posted that LHR replaced the Flex as part of the repair not knowing that miss packing the flex caused the damage, it got crushed. They hold the machine hostage until you send them the $75.00 not covered by warranty money....

My new machine came with dust as they test cut with all new machines too.

Good Luck with the machine. Look and see if you have the New Z Bundle with the shorter fins. Expect to have it and if not you want it.... See my picture posted on other Z bundle postings to know what to look for.

AL

hobbycentral
04-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I will check the flex shaft and look to see if it has the Z bundel. I found hte handle in the box less the pin - I'm sure I have something I can use. I appreciate the help and info.

Bill
Hobby Central

hobbycentral
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
It looks like it has the Z bunde. I just got off the phone with LHR and had the software registration reset so that I can register the software and also purchased the 1/16 cutting bit and the bit removal tool. My scanning probe arrives today and so the fun begins.

Thanks
Bill
Hobby Central
Fly Navy

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Good Deal !!!

Happy Carving !!!!

AL

US Navy Retired FCC(SW) _:)_

hobbycentral
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Hmm, Fire Control Tech and woodworking, heck of a mix LOL. I was an ATC and then went NFO and flew in P3's.

Bill
Hobby Central

Digitalwoodshop
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
A Tin Can Man... 3 Destroyers, 27 Countries, 10 years of Sea Duty. Did Electronics Instructor at Great Lakes for a few years and the last 4 as a Mobil Tech Rep fixing the Radars and Computers on ships when the guys on board couldn't find the problem.

I bet P3's were fun to fly!!!

I do a mix of Laser Engraving, Sublimation, CLTT, Rotary Engraving, Vinyl, V Carved Signs and Woodworking. A fun mix. Electronics to cut wood.

Did 8 at Sony after retirement, 4 making CRT's in San Diego starting in 95 and 4 fixing Play Stations in Philly at the service center. A fun career.

Now I walk to work, a whole 45 seconds....

AL