PDA

View Full Version : Sears Compucarve

Wilbur
04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know anything about The Compucarve other than it is a CriveWright?
With Sears extended warranty, how good is it and who works on them. Is it LHR or Sears technician.
I have returned my Carvewright back to Lowes with a full refund and have ordered a Compucarve from Sears with a 5 yr warranty parts,labor and shipping.
I like the machine but not the trouble I had over the three months I had the Carveright.
So, now I don't need to look so much at 200 hr run time. I could use that up quickly if the machine runs right.

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
First it would be good if you would post where you returned the unit as someone asking about it could get a GREAT machine at a REAL Bargain Price. Unless the machine has been Physically damaged by dropping, which we know you did NOT do.... It would be a GREAT FIND for someone. Both machine 2 and 3 were used.

I believe all and any problems you had with the machine you returned were simple fixes if you had the time, understanding and ability to fix the machine yourself. It will be a great find for someone... I know someone that got a broken Sears machine for $300.00 from a Frustrated Manager.... They will most likely send it back to LHR... But if they don't.... It could be opportunity....

As for the Sears Warranty.... They have been fixing the machines and SEARS Tech's have been doing it. Search "Sears Warranty" there has been a few PLAY by PLAY postings about what Sears did and did not do to machines serviced by them. Mostly GOOD Results. The trick is to be NEAR a Sears Store... I am 50 miles away.... and I bought the warranty for machine 1 but have never used it.

Good Luck. I believe you will have the same problems with machine 2, but this time you will have Sears to hold your hand and walk you through repairs or just let them fix it. The Turn around time will be the cost to you as if I remember right, it took WEEKS to get it back each time.

AL

AskBud
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Sears does their own repair. If, and when, you take it in make sure they send it to Garland Texas (Repair location 8047). They are getting much better at doing the repair work, and do replace the unit if they can not accomplish the task. Sears has a tracking site, but that does not shorten the travel and repair time. It will take as much as 3 or 4 weeks for the entire process.

My biggest complaint is that when they can not repair it, they post it as repaired. You do not know it is declared non-repairable until you go to pick it up. You then have to go through the process of ordering a new unit, as most stores do not have them in stock. This adds about a week to the recovery of the new machine. I've spoken to the Store Manager about this false notice and the fact that I could have had my replacement unit 2 weeks earlier have #8047 been honest with the notification(s).

None of my 3 units were damaged in shipping, to or from #8047. They were all broken at #8047.
AskBud

Wilbur
04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Al and Bud.
I returned my Carvewright to Lowes in Greenwood SC.

I ordered my Compucarve from Sears here in Greenwood. Eight miles away.

I have done work on the Carvewright along with LHR which has been the best.

I have been down eight weeks and still not working. There are no damage to the machine I returned, but the 150.00 shipping to get it fixed plus 200 hr warranty which I could have already used that up if I had not had the break downs, plus the week after week turn around for parts that was not a fix is what made me do what I did.

It may not be any better but I can hold Sears feet to the fire, and will.

I wanted to know what may be the best way to deal with Sears since I knew there were some here that has gone through this and could enlighten me on what to expect.

I like the machine and want one but I want to use it for a little more than a play toy.

Thanks for the info and help. I will keep up my site telling everything that happens with this change up.

Wilbur

hess
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I have both machines and for the 1st year. I just call CW support. I have to say I have not had any problem with getting help. Now that means you must be willing to do some work your self. So far noting has been brain surgery. I will use the sear extend warrt for latter

Hess

chebytrk
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Makes me wonder now. My wife purchased my CW thru Sears in Dec '08. I never asked her if she got extended warranty on it. I'll need to ask her about this. Do you think it's too late to get extended warranty? It's still under standard warranty.

AskBud
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Makes me wonder now. My wife purchased my CW thru Sears in Dec '08. I never asked her if she got extended warranty on it. I'll need to ask her about this. Do you think it's too late to get extended warranty? It's still under standard warranty.

I'll bet you get a call from Sear's to upgrade, if you do not contact them. I think it is Sear's SOP.
AskBud

Wilbur
04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I think you can get the warranty even now.
I know it may be a toss up and I know that the problem's may still be there. LHR support is very good and it is a learning trip.
Some time's, as the last time we got to talking about the plug to the Y motor I was told to remove the plastic around the plug because it was stopping the power to get where it was suppose to be. I question doing that and was told to remove it. This caused me to mess up that plug in to the point that it would not plug in. That has to be replaced before it will work plus what ever is wrong with it not working in the first place.

This is something that would not, or should not have happened if it was at the repair center. I think this was the last straw and was even going to pay to ship it back until I decided to take it back to Lowes.

I may not be any better off but I will give it a try. If this does not work better, I will take it back to Sears and call it quits on wood carving.

I know there will be times things will go wrong. I expect this, I may work on the machine my self depending on what is wrong.

LOL, this is not the worst thing I have ever done, but I like this darn machine..

Wilbur

AskBud
04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Wilbur,
Do not give up on Sear's. They do replace the unit. Moreover, both warranties will begin again with the new unit. I now have two new units with fresh warranties.

The way I look at it, Sear's tells us that if it can not be repaired within the first year we get a new unit. The cost of Sear's repair, for me, has been $ 0.00 (ZERO). the time loss is the only draw-back. That is why I got a 2nd unit. That way, if one needs repair, I begin using the other unit for something other than scanning and "Light" projects.
AskBud

hess
04-14-2009, 04:22 PM

I think you may still be able to get it. They did mine a month out and when I asked it it was ok they said no problem and asked if I had any other things I wanted to cover

Hess

Wilbur
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks Bud

I think that is the way to go. I'm suppose to have mine in next Friday.

Wilbur

hess
04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I may not be any better off but I will give it a try. If this does not work better, I will take it back to Sears and call it quits on wood carving.

I know there will be times things will go wrong. I expect this, I may work on the machine my self depending on what is wrong.

Hey Wilbur hang in there. once you get over some of the QC stuff and the unit starts working for you it will make the feelings of being bent over go away. You will need to work on it yourself in order to save time when you can

Believe me when I say CW/CC were not love at 1st sight with me. I seen someone refer to it as a love/hate relationship

want2b
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Got mine about 2 yrs ago from Sears, didn't know LHR existed. While web searching found this forum and LHR. Had small problems and LHR talked me through them, I bought a few items and replaced them myself rather than having the machine gone. About a year ago I bought the extended warranty form Sears because I felt ther would come the time when a repair would be out of my capabilities/$. Used it just before Xmas when the bearings in the Z truck wiped out. !st Sear gave me an unrealistic commitment time, 2 weeks. I live on the east coast and knew they couldn't ship round trip over the holidays in that timeline. Got calls when they changed the timeline, twice, actual was 1 month, but I actually expected that from the start.
Like the previous posts, if you are willing and able to do some of the repairs you be OK. If you expect a trouble free machine then the odds are the carver is not for you. I have had minimal problems, there are horror stories posted, but I feel they are the exception. This site posts everything from the best to the worst, most manufacturers don't sponsor that open a site. Bet you know somebody who has gone through hell with a car/truck! Where is that posted/shared?
Hope you don't give it up, I'm constantly amazed by the various projects shared on this forum even if I can't do them for what ever reason, usually time.
Rick H.

Wilbur
04-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone for help an advice.
I know it is not a perfect machine and I know about doing work yourself to cut on shipping and down time.
I am more than willing to do some myself and most likely will but for five yr I don't plan to do much. I have other things I can do while it is gone.
I build cedar chest and swings. I don't rely on the carving for a whole lot although I do have projects I want to do with it.
The whole thing on this that through me was being down for 8 weeks and having to spend 150 to ship back to have it fixed.
I don't blame LHR for this. I don't blame anyone. I was about to ship it when I though about Sears. The warranty they give is what changed my nine. No 200 hr. to look at.
True it cost me 300.00 for five yr warranty but if I had to pay shipping to LHR 2 times in 5 yr that makes up for that money.
I like the machine or I would not be getting another one.
With the problems I have had I think this is a better deal for me.
I think there are a lot of people not having many problems at all with there machines.
I have gone through everything under the cover and understand the working better.
I will just have to wait and see what happens. I will keep everyone advised on how it goes from my site.

Wilbur

Mikewiz
04-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought you didn't have to pay for shipping to and from LHR, while the machine is under warrenty. I sent them mine two times and they payed the shipping. Has this changed? Just wondering even tho mine is no longer under warrenty.

Wilbur
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
They told me last Friday it would be 150.00 which would cover there and back plus Ins for 2000.00.

Doing that twice would cover the 5 yr warranty with Sears. Sears warranty is shipping is free.

Wilbur

Wilbur
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Bud

I have the center line text plus the pattern editor which I got license for. Do you know if it will go with my new machine or not, or would I have to buy this again. I got a 100.00 tied up in that and have never used it.

Wilbur

AskBud
04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
The software is on your PC, not the machine. Therefore, the Centerline and all other purchases will stay in place as you get your new machine. Do not fret.
AskBud

ajk
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I think you may still be able to get it. They did mine a month out and when I asked it it was ok they said no problem and asked if I had any other things I wanted to cover

Hess

i have our machine with sears. a technician from sears came home and they are going to give us a new one. also all our machines are with seaes . you can call sears if you dont have the warranty and purchase the contract.

Wilbur
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I got e-mail from LHR today and the cost to ship back went up to 158.00 from the 150.00

Wilbur

Wilbur
04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I contacted LHR after they checked with me on sending the machine back for repair.
I advised them of what I had done on taking it back for a refund and re-ordered one from Sears with 5 yr warranty.

That was alright with them but they advised me that, sears warranty did not go into effect until after the first yr. and that for the first yr. I would have to contact LHR for any repairs and if it was sent back for repair I would have to ship it to LHR.

I don't mine dealing with LHR on the phone, They are very nice to work with. I will be checking with Sears on this. I know that first yr warranty is by the manufacturer and that is fine with me. The thing is I expect Sears to handle it. If they don't then that will be another story.

"I am glad that you decided to give it another try, but I do want to make you aware of Sear repair. For the first year you will fall under the manufacture warranty and need to contact us for all repairs like you have already, and will still need to ship it to us for any repairs. Sears repair will not take effect until after the first year. The reason I am telling you this is because I am going to be completely honest with you. If you have any more questions please call us at 713-473-6572 or you can email me."

Wilbur

AskBud
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I think someone is not correct!
I have never sent my unit to LHR. I have had 5 different CC's (all new units) from Sear's and every one has been taken in for some repair work "very early" in the first year. Sears does the repair from day one.

True, the "extended" warranty does not start until the end of the 1st year. However, Sears does all the repair.

Think of what the sales person tells you as they sell you the machine: "In the first year, if we can not fix it after 4 trys, we/Sear's replace the product".
AskBud

Wilbur
04-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks Bud

I though so but I'm sure I will find out soon enough. I am ready to get back going. I gave a couple large projects I want to do.

Wilbur